Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-16, 10:23 AM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
The comparison is interesting, but not sure how relevant it is. On a solo 40k for time you would probably take a tri bike. On a group/race 40k you would be on someone's wheel most of the way (I would anyway). Tough to measure responsiveness between a retro roadie and a venge, but to me that is where the important difference would be. Also if you are on a smooth bike then you may not be as worn at the sprint.

Still think the venge would be faster, but maybe due to the aero weight combination, with less aero and some weight factor.
Old 11-28-16, 10:57 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I suspect the differences are measurable at maximum effort by a very fit athlete but not if you're not super fit or you're not pushing yourself to the limit. If either of those is true, the difference is probably insignificant.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-28-16, 11:06 AM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by velofinds
Good posts, thanks.

To the second post, here's a topical video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE_GKePa3CQ

Maybe not non-biased, but interesting viewing nonetheless.
It's not just cross sectional area but also vortex shedding. Cylindrical tubes are oval against the wind. The cross section is circular as a builder would cut the tube, but that is rotated relative to the direction of travel. Circles have really terrible vortex shedding. The way the tube sheds a vortex can decrease the resistance. Cross sections that allow smooth reattachment at the lee (or aft) of the airfoil (tube) decrease the resistance.

Here is a simulation of a cylindrical tube. Notice how there is a "street" of eddies behind the tube:

Better vortex shedding occurs on aerodynamic fins. These have smooth streamline reattachment.
This video shows how the streamlines break down with increasing attack angle. Notice how they start to look like the cylinder linked above.

A lot of work has been done on airplane airfoils. Less work has been done on bikes as there's less money in product design (and if you fall, it's not from the sky), though the same physics applies.

Last edited by TimmyT; 11-28-16 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-28-16, 11:16 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
It's time for me to count my Raleigh among the old bikes with STIs. This is a 1974 Raleigh International. Last week, after the first picture was taken, I replaced the rear derailleur with a new one, as the old one went south.

crank: used Ultegra triple with new RaceFace middle and large chainrings
FD: used Ultegra
RD: new Sora
cassette: new 8-speed
shifters: used Sora, soon to be replaced

The rear derailleur works like a champ. It's led me to realize that these things really do wear out, because my very old 3x7 RSX drivetrain (on another bike) is a lot sloppier, and my 3x9 drivetrain (on anothernother bike) is a little sloppier. This is pretty quick and very quiet. The front is a little troublesome, and I'm hoping the new shifters resolve that.

How do you handle the downshift on this rascal with it on the underside of the shifter?
Old 11-28-16, 11:19 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by DMC707
How do you handle the downshift on this rascal with it on the underside of the shifter?
I reach the thumb button by rotating my hand, pushing my thumb forward.. It may sound awkward, but I'm able to do it quickly and reliable without fumbling or looking, so it works great for me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-28-16, 11:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by TimmyT
A lot of work has been done on airplane airfoils. Less work has been done on bikes as there's less money, though the same physics applies.
Cool stuff, Dr. Tim!

Old 11-28-16, 12:16 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
It's not just cross sectional area but also vortex shedding. Cylindrical tubes are oval against the wind. The cross section is circular as a builder would cut the tube, but that is rotated relative to the direction. Circles have really terrible vortex shedding. The way the tube sheds a vortex can decrease the resistance. Cross sections that allow smooth reattachment at the lee (or aft) of the airfoil (tube) decrease the resistance.

A lot of work has been done on airplane airfoils. Less work has been done on bikes as there's less money, though the same physics applies.
Yes, this is why I'm a believer in aero drop bars, even though only a portion of the bar is in an airfoil shape. I imagine, as someone else noted, this is also very relevant to the shaping of forks. I think it must also be pretty relevant to the head tube, and only marginally on the downtube. Probably seatstays too, upper seattube somewhat, and of course rear wheel.

Of course you can go crazy with this, and apply it to the way all the parts fit together (bottle cages, tube junctions, etc), which is pretty much what some of these modern shaped frame-makers are doing. However, from looking at the published stats I've seen, the frame and standard frame components are a tiny portion of the drag, compared to small changes in rider position, tight/smooth rider clothing, shoe covers, shaving down, aero helmet, aero bars, aero wheels/tires.

At the end of the day, I think the frame gives by far the least bang for the buck on this score. Still, I'm curious to try a truly aero frame one of these days.
Old 11-28-16, 12:33 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevindale
Yes, this is why I'm a believer in aero drop bars, even though only a portion of the bar is in an airfoil shape. I imagine, as someone else noted, this is also very relevant to the shaping of forks. I think it must also be pretty relevant to the head tube, and only marginally on the downtube. Probably seatstays too, upper seattube somewhat, and of course rear wheel.
Interesting. I'd have sort of thought that with all the turbulance due to pedaling, that the shaping of the seattube and rear wheel wouldn't matter as much as the front because the air is all choppy back their anyway (or maybe slicing through that mess would mean it matters more?).
Old 11-28-16, 12:50 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Originally Posted by himespau
Interesting. I'd have sort of thought that with all the turbulance due to pedaling, that the shaping of the seattube and rear wheel wouldn't matter as much as the front because the air is all choppy back their anyway (or maybe slicing through that mess would mean it matters more?).
I think the results from using full disks on the rear wheels shows how useful that can be. But you're probably right about the seat stays, though the more they can help shape that trailing air flow over the rear wheel, the better.
Old 11-28-16, 02:27 PM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
I think the results from using full disks on the rear wheels shows how useful that can be. But you're probably right about the seat stays, though the more they can help shape that trailing air flow over the rear wheel, the better.
Some time ago, there was a post on TdF average speeds from the inception of the race to recent results. A few things give incremental jumps (like index shifting) to the overall trend of faster speeds, but it is really hard to tell what the gains should be attributed to. Certainly, if you took a bike from 40 years ago (say Campag SR 12 speed with round tubes) and tried to race it against a modern bike (say 2x11 speed with aero tubes), it gives an overall slower time. That said, those teams are trying to save fractions of seconds in many cases, so if there were a better design, they would use it.
Old 11-28-16, 07:15 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
A lot of work has been done on airplane airfoils. Less work has been done on bikes as there's less money in product design (and if you fall, it's not from the sky), though the same physics applies.
Well, the fastest bicycles don't depend on airplane airfoils. They've gone beyond that into shapes that allow for highly laminar flows. I went to watch the Human Powered Speed Challenge last September, and one of the fastest bike's runs was spoiled by a bug splat on the shell.

(Yeah, yeah... "they're not real bikes". So sue me.)

Documentary from 2015:
Gag video from 2016:
Cool sound track:

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 11-28-16, 09:41 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Waterford with Ultegra 11 speed

I finally got this together about a month ago. I have been riding and enjoying it as much as possible. I don't care how cold it gets, with this bike sitting in the garage, how can I say, "oh, moan, gripe, its too cold out to ride". I will keep riding until it becomes unsafe, (ie ice on the road.) Funny thing how the world works: as soon as I finished this build, what do you know, along comes another Waterford in just the right size. So, I think I may move all the new components to the "new" frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20161102_135724_resized.jpg (98.5 KB, 471 views)
20161102_135727_resized.jpg (99.5 KB, 472 views)
20161102_135730_resized.jpg (99.3 KB, 472 views)
20161112_085306_resized.jpg (100.4 KB, 472 views)
Old 11-29-16, 09:30 PM
velofinds

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yes, this is why I'm a believer in aero drop bars
What are some concrete examples of aero drop bars? (And are any available with a 26.0mm clamp diameter?)
Old 11-29-16, 11:28 PM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by velofinds
What are some concrete examples of aero drop bars? (And are any available with a 26.0mm clamp diameter?)
Are you talking about these https://www.google.com/search?q=aero...jrAq4Q_AUIBygC seem to be dozens upon dozens out there. Doubt you'll find any 26mm though, but if you're concern is to keep the quill stem there is atleast one classic shaped quill stem out there for the modern larger bar. I'd really like to try an aero bar just for the hand comfort on the flats on long rides, but I really think it would look pretty hideous on my old school bikes, but maybe on a retro roadie all converted to newer styled components might not be too bad.
Old 11-30-16, 12:07 AM
Kevindale

Originally Posted by T Stew
Are you talking about these https://www.google.com/search?q=aero...jrAq4Q_AUIBygC seem to be dozens upon dozens out there. Doubt you'll find any 26mm though, but if you're concern is to keep the quill stem there is atleast one classic shaped quill stem out there for the modern larger bar. I'd really like to try an aero bar just for the hand comfort on the flats on long rides, but I really think it would look pretty hideous on my old school bikes, but maybe on a retro roadie all converted to newer styled components might not be too bad.
Yes to all that. I'm using Bontranger Race Lite Aero drop bars on my Cannondale. Everything I've seen in aero drop bars is black anodized alloy or CG, all in modern stem diameters. It would be cool if someone offered a vintage looking silver alloy bar that worked with vintage quill stems, but I doubt it will happen.

Edit: I'll have to search through this thread to see if anyone has used an aero drop bar on a retro roadie. I know I haven't seen it yet, but would be curious.

Last edited by Kevindale; 11-30-16 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-30-16, 01:28 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
It would be an interesting aero drop bar that allowed the 26.0mm clamp of a quill stem to slip over the aero sections.
Old 11-30-16, 03:20 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I have not seen any in silver. I did find a set of clip on aero bars in silver, but not drop bars. Maybe a DIY project of getting aluminum ones and removing the anodizing? Hmmm. Still be stuck with the 31.8 though.
Old 11-30-16, 04:23 AM
bikebakman

Bikes: Pinarello & Concorde & Cannondale Road, Vitus Adventure, see sig.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
"Celeste" colored Concorde Colombo

The original paint was in very bad condition. So I made a bold decision...

For details, see Classic Vintage Concorde thread.
Old 11-30-16, 09:36 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 69 Posts
Ooh, that Concorde came out beautifully.

Top work.
Old 11-30-16, 04:41 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
It would be an interesting aero drop bar that allowed the 26.0mm clamp of a quill stem to slip over the aero sections.

Like these?

Vintage Scott Drop-In Handlebars 42cm 26mm Greg Lemond TT Triathlon Bars | eBay

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 11-30-16, 08:21 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
My son's new old early 80s Gitane, with 105 brifters.
Attached Images
gitane.jpg (97.3 KB, 816 views)
gitaneheadset.jpg (52.6 KB, 806 views)
gitane der.jpg (46.2 KB, 806 views)
Old 12-05-16, 11:50 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
I got a bit tired of running classically dropped vintage drop bars for rain/commuting duty, as good as it looked, as fun as it was, and as cool as it was to run Sante 7s indexed DT shifters over a Sante FD and Superbe Tech RD. So over the weekend, in addition to tending to five other of my bikes in minor and major ways, my Ross received a mid-cold&soggy season disassembly and cleaning. Creaky and tired 5500 Octalink BB swapped for a much healthier 6500 unit, same 7700 DA cranks, some 1994-era 8-speed Record Ergo levers I got for super cheap (and threw new hoods on), VGC super shiny fun times Mirage RD and 7410 Dura Ace FD. Modern bar conversion (short/shallow Kona compact bars) and cheap "well used" (LBS advertisement of them) Campy 8s wheelset rounded out the changes and I have a very much upgraded commuter.

I really think there is something to replacing the quill stem with an adapter+1 1/8" stem+31.8mm clamp drop bar on an old steel frame. You can choose to do so or keep that classic sexy quill stem (I still do on a few bikes), but the "sureness" and not-jarring ridgidy that comes from such a conversion, especially when out of the saddle, is a great feeling. Regardless, it's a (even more) fun and now noticeably faster ride (I had jockey wheel drag on the Suberbe Tech RD), good thing for the sub-40° weather we have now.

Anyway, bla bla pretty bike safely indoors:

Old 12-06-16, 01:32 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I really think there is something to replacing the quill stem with an adapter+1 1/8" stem+31.8mm clamp drop bar on an old steel frame. You can choose to do so or keep that classic sexy quill stem (I still do on a few bikes), but the "sureness" and not-jarring ridgidy that comes from such a conversion, especially when out of the saddle, is a great feeling...
I'm not feeling it in this case, but I guess a slammed, stubby stem like that has got to be pretty stiff, alright! Something I've never really considered, even though my stems are all rather swan-like 120s and 130s.

Thanks for giving me something new to worry about, next time I'm standing on the pedals trying to catch up the younger, leaner guys waxing me up the hill!

I do like the rest of the bike; reminds me a bit of my Nishiki Landau when I had it set up for winter commuting. You can't see it in this pic, but it has the same bespoke metalic silver panel on the head tube as your Ross. (No brifters, though):

● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 12-06-16 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12-06-16, 06:22 AM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts

Thin tubes look better.
Old 12-06-16, 07:31 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by Soody
Thin tubes look better.
Agree, don't know why and don't care.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.