Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Bruce Gordon Interview in Adventure Cyclist 2:2013

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-13, 09:16 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts

Might be required reading if you're thinking about entering the frame building business. Warning, Mr. Gordon has a pretty negative frame [pun] of mind about tourers and business side of bike building.
Old 02-08-13, 12:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I think there is an Intervention for any one delusional about being the next Framebuilder-God..
Old 02-09-13, 01:18 AM
MassiveD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have heard that rant before, and would love to read the article. He is right, and any competition one can scare away, well, all the better. Frame building is not really automatable like say the Phil Wood business. And worse still, frame builders tend to stick with every bogus old world shortcut, that now stands for premium construction at a snaiil's pace. They have made a virtue out of inefficient. There are people who believe that writing with a quill pen on hand made paper is a better way to communicate. Then you have people who still write letters, but send them by email. And then you have the tweeting, burping, folks. It is all good, but you know which one the frame makers are more like.

The thing I always wonder about Bruce Gordon is he was in Cali during the last decade and with a machine shop and staff welder. How did he miss out cashing in on the whole chopper craze?
Old 02-09-13, 04:35 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Maybe BG felt that he needed to "be the engine". Andy.
Old 02-09-13, 06:53 PM
Cassave

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I met BG in late 1979, at his home in Eugene. I was building at the time and wanted to meet him. I called and he said come over and see the shop. I asked about the local market for frames and his simple answer was, non-existent, you need to build for the entire country if you want to make an even meager living. Kind of discouraging but I know he was right. He told me to wander around and see the shop while he went off to take care of something. About ten minutes later he came back, I thanked him for his time, bought a few tubes from his stash and split.

I came away with two impressions, Bruce Gordon is a man of very few words and I better get a day job.