Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Chain Break In Pocedure

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 08:31 PM
Gloomy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain Break In Pocedure

Hey there!

I need your precious advice on how you break in your chains for track use.

I have two loose spots (when the cranks are at 2 and 7 o'clock) on a new chain I just installed.
The chain only have a couple of sessions on the track and it's already messed up.
The whole drive train is now making a loud creaking noise under load + I have to keep the chain tension low for the tight section of the chain.

I tried to rotate the crank 90deg. with the chain unengaged but it doesn't seems to help...
Note that when the chain was new, there was no tight spot so I'm sure my drive train is not warped it's only the chain that lack a proper break in.

Zen ring
EAI cog
Vertex chain

Any tips would be more than welcome!
Old 07-17-13, 09:09 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Chain break-in? I've never done it, nor heard of it. You've got great quality rings and cogs, and a good chain. There is NO WAY you have 'stretched' your new chain. I'm guessing there is some minor play between the ring and crank (when loose) and it's not exactly centered, and this is giving you the tight/loose spots. How tight/loose would you run your chain if everything was perfect? Remember, loose is fast. The reason you don't notice any difference when rotating the crank 90* is because the chainring is the problem, not the chain.
Old 07-17-13, 09:20 PM
Tman1965

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gloomy
... it's only the chain that lack a proper break in.

Zen ring
EAI cog
Vertex chain

Any tips would be more than welcome!
Old tip, but always good!

This is the cure for every chain.

But apart from that, are you sure that it's not your drivetrain? I expect the Zen chainring to be round, but did you center the chainring on the cranks? Sheldon Brown

The good question is, what part of a precision manufactured chain shall break in? And why should that cause such a strong effect? Yes, chains wear out when they are in use, but that doesn't happen after a few rides. Especially not on a track bike, which neither sees water nor lots of dirt.

Put a new chain on your bike and check it out. A $10 KMC Z410 does the trick for that.

Good luck

Thomas

Last edited by Tman1965; 07-17-13 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-17-13, 09:21 PM
Mr. Embrey

Bikes: Poseidon X Ambition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say the chainring is off center. Maybe a slightly bent BB spindle?
Old 07-17-13, 10:57 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Embrey
I'd say the chainring is off center.
This is most likely the culprit, especially being that the problem happens at the same spot in the crank rotation. There is no way that the random number of chain links (including the supposed bad one) lines up every time with the chainring/cog numbers. So...your chainring is not mounted properly and/or your chain is too tight when you mount the wheel. There should be some slack in the chain to account for this very situation. Generally, about 3/4" - 1" of vertical play is optimal. Yes, a chain can be too tight even if your chainring is perfectly centered. Friction of the chain within itself will create significant drag.
Old 07-17-13, 11:02 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
As always, Sheldon has the answer: https://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html#tension

The chain tension on a fixed gear is quite critical, and is regulated by moving the rear axle back and forth in the forkends. If the chain is too tight, the drivetrain will bind, perhaps only at one angle of the pedals (chainwheels are not usually perfectly concentric). It should be tight as it can be without binding. If the chain is too loose, it can fall off, which is quite dangerous on a fixed gear.

Set the rear axle so that the chain pulls taut at the tightest part of the cranks' rotation. One at a time, loosen up each of the stack bolts, and tighten it back just finger tight. Spin the crank slowly and watch for the chain to get to its tightest point. Strike the taut chain lightly with a convenient tool to make the chain ring move a bit on its spider. Then rotate the crank some more, finding the new tightest spot, and repeat as necessary.

This takes a little bit of your hands' learning how hard to hit the chain, and how loose to set the stack bolts, but it is really quite easy to learn.

Tighten up the stack bolts a bit and re-check. Tighten the stack bolts in a regular pattern, like the lug nuts on a car wheel. My standard pattern is to start by tightening the bolt opposite the crank, then move clockwise 2 bolts (144 degrees), tighten that one, clockwise 2 more, and so on. Never tighten two neighboring bolts in a row. You may prefer to go counterclockwise, but try to get in the habit of always starting at the same place and always going the same way. This reduces the chances of accidentally missing a bolt.

Once you have the chainrings centered and secured, adjust the position of the rear axle to make the chain as nearly tight as possible without binding. Notice how freely the drive train turns when the chain is too loose. That is how freely it should turn when you are done, but with as little chain droop as possible.
Old 07-19-13, 01:51 AM
JMR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree... whatever the issue causing the tightening and looseing, the chain is too tight.

Often see people with the chain WAY too tight at the track. If you spin the back wheel when it's on the rack it will bind in a spot and not rotate as freely as it should.

JMR
Old 07-19-13, 05:09 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On this topic of mis-centered chainrings, i gleefully glued my chainring-bolt nuts into my spider for easy chainring swapping, and since discovered that i must not have had them centered quite right.. (same issue of a lose-tight-lose-tight, and a PITA to set a suitable chain tension.

so my question is; anyone have a suggestion for a safe solvent for superglue? i want to avoid brute force and dangerous substances for now.

thanks.
Old 07-19-13, 05:54 AM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Velocirapture
On this topic of mis-centered chainrings, i gleefully glued my chainring-bolt nuts into my spider for easy chainring swapping, and since discovered that i must not have had them centered quite right.. (same issue of a lose-tight-lose-tight, and a PITA to set a suitable chain tension.

so my question is; anyone have a suggestion for a safe solvent for superglue? i want to avoid brute force and dangerous substances for now.

thanks.
Acetone
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 07-19-13, 09:18 AM
Gloomy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey thanks for all the comments.

For now I just want to clarify that I'm pretty picky on chain tension - I always keep it limit before it derail.
When I first installed the new chain, I kept the tension very low, as usual. After only 4 runs, the chain began to develop a huge slack where it can derail easily. From there, I've decided to add a little tension (thinking the chain was breaking in) and this is where I am, with a slack-tight chain.

I will take some time today to check that out closely. I'll look if the ring is centered and try the Sheldon method. I didn't think of doing that because the S75 crank I'm using have long knurled bolts so I can't really move the chainring even when it's unbolted.

I'll keep you updated!
Best
Old 07-19-13, 11:05 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bhchdh
Acetone
Awesome, thanks