Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Bicycle tickets in NYC

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-23, 11:40 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
There's another context here, specific to what we see in NYC today. Right now, the bike lanes have become quite a mess. (Law of unintended consequences, of course). But, if you roll back five years or so, it seems the bike lane implementations were a big success. CitiBikes, delivery workers, clipped-in roadies, fixies, all getting along, pedaling peacefully.

Then came the motorized crowd. Ahem. I'm not talking about a little bit of pedal assist. I'm talking about cats cruising up the 6th Ave bike lane at 30+ MPH. I'm talking about motorized scooters and motorized unicycles (whatever you call them). Grocery delivery guys are "salmoning" the wrong way with 100 lbs of cargo in a trailer. Dudes who think they're some Marvel superhero flying their motorized skateboard at 25mph with a full-face motorcycle helmet. One of these jokers hits you when you're properly crossing the street...

So, I get that many people are on wheels trying to make a living. However, anyone with a motor can live in the lanes of other motor vehicles; sorry, but they'll have to be the small fish in the big lane, not the other way around. As a cyclist and pedestrian, I see that there needs to be a much more significant dose of enforcement. People are getting hurt now, where more mass at more speed is involved - there's a boatload of momentum in these situations and not a lot of skill/brainpower. Not a coincidence that OP's ticket said "E-bike." THAT's the statistic that law enforcement is trying to tweak.