Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

My hearing is too good

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

My hearing is too good

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-20, 11:40 AM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
My hearing is too good

I love to read the "my bike is making noises" threads, as strange as that sounds. I have posted my share. I'm not a great mechanic, but I have helped a few people find the source of noise on their bikes. I have a checklist, of sorts, that I use when one in my fleet starts clicking, ticking, creaking, or popping. However, I've got one that is driving me mad currently.

The bike is a Fuji Carbon Silhouette. It is making a rhythmic tick, but it is very random. It does it while seated and while standing. It will tick four or five times in a row then be silent for 30 seconds or so. I have replaced the seat post/saddle and the pedals with known quiet ones and the noise remains. The bottom bracket looked and felt fine a few days ago when we checked it. The bike is only a year old, so I don't suspect the bottom bracket. Everything was torqued to specs afterwards. I have checked and lubricated both skewers and made sure they were tight. I also checked every bolt/nut I could find. The chain and the shift cables were just replaced. I have ridden in different pairs of shoes. There is noting hitting or rubbing while I'm pedaling. I'm out of ideas. Please advise before I lose my mind.

I
Old 08-31-20, 01:11 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Wait till something breaks and then you might have found it.