Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Huffy Breaking Away road bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-16, 02:57 PM
Archerobx

Bikes: Giant Contend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Huffy Breaking Away road bike

I bought this bike because it was only one that fit me and in good shape. It needs new tires.
I can't find anything on Internet about it.

The last number on serial I thought was the manufacturing year but that doesn't coincide with the movie .
Also HC are the first digits in serial and that is for a different bike.

Just wondering if y'all knew anything or where to look
Thank you

Old 04-09-16, 02:58 PM
Archerobx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 04-09-16, 02:58 PM
Archerobx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 04-09-16, 03:06 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
Standard bottom level department store bike. No significant value, but if it fits, and works properly, then go ride it and have fun.

One problem with that level of bike, is that the steel rims are not very good for braking, especially when wet. I suggest going to a bike shop and asking for some new, good quality brake pads, to replace those that are probably old & crusty.

What's wrong with the tires ? Maybe just needs fresh air, or possibly only tubes ??
Or are there problems that don't show in the pictures ??

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 04-09-16 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-09-16, 06:44 PM
Archerobx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tires are dry rotted . Guy who 90 years old. Rode it till he was 89.

I know it's a huffy and not valuable but I was trying to find out about the bike just so I could answe question
Old 04-10-16, 06:52 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Why does the year have to match up with the movie? As long as it continues to sell in profitable volumes, they will continue producing it. In this case, the bicycles were launched in the late summer of 1980, a year after the movie, almost certainly as part of a tie in for the upcoming but short lived Breaking Away television series, which aired that fall and winter.
Old 04-12-16, 11:20 AM
joe englert

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Yeah...how can such a great movie ...give birth to such a lousy TV series....I watched about 10 min of one episode and almost lost it. Momma Mia. " Ats'a some lousy acting.
Old 04-12-16, 11:22 AM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by joe englert
Yeah...how can such a great movie ...give birth to such a lousy TV series....I watched about 10 min of one episode and almost lost it.
Same reason some sequels to great movies are so horrible.
Old 04-12-16, 11:29 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
The cables on that thing are a mess.
Old 04-12-16, 03:32 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'll give ya $5 for it...
Old 04-12-16, 07:34 PM
Archerobx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol
It's mine and I'm riding the heck out of it
Old 04-13-16, 06:20 PM
Fuzzy2964
Fuzzy

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, a number of 80's steel bikes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Archerobx
Lol
It's mine and I'm riding the heck out of it
I like that kinda attitude. Yours - your fine with it - ride it. Does appear to need a bit of attention though.
Old 04-13-16, 06:38 PM
Archerobx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes she does . I have a race in May that I need to trane for.
I signed up first before owning a bike
Old 04-13-16, 06:48 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
According to what I know about Huffy VIN numbers is the first 2 letters are "Huffy Corporation" and the #4 would mean a 1984.

I ride the heck out of a 1988 Huffy Techtra Lite road bike and LOVE the ride! My Huffy actually came with alloy 27" Araya rims and I upgraded to alloy bars and Diacompe aero brake levers and Diacompe calipers.........

Old 04-14-16, 12:08 AM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
breaking away ...

trade it in for a masi gran criterium.

Old 05-26-16, 06:04 AM
Hutchomelb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Breaking away to series

I bought this bike because it was only one that fit me and in good shape. It needs new tires.
I can't find anything on Internet about it.

The last number on serial I thought was the manufacturing year but that doesn't coincide with the movie .
Also HC are the first digits in serial and that is for a different bike.

Just wondering if y'all knew anything or where to look
Thank you

Hey there. Saw your post. Breaking Away to series was shot in the 80s. He rode a Huffy. Check it out on YouTube. I'm watching now
Old 05-26-16, 06:42 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Unless the OP's bicycle has an extra long seat post, my guess is that the frame will soon be damaged. That long post, improperly inserted to an acceptable depth will, sooner or later, and probably sooner, stretch the seat lug out of shape. I have seen this happen many times.

Also, I will watch the movie later today. I have an original copy. I have never seen the series, nor would I want to if the acting and props are bad.
Old 05-26-16, 07:44 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Yes she does . I have a race in May that I need to trane for.
I signed up first before owning a bike
You are racing on this bike??? Wow, you have guts.
Old 05-26-16, 08:04 AM
Archerobx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why? Is the bike unsafe?

I raced it in a sprint tri . I did break a rear spoke
Old 05-26-16, 08:54 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Why? Is the bike unsafe?

I raced it in a sprint tri . I did break a rear spoke
Well, the steel rims mean poor braking, which could be unsafe for you and those around you. I couldn't say about the rest of the bike. I can say it was a low end bike even when it was new that would never have been used for racing. And now in the days of incredibly light and stiff carbon bikes, it seems kinda nuts to race this boat anchor. I don't mean to be insulting, but it's pretty bizarre!
Old 05-26-16, 09:07 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by lostarchitect
Well, the steel rims mean poor braking, which could be unsafe for you and those around you. I couldn't say about the rest of the bike. I can say it was a low end bike even when it was new that would never have been used for racing. And now in the days of incredibly light and stiff carbon bikes, it seems kinda nuts to race this boat anchor. I don't mean to be insulting, but it's pretty bizarre!
Well, it's better than turning up on an ATB with wide, knobby tyres, which is what a lot of tri-newbies do. However, it makes sense to attempt your first few triathlons on an existing or inexpensive bicycle, until you get an idea of whether you wish to pursue the sport. There's no sense spending a lot of money on something that might just end up sitting in the garage or basement after the first event or two. In my region the organizers have events that are even shorter than Sprint distance triathlons, which they call Try-A-Tri that are intended for novices.

Last edited by T-Mar; 05-26-16 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-26-16, 09:18 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
When I got and built up my first vintage road bicycle, I thought that I really had something. Of course, I was a newbie then and didn't have a clue about ride quality, component quality or even if the bicycle was a proper fit for me(it wasn't). I see this sort of thing all the time, with people new to the interest of vintage bicycles. In fact, that was one of the main reasons that I built MY "TEN SPEEDS" so that I could help others make wise choices when seeking a vintage bicycle.

Is the bicycle unsafe to ride the way it is? Absolutely! The braking system alone would cause me considerable concern. I know, from experience, that the stoppers will not stop properly, particularly when you really really need them to do so.

Racing - not the best plan, by far. That bicycle is a heavy noodle. Its weight a lot, probably close to 35 pounds, and will flex like crazy. Its gearing is questionable for racing purposes. The weight, the gearing, the geometry and the flexibility makes the machine uncompetitive, by today's standards.

But ride the heck out of it anyway. It is your bicycle and you will learn, assuming that you get and keep the vintage bug. Come back to this thread, in a year or two, assuming that the Huffy does not kill your riding interest completely, and see if you agree/understand what some of other forum members have said. You just might agree.

Wish I could allow you a few rides on my Cyclops - now there is a good bicycle, in my opinion.
Old 05-26-16, 10:55 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Well, it's better than turning up on an ATB with wide, knobby tyres, which is what a lot of tri-newbies do. However, it makes sense to attempt your first few triathlons on an existing or inexpensive bicycle, until you get an idea of whether you wish to pursue the sport. There's no sense spending a lot of money on something that might just end up sitting in the garage or basement after the first event or two. In my region the organizers have events that are even shorter than Sprint distance triathlons, which they call Try-A-Tri that are intended for novices.

Hey, I say good on him for making the effort! It'll strengthen his legs, that's for sure. The braking does concern me, though.
Old 05-26-16, 12:10 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by randyjawa
...Is the bicycle unsafe to ride the way it is? Absolutely! The braking system alone would cause me considerable concern. I know, from experience, that the stoppers will not stop properly, particularly when you really really need them to do so...
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
Hey, I say good on him for making the effort! It'll strengthen his legs, that's for sure. The braking does concern me, though.
Vintage single pivot calipers on steel rims are perfectly adequate, provided they are properly adjusted and not ridden in the rain, where breaking performance is severely hampered. Performance may not be up to current state of the art with dual pivot calipers and aluminum rims, but that does not mean that they are unsafe. That would be like me saying that your car's brakes are unsafe because they don't generate the braking power of a set of carbon fibre discs and pads.
Old 05-26-16, 04:20 PM
Archerobx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The reason I bought this bike and raced it was because it was $50 and fit me. I was given a free and much lighter Bridgestone but sold it because it was really small.

I would love one those fancy expensive racing bikes but I am Mr.Mom with three boys. I can not justify spending 300-500 dollars on a bike for me

As a noob to riding and triathlons, I have no idea about bikes. I have a race in August and I'm debating on a new rear wheel or new bike .

I finished a sprint :1/4 mile swim, 14 mile bike, 3.1 run in 1:46 .

I passed many expensive bikes and riders in fancy gear.

Also I won't take offense about your opinion of the bike. I came here to seek opinions and knowledge. So no worries

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.