Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sold a bike on CL out of state but am paranoid

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-15, 03:23 PM
joe englert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Several weeks ago I put a vintage bike for sale on craigslist. A few days later a guy from another state said he wanted it and would send a money order. A day or two later a local guy told me he wanted the bike but I told him I already said I would sell it to the out of state customer, at which point the local customer told me about these scams going down on craigslist. Checking the computer, I did see there were con men out there ripping people off by sending phony money orders. Well, it's been about 3 weeks now and my bank hasn't sent me any notice that the money order bounced so I'm wondering if I should send the bike out. Looking back, it does seem a bit funny how the guy didn't want any more pictures of the bike (I only posted one non drive side picture) and he didn't ask me for a more detailed description. It was a western union money order and I did go to a local western union office the day after I got it, to see if they would cash it. The girl in the office said they would but they wanted my social and when I asked her why, she said because if the money order was no good, they would come after me...so I decided to cash it at my bank of america. Any advice appreciated.
Old 09-26-15, 03:42 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 612 Posts
I'd check with your bank to make sure the money order has cleared OK before shipping the bike. I would have insisted on a USPS money order, Western Union MO's are evidently fairly easy to fake.
Old 09-26-15, 03:57 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,608 Times in 3,787 Posts
I don't ship anything I sell on CL. That is what Ebay is for. YMMV.
Old 09-26-15, 03:59 PM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts
Once you deposit it is when the issue arises I thought. I never deal with money orders anymore and haven't in years. Has the person replied back asking about the bike since it's been three weeks?

At first I thought you meant Classic Randevous from the title.
Old 09-26-15, 04:16 PM
MadKaw

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Course, 1993 Trek 8000, 2016 Diamondback Haanjo Comp, 2018 Marin B-17, 2018 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
For future reference: Western Union also offers electronic transfers. They can take cash to their WU office, it is sent directly to your WU office or bank.
Old 09-26-15, 06:20 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
I don't ship anything I sell on CL. That is what Ebay is for. YMMV.
+1. That being said, once the MO clears your good to go. If it hasn't cleared by now sell it local.
Old 09-26-15, 06:40 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
don't over-think it.

i've sold/sent all kinds of stuff through my craigs ad to out of towners.

just use paypal.
Old 09-26-15, 07:37 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
I guess I wouldn't take a money order.

A few years ago, my brother in law was selling a drum on CL. He gets a reply from a guy who says he wants to buy the drum, but he's on tour and he'd be swinging by in a month or two. We tried to figure out the angle he was playing- couldn't think of the scam. He sent a deposit on the drum, so he wouldn't sell it. So, gave real money, but didn't ask for cash back, didn't ask for the drum- he was going to swing by when his band came through and he was offering tickets to see his band.

So I'm thinking, this guy is on "tour" and his ****ty band is going to be at Quarters on a Wednesday nite or something.

So then find out- it's Marco from Robert Plant's Band of Joy. My BIL's wife couldn't make it, so I went with him. I was within spitting distance of Robert Plant (if I was a really good spitter). At the "after party," Robert Plant walked sort of past me... that man has a really special... "aura" about him. I'm not the total "hero worshiper" type- but I turned into a giddy high school girl.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-26-15, 09:10 PM
The Pedalphile

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Normally the scam involves the buyer having their "shipper" come to get the item at some point. Are you supposed to ship the bike? Pretty unusual it's been 3 weeks and the buyer hasn't asked about the bike being shipped. Any other weird details like paying extra for your trouble or anything like that?
Old 09-26-15, 09:47 PM
joe englert

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Well, he has been asking about the bike and I tell him that I need to make sure the money order is good. He has been pretty patient and so far has been cool about it. He told me before we did the deal, that he would pay my LBS for boxing and shipping, I told him about the shop and it is advertised on the internet and they know me really well, so there is no problem about him not trusting me. As far as the money order clearing...I asked him to talk to the place in Denver Co. where he got the money order and tell them that i need proof that the money order is legit and has cleared...once that is done, I can ship out the bike. I dont know, maybe I am being too careful, after all, it has been about 3 weeks since I cashed it at my bank and I haven't heard that it has bounced. At the same time, my local bank can not tell me that it has cleared either...with my luck, the day after I ship the bike out, the bank will tell me that the money order has bounced.
Originally Posted by The Pedalphile
Normally the scam involves the buyer having their "shipper" come to get the item at some point. Are you supposed to ship the bike? Pretty unusual it's been 3 weeks and the buyer hasn't asked about the bike being shipped. Any other weird details like paying extra for your trouble or anything like that?
Old 09-26-15, 10:42 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
When I took a money order for a frame I sold on eBay, I called my bank to ask how long after depositing it would take them find out if it was fraudulent. They said wait ten days, check my online bank statement, and if the deposit wasn't reversed by then, it was a good MO. My buyer had agreed that I could take up to two weeks to ship while this scenario played out.

The MO cleared and the buyer got her Miyata, it just took a little longer is all. She really hated PayPal for some reason.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 09-27-15, 05:44 AM
jcl1988

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recommend only ship items with a paypal invoice. both sides will be covered. Another benefit is they charge only 4% while eBay charges 11%. The local customer is right you can easily scam with money orders.
Old 09-27-15, 05:46 AM
italianbiker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You should be paranoid. But, I've always heard 30 days to clear. Do you have the guys address for shipping? If so Google the address.
Just curious how much was the bike, no negotiation and he knows the MO has to clear.

So, why is he rushing you? Just wait, the money is not in your account. Its standard policy for MO's to clear before shipping takes place. Actually, even WU is paranoid!! They took you SS number, if they didn't think there was risk involved they would have just say hi and bye.

Last edited by italianbiker; 09-27-15 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-27-15, 08:37 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
The MO cleared and the buyer got her Miyata, it just took a little longer is all. She really hated PayPal for some reason.
Originally Posted by jcl1988
I recommend only ship items with a paypal invoice. both sides will be covered. Another benefit is they charge only 4% while eBay charges 11%. The local customer is right you can easily scam with money orders.
It's a sad state of affairs when Paypal of all places is more secure than MO... Back in the day I didn't trust them at all - just a couple of kids running the show, no website, impossible to get any contact number and more impossible to actually get through to someone, and way to easy to have your entire attached bank account seized if there was anything shady going on - even if you were not involved but the guy on the other end was, class action lawsuits against them and all sorts of stuff. I only used money orders - or actually my banks online bill payer which mailed out certified bank check direct from the bank on my behalf. But I guess paypal is a legit company now-a-days.
Old 09-27-15, 08:46 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
If you didn't tell him you were going to make him wait on the front end, it is gross to demand he do so on the back side. It's your fault for not doing proper research on the front end. I'd be far less patient were I him.

PayPal isn't necassarilly 100% safe either...though I've yet to have a problem. If the buyer gets his card to cancel the sale, PayPal will recover from seller. At least that's how it worked a few years back; their poilices change monthly, so they may have added protection.
Old 09-27-15, 09:08 AM
gioscinelli 

Bikes: 2012 Moots VaMoots-74 Peugeot Mixtie U018-73 Peugeot U018

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I've shipped a few bikes that I sold on CL, using Paypal for payment and the buyer would pay fee's and shipping, both used Gift, it's like cash. Of course they objected, I said like it's cash when buying in person. Now over the last few years I discovered that if the buyer uses Paypal with their credit card, they can open a dispute through their credit card holder up to 90 days! And Paypal will go after the seller by deducting the amount, from the sellers account!!! The only secure way is cash in a face to face transaction.
Old 09-27-15, 09:28 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by eschlwc
just use paypal.
+1. The bike is vintage. Payment is modern.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 09-27-15, 09:29 AM
jcl1988

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used paypal since 2012 doing multiple sneaker sales a month and have had zero issues. as long as you honest with your descriptions and proved pictures of the item you will have no issues with paypal.
Old 09-27-15, 09:41 AM
arimajol

Bikes: Some old steel, some new steel

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I guess I wouldn't take a money order.

A few years ago, my brother in law was selling a drum on CL. He gets a reply from a guy who says he wants to buy the drum, but he's on tour and he'd be swinging by in a month or two. We tried to figure out the angle he was playing- couldn't think of the scam. He sent a deposit on the drum, so he wouldn't sell it. So, gave real money, but didn't ask for cash back, didn't ask for the drum- he was going to swing by when his band came through and he was offering tickets to see his band.

So I'm thinking, this guy is on "tour" and his ****ty band is going to be at Quarters on a Wednesday nite or something.

So then find out- it's Marco from Robert Plant's Band of Joy. My BIL's wife couldn't make it, so I went with him. I was within spitting distance of Robert Plant (if I was a really good spitter). At the "after party," Robert Plant walked sort of past me... that man has a really special... "aura" about him. I'm not the total "hero worshiper" type- but I turned into a giddy high school girl.
Nice Quarters Rock'n'Roll Palace reference!
Old 09-27-15, 09:43 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by jcl1988
I used paypal since 2012 doing multiple sneaker sales a month and have had zero issues. as long as you honest with your descriptions and proved pictures of the item you will have no issues with paypal.
The problem is that when you're one dude selling the occasional higher end bike, that one time it does happen can be a killer. It's one thing to sell $100,000 of something a year and get boned on $1,000. That's a cost of doing business. If you're a hobbyist and get nailed with it, it's different.

That said - this is 100% the seller's fault and I can't believe he'd expect the buyer to sit on it for a month when that wasn't agreed to on the front end. For all the talk about seller challenges doing business on CL, imagine how buyers feel after reading this.
Old 09-27-15, 09:50 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
I only use US Postal Money orders. The counter folk are trained to spot fakes, and once they cash it there for you, you're good to go. I count on their natural caution and slow, methodical inspection of the money order. I have stood in line at a Post Office and watched a lady try to cash fake ones. She pulled the "angry customer" routine when they balked, and they quietly asked her to step aside, the postmaster would come out and see to her needs. 5 minutes later, he did, with a police officer.

I've used Western Union, but just don't like it. I've also used WalMart, and it's pretty easy, charges less than PayPal.

I like PayPal's convenience, but they absolve themselves of much liability if the money they're given to give to you is worthless.
I don't like that they have their hands in your account, already.

While it's easy to get irritated with the "systems," it's always people.
Old 09-27-15, 09:51 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I only use US Postal Money orders. The counter folk are trained to spot fakes, and once they cash it there for you, you're good to go. I count on their natural caution and slow, methodical inspection or the money order.

I have stood in line at a Post Office and watched a lady try to cash fake ones. She pulled the "angry customer" routine when they balked, and they quietly asked her to step aside, the postmaster would come out and see to her needs. 5 minutes later, he did, with a police officer.

I've used Western Union, but just don't like it. I've also used WalMart, and it's pretty easy, charges less than PayPal.

I like PayPal's convenience, but they absolve themselves of much liability if the money they're given to give to you is worthless.
I don't like that they have their hands in your account, already.

While it's easy to get irritated with the "systems," it's always people.
+1 - postal orders or wire transfers. I will use PayPal for ease of use, and because I almost never have problems with bike people, but I know there's a risk factor.
Old 09-27-15, 10:49 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by arimajol
Nice Quarters Rock'n'Roll Palace reference!
You get it!

I was going to say Cactus Club- but good bands will play there on Wednesdays... then I thought The Stork Club, and realized no one ever went there, and then remembered, I've never seen a full good night of music at Quarters.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-27-15, 12:47 PM
italianbiker

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
But even though the seller didn't tell the customer that the check should clear. There is a reasonable understanding that a transaction such as this involves that the MO has to clear. Sure, its a pain in the ass, but thats why I just use PP. I imagine the seller is calling his bank waiting for the release of funds.

If he was a business then I would hold him to maybe more rigorous standards, but Its just a guy selling his old bike on CL.
Old 09-27-15, 01:11 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Can you ask your bank how long it'll take to clear?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.