Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Daytime Flashing Front Light/ Headlight

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-15, 02:54 PM
DTownDave22

Bikes: hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I’m considering purchasing a light that I will use primarily during the daytime, though that doesn't mean I would not use it during the night, though I don't ride when it's dark too often. Most importantly, I am looking for a light that is visible off-axis. In busier traffic areas, I would probably still have a handlebar-mounted light (along with a helmet-mounted light). This is more so for suburban traffic, with effective speeds in 35-50 MPH.

I realize that using a light during daytime is not nearly as noticeable as using one at night, so I don’t need a lecture, please . I'm primarily concerned with balancing slowing down in higher traffic/higher speed areas with increasing visibility.

I’m looking for a light that has these features:

1.)Brightness: It doesn’t have to be much above 200 lumens, though there being at least some added variance of beam spread/pattern from light-to-light in the market, I’m not sure how the Dinotte 200L’s beam spread compares to others, and in turn, effects how visible it is off-axis.

2.)Helmet-mount capable OR considerably visible off-axis during daytime (the former of which I don’t think most lights have the capability of): Doesn’t have to be included with the light, but can be available for purchase. I observed how relatively less noticeable my Dinotte 200L is when it’s off-axis, hence the reason for wanting to add a little bit more safety when I’m approaching cars that are a bit off-axis of my light, so I can turn my head to a car that is most likely not able to see my light, being off-axis and may end up intersecting me when turning.

3.)Durability: Not a light (or a helmet mount, if its beam pattern were to make one use it with one or was designed to be used on the helmet) that you are aware of having durability issues, based on your own experience and/or input of others

4.)Noticeable flash pattern: I’d want a light that has some sort of flash pattern. There is no real industry standard definition for “flash” though. This video for the Dinotte 200L, shows at 0:40, its flash patterns. The first one is something I'd prefer-something rapid (and doesn't turn off), and the second is relatively noticeable too (also doesn't turn off), but the last mode is not really as effective during the day. If its flash pattern is not steady, as in it turns off very briefly, then I would rather it be a non-steady pattern that doesn’t stay off for very long (less than a second). One example appears to possibly be the Vis 360 Plus, which I am considering (but I really can't tell based on the lack of videos). Vis 360 Plus video here at about :28 shows a flash pattern (and off-axis), though it's hard to say if the video is truly telling of how bright it is. It doesn't appear to be quite that bright during daytime hours.

5.) Lower total weight (again, if used on the helmet): My Dinotte 200L + 4 AA batteries + the helmet mount, weighs about 310 grams and I would just stick with it, except that after a good 1 ½ - 2 ½ hours of riding (with no skull cap, it starts to feel painful on the top of my head and will get progressively worse during a ride.

Not necessary, but preferred, would be a light that I can replace batteries on.

It seems that many of the lights I have looked around at, it makes it rather difficult to determine just how effective it would be at accomplishing what I am hoping it would do.

Light & Motion has newer lights (Metro and Urban series) that tend to be a less noticeable flash pattern, which would be fine in darker lighting conditions, but not as much in the daytime. How bright a light is, most importantly, in its flash pattern, is also important, and something just about every company doesn't actually specify. For example, saying a light flashes between 200 and 100 lumens would be helpful, but nonetheless, it's absent from product specs.
Old 03-29-15, 04:22 PM
Looigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I use a Planet Bike Blaze 2W light that uses 2AA batteries. The batteries last quite a few hours in flash mode, but I never determined quantitatively how long. It's probably a bit over 100 lumens and has a intense multi flash (one very bright followed by 3 lesser flashes) that I can see hitting reflective signs up ahead when cloudy or just after the sun starts setting. Weight is 126gm with bar mount. It doesn't come with or have a helmet mount that I'm aware of. I think you can find the lights for around $30.
Old 03-30-15, 06:01 AM
GaIslander

Bikes: Trek Domane 6.0 DI2, Trek Domane 4, Trek Marlin 6, Trek FX 7.5, Electra Townie Path

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently went to a Cygolite Metro 400 as a result of some friends experience and recommendation's. I have been very happy with it. They work great and are very effective. I use much as you describe always during the day. I got the combo package with the tail light which also works very well. I can happily recommend this light group.
Old 03-30-15, 10:57 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Light and Motion makes the Vis 360 and Vis 360+ that both have amber side marking lights. I use mine on flash during the day paired with a brighter flashing handlebar mounted light and get good results with the pair.
Old 03-30-15, 12:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
I think it's fine for you to search for and use such a light. My advice is not to rely on the light to make you safe. Mostly, it's a matter of where and how you choose to ride. A light as a supplement isn't a bad idea. I use something more modest than the light of your description. I just use a dynamo-powered steady headlight.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-30-15, 02:42 PM
DTownDave22

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Looigi
I use a Planet Bike Blaze 2W light that uses 2AA batteries. The batteries last quite a few hours in flash mode, but I never determined quantitatively how long. It's probably a bit over 100 lumens and has a intense multi flash (one very bright followed by 3 lesser flashes) that I can see hitting reflective signs up ahead when cloudy or just after the sun starts setting. Weight is 126gm with bar mount. It doesn't come with or have a helmet mount that I'm aware of. I think you can find the lights for around $30.
Any video of the light in flash mode or possibly you being able to provide a video? I am doubtful there are many (if any) lights available that when handlebar-mounted, are visible off-axis..
Old 03-30-15, 02:45 PM
DTownDave22

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GaIslander
I recently went to a Cygolite Metro 400 as a result of some friends experience and recommendation's. I have been very happy with it. They work great and are very effective. I use much as you describe always during the day. I got the combo package with the tail light which also works very well. I can happily recommend this light group.
1.) How many years have you been using that same light?

2.) Do you use it on your helmet, and if so, how is the mount regarding durability and in keeping the light stationary.

3.) "Very effective" is not very informing for me--I am a bit detail-oriented as you can observe. Is the flash pattern noticeable?
Old 03-30-15, 03:14 PM
DTownDave22

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
I think it's fine for you to search for and use such a light. My advice is not to rely on the light to make you safe. Mostly, it's a matter of where and how you choose to ride. A light as a supplement isn't a bad idea. I use something more modest than the light of your description. I just use a dynamo-powered steady headlight.
Well, I'm just SO glad I have your permission to research a light. Thank you so very, very much!

Mostly, I don't have too many choices about where to ride in the manner I like to ride (keeping it above 10 MPH), and I am aware to an extent that it's about risk mitigation in using lights--making eye contact, slowing down to avoid risk at intersections, and I'm sure there's still much more I could learn about regarding riding safety. Including every single detail and thought I have regarding my question in my initial post seems to result in an overwhelming amount of information and even fewer people responding with helpful posts.

I enjoy riding on the trails nearest to me to a moderate extent, but prefer road riding, and do about 5-10% of my mileage on said trails. The roads that are in good physical condition around me, that offer relatively seamless riding (not too high of speed limits, not too stop-and-go as in too many stop signs) are not plentiful, as it is suburban Detroit--there is one road in particular that I am primarily concerned with, and ride on it because of repairs on a bridge for an alternate N-W running road is still in-progress.
Old 03-30-15, 03:46 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GaIslander
+1

Cygolite sells a helmet mount separately.

I wrote this a while back:
Originally Posted by Athens80
...I don't own a Cygolite headlight myself, but I ride with someone who does, and I'm impressed. At circa $50 they provide a flash mode that is very visible in full sunlight -- they brand it as "DayLightning™" and says it's brighter than the high steady mode on the same light.

If that's in the range of what you're willing to spend, this is a worthwhile fulfillment for your visibility objective. ...

At $50 the Cygolite Metro 360 USB Bicycle Headlight is an attractive option. 4.6-star rated.

The Metro 400 appears to be the current model at this performance point. It's available at [$49] at the same site. It's 5-star rated but with [16] reviews so far.

Metro 400 Product Description
  • 400 lumen output with a 4 watt Cree X-Lamp LED
  • DayLightning flash mode boosts 500+ lumens of lightning-like flashes for added day riding safety
  • Custom TIR optics maximizes beam angle and throw
  • Water resistant design for all riding conditions
  • 1:45-12 hr run time
  • 6 lighting modes: Bicycle: High, Medium, Low, SteadyPulse, DayLightning, and special: Walking
  • USB rechargeable internal Li-ion battery with 5hr charge time
  • 24/7 Safety Technology features SteadyPulse to alert night time motorists with pulses while constantly lighting your path, and DayLightning for boosted output in lightning-like flashes to enhance rider visibility in peak daylight
  • Includes handlebar mount
  • 110g
And now there's a "Metro 500" version and a 550.

edit: I see that the Metro 550 Claims a wider beam:
Product Description[h=3][/h]This Product is 550 lumen output with a 5w Cree XM-L LED. DayLightning flash mode boosts 600+ lumens of lightning-like flashes for added day riding safety. New oval spread Enhanced Cycling Optic shines and extra wide beam and distant throw. Water resistant design for all riding conditions. 6 modes (3 steady 2 flashing and 1 walking). USB rechargeable internal Li-ion battery. Side illumination ports for added visibility 1:30 ~ 10 hour run time. 110g.Made in United States.

Last edited by Athens80; 03-30-15 at 06:27 PM. Reason: More info
Old 03-31-15, 09:00 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80
The handlebar clamp shown on that page is the type of stuff we don't see enough of. That's a serious clamp that looks easy to use. I'm really tired of all these fancy rubber bands.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-01-15, 08:39 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I use a Fenix BT-20 as a day time light.
Old 04-01-15, 01:55 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
The Magicshine 808 makes a good daytime front flasher. The beam angle is not particularly wide on this headlamp (or ANY headlamp for that matter). It flashes at a good frequency/duration to be noticed by motorists, at full power. Battery life is perhaps 6 hrs on flash, so you'd only need to recharge ever few days depending on length of commute. I wouldn't want it on my helmet. Action LED sells the best/original version of this light at a fair price and with excellent service. You can get clones of this light for less, but they won't last very long, particularly the battery.

Action-LED-Lights ? Magicshine MJ-808-L2, 4 Mode Bike Light with CREE XM-L2 led

OP, I also wear hi-vis shirts in lime or orange for daylight conspicuity. I wear long sleeves for sun protection, even in the summer, plus the long sleeves increase hi-vis profile.
Old 04-01-15, 08:00 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Go big or go home. I have the NiteFlux Red Zone 8 and it's awesome. Them make versions for daytime too. Pretty much exactly what the OP was asking for.

Store

J.
Old 04-01-15, 09:28 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Go big or go home. I have the NiteFlux Red Zone 8 and it's awesome. Them make versions for daytime too. Pretty much exactly what the OP was asking for.
Store
J.
I like the concept so much that I bought the earlier white version. In less than three months the unit failed completely and NiteFlux completely failed to stand behind their product. I expect these lights work for most people and they make a lot of sense as a be-seen product. But after numerous emails to NiteFlux service over a period of months in which they said they'd replace the faulty light but never actually did anything, I can't recommend NiteFlux to others.
Old 04-01-15, 10:24 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Been very happy with mine and have had nice correspondence with customer service.