Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Jagwire Pro Road cable kit is the bomb

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Jagwire Pro Road cable kit is the bomb

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 06:32 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
...And linear support wires (not spiral wound) on both shift and brake cables...
Interesting that they did the linear on the brakes as a stock set up. I learned this little trick a number of years ago when I was setting up my first set of mechanical disc brakes. It's amazing the difference in they way it makes your brakes feel. I didn't know that you could buy a complete kit that way.
Old 09-24-13, 06:42 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by redtires
Interesting that they did the linear on the brakes as a stock set up. I learned this little trick a number of years ago when I was setting up my first set of mechanical disc brakes. It's amazing the difference in they way it makes your brakes feel. I didn't know that you could buy a complete kit that way.
Yeah, that is what really makes these special. And I think it is what contributes to the lighter weight.
Old 09-25-13, 07:57 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I've been using this kit for years, mainly because it's familiar and I don't see a point in trying something new. The Jagwire kit is easy to find, works well, is complete and doesn't cost very much.

Two complaints:
1. I don't understand the point of the taper in the "POP" brake ferrules, it just seems to allow the ferrule to "float" in the brake carrier. They work just fine, I just don't see any gain here.
5. They stopped including the longer rubber frame protectors in the kit. These things work well and are simple to mount. You can buy them for $5 or reuse them endlessly once you have them, but it's a little annoying that they're not in the kit any more.
Old 09-25-13, 08:09 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I've been using this kit for years, mainly because it's familiar and I don't see a point in trying something new. The Jagwire kit is easy to find, works well, is complete and doesn't cost very much.

Two complaints:
1. I don't understand the point of the taper in the "POP" brake ferrules, it just seems to allow the ferrule to "float" in the brake carrier. They work just fine, I just don't see any gain here.
5. They stopped including the longer rubber frame protectors in the kit. These things work well and are simple to mount. You can buy them for $5 or reuse them endlessly once you have them, but it's a little annoying that they're not in the kit any more.
Agreed. The POP ferrule mystifies me. As for the frame protectors, they do get lost occasionally. I guess we just have to buy them separately now.
Old 09-25-13, 05:16 PM
BaseGuy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale CAAD10; 1987 Cannondale R400/600; 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Homemade Hybrid

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly how do you do that? I'm not Consumer Reports. I'm comparing new high end cables to what I remember about a different high end cable set from when it was also new...
And I, for one, appreciate your post. Your experiences, and how you articulated the differences in performance, are interesting to me.
Old 09-25-13, 07:17 PM
springs

Bikes: Emonda SLR, Salsa Warbird carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed. The POP ferrule mystifies me. As for the frame protectors, they do get lost occasionally. I guess we just have to buy them separately now.
The POP ferrule makes the housing fit my Planet X brakes properly.
Old 09-25-13, 07:54 PM
thedon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't find these cable kits on any of the popular cycling sites. Where am I suppose to buy them??

To go with my raw aluminum & black Caad 10, I am thinking the grey would go well. I might also go with red and get some red bar tape... Oh, the choices.
Old 09-25-13, 08:00 PM
frisky99

Bikes: Miyata 610 , Schwinn circuit, Bianchi C2C, Quattro Assi , 87 Trek 1500, Felt F1X, Burley duet, LHT and a few more

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look on Ebay. Put them on one of my road bikes and on our tandem and have been happy with them .
Old 09-25-13, 09:22 PM
thedon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ebay listings are mostly from foreign sellers in OEM packaging, which means they could be made by any manufacturer and only minimally mimicking Jagwire branding. I'm skeptical of buying an item that could result in my death if it fails from a no-name Chinese manufacturer... Are there any reputable sellers that have these?
Old 09-25-13, 09:29 PM
rpenmanparker 

I don't know what you guys are talking about re: unavailability. I bought from three different ebay sellers all in USA. You can see the package is either right or not. Very distinctive. Here is the result of a Google search:

Jagwire Pro Racer Road...
$34.99
BicycleBuys.c...

Jagwire Pro Racer Road Cable Kit Black$34.99 -
BicycleBuys.com
Free Shipping Over $99.00

Jagwire Racer Road Pro Ca...
$44.54
BikeTiresDire...

Jagwire Racer Road Pro Cable Kit Black Housing$44.54 -
BikeTiresDirect.com
Orders Over $100 Ship Free, No Sales Tax!

Jagwire Racer Road Pro Ca...
$34.64
Westernbike...

Jagwire Racer Road Pro Cable Kit Black Housing$34.64 -
Westernbikeworks.com
WesternBikeworks® - Guaranteed Lowest Prices!

Jagwire Road Pro Complete...
$48.99
American Cyc...

Jagwire Road Pro Complete Cable Kit$48.99 -
American Cycle and Fitness

Jagwire Road Pro Complete...
$48.99
2 Rivers Bicy...

Jagwire Road Pro Complete Cable Kit$48.99 -
2 Rivers Bicycle and Outdoor

Most of these are known to be completely reputable.

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 09-25-13 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-26-13, 08:31 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
$34 + free shipping at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-26-13, 05:35 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by thedon
I can't find these cable kits on any of the popular cycling sites. Where am I suppose to buy them??

To go with my raw aluminum & black Caad 10, I am thinking the grey would go well. I might also go with red and get some red bar tape... Oh, the choices.
Universal Cycles has them and other brands in many colors for a few bucks more than eBay, but no shipping for orders over $150, and no sales tax for those of us nearby, unlike Amazon.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...?category=4385
Old 09-27-13, 12:52 PM
NWS Alpine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great cables for cheap. I like them better than Yokozuna now. Yokozuna's don't play nice with some frames.

Word of caution that the braided colors are slightly thicker than the solid colors. If you use inline barrel adjuster for the FD then you need the 4.5mm adjusters.
Old 09-27-13, 01:16 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by NWS Alpine
Great cables for cheap. I like them better than Yokozuna now. Yokozuna's don't play nice with some frames.

Word of caution that the braided colors are slightly thicker than the solid colors. If you use inline barrel adjuster for the FD then you need the 4.5mm adjusters.
Good to know. I did use a set of the braided ones (gold) recently and found them a bit harder to insert into the ferrules. But it all worked out in the end.
Old 09-27-13, 01:25 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by erief0g
There sure are more opinion police than grammar police on this forum.
ftfy
Old 09-27-13, 01:28 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thedon

I'm guessing that, in Madison WI, you have a bike shop close by.