Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cyclocross vs Gravel what makes them?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-14, 09:41 PM
dabee1106

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know they have been around for a while but I seem to have missed the segments of cyclocross and gravel. I'm looking for info about this segments. What about these bicycles makes them cyclocross or gravel bikes? In one better than the other? Are certain types of frame materials better than others? I know this is kind of a bone headed question but I'm curious about these segments
Old 08-28-14, 09:48 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
If you like watching Mad Men, you'll figure out the difference . . .
Old 08-29-14, 04:08 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Well, the differences are quite small if there actually are any. Basically a CX bike is a road bike which can fit wider tires and generally is a bit more robustly built. As we know a CX bike can be a racing bike (specialized crux) or a tourer oriented with all the braze ons for racks, fenders, bells and whistles (surly cross check)
With a gravel bike all of the above applies as well, just that gravel bikes are called gravel bikes and not CX bikes.

Now if we think about geometry a CX bike is generally a bit shorter and higher than an actual road bike with a slightly higher BB position. The head angle and fork rake are also usually a bit slacker and the chainstays are also a bit longer.
So there some differences between the road bike and CX. However since every manufacturer has its own idea about the optimal CX/road geometry the differences basically vanish. For example the specialized crux is my road bike since the geo is a perfect road geo for me. Long legs, short back so a higher shorter bike is exactly what I need. I could ride a road bike with a slightly higher spacer stack, but who wants higher spacer stacks?
I'm rambling.
What I was getting at was: The difference between the CX and gravel bike is the geo. As explained the CX has some differences to make it more CX worthy. These properties are however not required in gravel riding. You dont really need slacker angles etc. So basically a gravel bike is a road bike in geometry (low/long) and it takes wider tires.

Now what needs to be kept in mind is that what I have just written is a limited desing aspect some manufacturers use. In general the term gravel grinder is vague at best and is usually comprised from the meaning and use a rider himself gives a particular bike. A gravel grinder can be a race CX, an old touring roadie, a 29er with dropbars and fat tires, a fatbike or even an actual road bike with 28mm tires.

So yeah, don't stress it. Bikes actually called gravel grinders by the manufacturer tend to be expensive (new product)
Old 08-29-14, 06:00 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
At what point does a rainbow change from red to orange?
Old 08-29-14, 07:57 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
I would generally say that the purpose built gravel bikes out there have clearance for bigger tires than CX bikes do. I believe CX rules limit tire width at some point whereas gravel grinding/racing is still less defined and depending on local conditions you may want to be running a mild MTB/29er tire. Gravel bikes may tend toward more relaxed geometry because it seems gravel rides are more likely to be longer, but this will vary by manufacturer/rider preference.

To piggyback on Retrogrouch's comment, I would see it on a scale of:

Optimal for smooth pavement -- Road bike - CX bike - Gravel bike - "Monstercross" bike - Mountain bike -- Optimal for no pavement
Old 08-29-14, 09:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
you dont Need a Cyclocross Race bike to ride the Farm roads that have become where gravel grinder rides have become popular.

But with enough cash on hand people do, and the sellers are promoting that to happen , more.. Special Gravel tires & such..
Old 08-29-14, 09:37 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Read the decal on the frame or the blurb in the manufacturer's catalog to see which category a suspect bike falls into.

If you want the other one, you might have to paint "cyclocross" or "gravel" over the existing decal.
Old 08-29-14, 01:19 PM
MichaelW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Gravel /ˈɡrævəl/ is composed of unconsolidated rock fragments that have a general particle size range and include size classes from granule- to boulder-sized fragments. Gravel is sub-categorized by the Udden-Wentworth scale into granular gravel (2 to 4 mm or 0.079 to 0.157 in) and pebble gravel (4 to 64 mm or 0.2 to 2.5 in)

Do you mean a granular gravel bike or a pebble gravel bike?