Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Wald basket and riser bars

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-08, 12:04 AM
sivat
Geek Extraordinaire

Bikes: Bianchi Advantage Fixed Conversion; Specialized Stumpjumper FS Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Today I tried to put a Wald 151 front basket that I had sitting around onto a bike with 25.4mm riser bars to do a quick errand. I realized that the bar clamps on the basket seem too small for the riser bars. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any solutions. I though about just trying to monkey it into place, but I don't want to scratch up my bars too badly.

Sintesi Conversion Serotta Track
Old 06-02-08, 03:59 AM
robertlinthicum

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I have attached a big Wald basket to a bike with Nitto swept-back style bars before, and recall that the bars I used had to be shimmed to use with the existing (26.0) stem that I used, so I am baffled that the Wald clamp wouldn't fit the smallish 25.4. I wish I could see how you've got the clamp configured. As regards scratching, if the bar is beautiful, I will wrap the bars two or three times with cloth handlebar tape before clamping.

Old 06-02-08, 08:58 AM
Laru

Had the same problem just yesterday. I was able to force the clamp around the bars by sticking a screwdriver thru the top hole and prying the bottom hole of the bracket around the bars. might have to bang on the clamp with the handle of a hammer (don't use the actual hammer head or you could mess up the clamp)

Old 06-02-08, 10:53 AM
stevo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just BOP it into place with a good smack from the heel of your hand.

Scratches smatches.
Old 06-04-08, 12:52 AM
sivat
Geek Extraordinaire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robertlinthicum
I have attached a big Wald basket to a bike with Nitto swept-back style bars before, and recall that the bars I used had to be shimmed to use with the existing (26.0) stem that I used, so I am baffled that the Wald clamp wouldn't fit the smallish 25.4. I wish I could see how you've got the clamp configured. As regards scratching, if the bar is beautiful, I will wrap the bars two or three times with cloth handlebar tape before clamping.
Nitto bars have a larger clamp section, then decrease in diameter just outside the stem clamp. The riser bars keep the 25.4mm diameter for several inches beyond the stem. Also, if the clamp doesn't fit as is, it certainly won't fit if I wrap the bars.

Old 06-04-08, 02:51 AM
robertlinthicum

Originally Posted by sivat
Nitto bars have a larger clamp section, then decrease in diameter just outside the stem clamp. The riser bars keep the 25.4mm diameter for several inches beyond the stem. Also, if the clamp doesn't fit as is, it certainly won't fit if I wrap the bars.
I just checked out the clamps on my big Wald basket (not currently installed), and it appears to be designed for a 26.0 bar, so now I'm stumped.

Old 06-04-08, 06:06 AM
Torrilin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sivat
Is the clamp plastic or metal? If it's plastic, you're right to worry about spreading it. If it's metal, I am confused since Wald seems to understand steel, steel, steel and... steel. Steel bends safely.
Old 06-04-08, 06:41 AM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wrap some rubber around the bar to act as a shim and shock and sound absorbtion device
Old 06-05-08, 01:56 AM
sivat
Geek Extraordinaire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Torrilin
Is the clamp plastic or metal? If it's plastic, you're right to worry about spreading it. If it's metal, I am confused since Wald seems to understand steel, steel, steel and... steel. Steel bends safely.
The clamp is steel, but after spreading it, the holes won't line up to clamp it down. I guess I'll just have to reshape it around some old bars.

Old 06-05-08, 01:57 AM
sivat
Geek Extraordinaire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stringbreaker
Wrap some rubber around the bar to act as a shim and shock and sound absorbtion device
Like I said before, if the clamp is too small without a shim, it's not gonna fit any better if I make the bar bigger.

Old 06-05-08, 01:59 AM
sivat
Geek Extraordinaire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robertlinthicum
I just checked out the clamps on my big Wald basket (not currently installed), and it appears to be designed for a 26.0 bar, so now I'm stumped.
Look at your bars. The clamp area is 26.0, but the actual bars are smaller. 22.2mm if memory serves. I know the basket fits on nitto bars. thats what I took the basket off of. I was curious about mountain bike style bars. Apparently the answer is that nobody knows.

Old 06-05-08, 08:11 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
they've worked for me and friends on MTN bars, I can't understand the problem.....
Old 06-11-08, 10:01 AM
sivat
Geek Extraordinaire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those who are interested, I did some measuring and realized that there is now way to get the clamp to fit around bars that do not have a flared clamp area (i.e. the bars keep the 25.4mmm diameter all the way to the beginning of the rise). For those of you who have figured out a way to make 2.25" of metal stretch to 2.6", congratulations.
I emailed Wald, and they agreed that their current clamp won't fit, but that Swobo just ordered some baskets made that will fit 25.4mm bars. They ordered 100 of each style, but they have been made. Hopefully Wald will add it to their catalog soon.