Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel seems off-center

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wheel seems off-center

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-08, 08:38 PM
AKRX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheel seems off-center

I am not too sure if it was like this when I got it, but it seems weird. My rear tire has plenty of clearance from the chainstay on the drivetrain side, but on the disc side, there is very little. This becomes a pain when I'm in the mud. Could this be part of the bikes design, or does something smell odd about this? Could there be something wrong with the hub's alignment, or is it a bent frame? Can you fix a bent aluminum mountain bike frame?

I can't see whether or not the wheel is aligned with the seatstay. The toptube obstructs my view.
Old 05-03-08, 08:50 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
My bet is that your rear wheel's "dish" is off. A quick, dirty way to check is reinstall your wheel in the frame backward. If the clearance is now on the non-drive side you need to have your wheel's dish corrected.
Old 05-03-08, 08:52 PM
SweetLou

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Flip the wheel and see if you have the same problem with the other side.
Old 05-03-08, 09:40 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
If the QR isn't tight enough, you can "pull" that side forward under hard pedaling.
Old 05-03-08, 09:43 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
If the QR isn't tight enough, you can "pull" that side forward under hard pedaling.
I doubt that's it in this case. I haven't seen any rear disc brake bikes with horizontal dropouts.
Old 05-03-08, 10:32 PM
sivat
Geek Extraordinaire

Bikes: Bianchi Advantage Fixed Conversion; Specialized Stumpjumper FS Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I doubt that's it in this case. I haven't seen any rear disc brake bikes with horizontal dropouts.
The surly karate monkey is that way.

Sintesi Conversion Serotta Track
Old 05-04-08, 11:36 AM
AKRX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I flipped the wheel, and when I do, it is almost centered (there is still a bit less on the left chainstay, where the disc would have been.

So... bent frame AND unaligned wheelset? I think I might just take it in to the shop and have them set up the wheel so the clearance centers.
Old 05-04-08, 11:59 AM
Servo888

Bikes: k2 Zed 3.0

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I was going to post a similar thread; but I think I have the same issue. If I look down the back of my bike, and the rear wheel is 1/4" off center from the top tube. I'm 100% sure it's not a bent frame, because the wheel is on there perfectly (parallel to the frame), it's just 'pushed' to one side. The interesting thing is that I'm also 80% sure (still need to double check) that the wheel fits perfectly on my other frame.
Old 05-04-08, 04:13 PM
SweetLou

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AKRX
Well, I flipped the wheel, and when I do, it is almost centered (there is still a bit less on the left chainstay, where the disc would have been.

So... bent frame AND unaligned wheelset? I think I might just take it in to the shop and have them set up the wheel so the clearance centers.
Check to see if the frame is straight. I doubt if you have the tool, but you can use string. Take the rear wheel off the bike. Tie a piece of string around one of the dropouts, take the string to the other drop out, then up to the head tube, around the bike to the original dropout, then tie the string off to something. Make sure the string sections from the head tube to the dropouts go through the drop outs at the same place and nothing is causing one to be pushed out. Measure the distance from the seat tube to the string on both sides, they should be equal.
Old 05-04-08, 04:15 PM
SweetLou

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Servo888
I was going to post a similar thread; but I think I have the same issue. If I look down the back of my bike, and the rear wheel is 1/4" off center from the top tube. I'm 100% sure it's not a bent frame, because the wheel is on there perfectly (parallel to the frame), it's just 'pushed' to one side. The interesting thing is that I'm also 80% sure (still need to double check) that the wheel fits perfectly on my other frame.
Well, if the wheel is dished correctly, then you should have the same problems with both bikes. If not, then one of your bikes' frame is bent. Or you have one of those strange offset chainstay bikes. Do the string test that I mentioned above.