Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Maybe in this endless grass in wind...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Maybe in this endless grass in wind...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-23, 08:04 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Both "Catch-22" and "Zen..." are very different reads on the second go.

The first one is a lot bleaker when you see that the comedy is a coping mechanism and not a farce and all the cruelties hit harder and the comedy becomes sad. People my age were primed by MASH the sitcom and reruns of old Hogan's Heroes and Black Sheep Squadron, and it takes a bit to break out of that mindset. MASH the stage play and movie are much more like Catch-22. No one told me there were lyrics to the theme...

The second one appeals to engineer types in the first half. But if that's what you came for, it doesn't really resolve in a way that it makes you hope for because it's not really about that.

I believe that's intentional.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-07-23 at 08:14 AM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-07-23, 08:17 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
it wasn't a horrible book, but one can avoid the book, if your college English professor tells you why you should read it. meaning. "OK, thanks now I know what I should get out of it" boom, done!
Old 08-07-23, 04:02 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Horrible book.
Agree.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 08-07-23, 04:09 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
@bikelif3

Pirsig's book is problematic as a work of philosophy and as a work of literature, although these may be overlooked somewhat as it is a work of fiction and as such, many shortcomings can be attributed to its characters, including the narrator.

For instance. Here is the passage from the book with more of a pre-amble:

“In my mind, when I look at these fields, I say to her, “See?…See?” and I think she does. I hope later she will see and feel a thing about these prairies I have given up talking to others about; a thing that exists here because everything else does not and can be noticed because other things are absent. She seems so depressed sometimes by the monotony and boredom of her city life, I thought maybe in this endless grass and wind she would see a thing that sometimes comes when monotony and boredom are accepted. It’s here, but I have no names for it.”

Also in the book:

"Zen has something to say about boredom. Its main practice of “just sitting” has got to be the world’s most boring activity… You don’t do anything much: not move, not think, not care. What could be more boring? Yet in the very center of this boredom is the very thing Zen Buddhism seeks to teach. What is it? What is it at the very center of boredom that you’re not seeing?"

I believe the first passage refers to the narrator's ex-wife, who tired of endless motorcycle touring and left him, and also because of the narrator's increasingly anti-social behavior. As he becomes manically obsessed with the impossible goals of relating mechanics to philosophy, and zen Buddhism to Western Philosophy, his interpersonal relationships wither. In the above passage he laments that his ex-wife doesn't share his preferred style of monotony and boredom, which he mistakenly believes akin to zen Buddhist meditation. He feels that if she were exposed to more and more of it, at some point, she'd possibly find enlightenment...and possibly help him attain it too.

One big problem is that the book's narrator, seems to relate the monotony of sitting on a motorcycle while riding through monotonous scenery as an activity akin to zen Buddhist meditation...but it is not. Even monotonous riding "in the zone" occupies parts of the brain, conscious or unconscious with balance, navigation, reading the road and adapting to it (like curves or obstacles) and more. And if one were to encounter traffic, it would force one even further away from pure meditation. Motorcycle touring is an activity and as such fall short of merely sitting still and meditating.

As proof, while he rides, the narrator conducts these philosophical explorations (or 'chautauquas' as he calls them), rather than becoming 'one with everything'. The narrator is really carrying out a Platonic dialogue and even refers to himself as 'Phaedrus'.

I would say, then, that riding a bike would propel one even further from zen Buddhist meditation since in involves more physical activity, and more rigorous activity than riding a motorcycle.

I read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" in high school, again in college, and again in my early thirties. Being younger I assumed those older than I had life sorted out, and that when I was older and wiser I would understand the book better. I recently re-read the book two years ago at age 60 and realized there were no answers in there for me, and the narrator reminded me of my own painfully awkward searches for meaning earlier in my life. Furthermore, as a former English Lit major and as professional writer for almost 40 years (advertising), Pirsig's book is unfocused, misguided and rambling; but again, this can be a deliberate choice and attributed to its narrator.

Still, it gets one thinking...which is very Western Philosophy-like, and very not very zen Buddhism-like.

I understand your attraction to the quote you picked, and how it might resonate with you, but the book has too much baggage for me.
Kudos, I guess, for giving that book more than one reading giving it the best shot you could. Interesting analysis. But, for me, there's so many well-written, interesting books out there, I would never consider re-reading a book I didn't like in the first place to try to figure out if there was something I missed. Never got it's popularity. Same goes for another bad book "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek" by Annie Dillard. Pfew, made it through about 25 pages on that one. Both were popular at a certain time and one "just had to read them".
Old 08-07-23, 07:45 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
You know what's funny .... this post was not about a book ......
Old 08-13-23, 03:45 PM
bikelif3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
You know what's funny .... this post was not about a book ......
You know what's even funnier? It actually WAS about a book.

“We take a handful of sand from the endless landscape of awareness around us and call that handful of sand the world.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Likes For bikelif3:
Old 08-13-23, 03:52 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Actually it was about the boredom of long bike rides possibly revealing something which could not be noticed any other way.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-13-23, 04:22 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
“We take a handful of sand from the endless landscape of awareness around us and call that handful of sand the world.”

When I take a handful of sand I watch it disappear though my fingers. And those are the days of our lives. Rinpoche RSbob.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-13-23, 04:29 PM
Maelochs

Zen and the Art of Internet Garbage-Posting .... Some day everything is going to be smooth like a rhapsody, when I write masterpiece.....
Old 08-13-23, 06:52 PM
bikelif3

Originally Posted by rsbob
When I take a handful of sand I watch it disappear though my fingers. And those are the days of our lives. Rinpoche RSbob.
Zen and the Art of Internet Garbage-Posting .... Some day everything is going to be smooth like a rhapsody, when I write masterpiece.....
Speaking of "garbage posting"..........................
Old 08-13-23, 07:04 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Like the sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.
Likes For base2:
Old 08-13-23, 07:06 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by bikelif3
Dude I am not just a talker.. if I say "garbage-posting," I Do garbage posting. No posing here.
Old 08-13-23, 07:15 PM
bikelif3

Originally Posted by base2
Like the sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.
Dude I am not just a talker.. if I say "garbage-posting," I Do garbage posting. No posing here.
Go make noise on other threads that you don't despise. Plenty of room for us to not butt heads....
Old 08-13-23, 09:56 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

“Garbage in….garbage out”

Old 08-13-23, 10:06 PM
bikelif3

Originally Posted by rsbob
“Garbage in….garbage out”
Just more garbage from you. Go hassle someone else. This thread wants nothing to do with you, yet you keep IMPOSING yourself. I guess that's just the kind of person you are.
Old 08-13-23, 10:15 PM
Maelochs

Dude ... maybe try some of the Zen part of the book .....

Also ..... Victim much? "IMPOSING" myself? I am posting on a public message board. And how would you know what a "thread " wants? Are you assuming this "thread" is a sentient being with its own wants and desires?

Seems to me you just don't like it when people do not agree with you. I notice you didn't reply to any of my earlier posts in this thread .... what, did the thread "want" me then?
Old 08-13-23, 10:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Just more garbage from you. Go hassle someone else. This thread wants nothing to do with you, yet you keep IMPOSING yourself. I guess that's just the kind of person you are.
I can appreciate your philosophical leanings and very much agree with the majority of their tenants. I have taken graduate level religious studies and did a deep dive into Buddhism, but I really don’t see its place being injected into a bicycle forum, just like Christianity, Judaeaism, or any other religious or philosophical bent. You are more than welcome to your beliefs or non-beliefs but a bicycle forum is not the best avenue. That is why you are getting blowback. As is said in public speaking and corporate meetings, “know you audience”. Peace

Old 08-13-23, 10:58 PM
Maelochs

I strongly disagree ... the book actually says it is not accurate about Buddhism or motorcycle maintenance ..... I think what happened here is some folks have insufficient senses of humor, and cannot handle different points of view ..... but there has not been any imposition or even serious discussion of faith or practice, and no disagreement over any faith or practice. Mostly people talked about whether or not they liked certain books.

I am sort of glad people didn't start debating faith here ... we'd end up getting sent to Bike Forum Hades (the Politics and Religion page, the only place on BF worse than A&S. )
Old 08-13-23, 11:53 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
"I thought maybe in this endless grass and wind she would see a thing that sometimes comes when monotony and boredom are accepted. It’s here, but I have no names for it."
Long passing is the time I wait for the e-bike to charge.
Endless grass helps accept monotony and boredom.
I have no thought or names.
She would see a thing that sometimes come.
A full charge.
Old 08-14-23, 03:07 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Go make noise on other threads that you don't despise. Plenty of room for us to not butt heads....

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 08-14-23, 11:04 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Any even remotely related cycling content is gone. This is foo material if anyone wants to start a thread there. Thread closed