Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Double seat child trailer

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 02-12-17, 04:42 PM
Talkinghalls

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Howdy!

Looking for a double seat child trailer (18 month old and 3 year old); I ride a decent distance (15-25 miles at 12-15 mph) price range between 80-150, any suggestions?

Thank you for your input.
-Charles
Old 02-12-17, 04:46 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,429 Times in 1,343 Posts
There were a few marketed bu various makers including Trek over the years. You always see them on sale used because children out grew them, so work the classifieds and ebay, but try to buy locally because shipping won't be cheap, and you'll want to make sure of the condition.

However, 3 years is pushing the limit, so I suspect whatever you buy, you'll be selling it soon enough.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-12-17, 05:12 PM
Talkinghalls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never used a children's bike seat, do those finagle the balance at all? Are they comfortable for the kiddo?
Old 02-12-17, 05:20 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,429 Times in 1,343 Posts
Child seats aren't a problem when riding, probably because their owners rarely, if ever, ride at speeds where they might be become an issue.

IME the biggest issue is when stopped, mounting or dismounting. The child's weight is high and behind the seat, so once you step off the saddle, the bike can twist under you if allowed to lean to either side, and the bars cannot restrain it well once that starts.

There are ways to mange the problem but the rider has to be aware and ready. Whenever any of my family or friends asked about seats, I suggested buying 20#s of potatoes or onions, and riding the sack around for a while so they can get used to and manage the problem. It's far better to dump potatoes on the ground than your own child.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-12-17, 05:23 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I had a Burley that you could put two kids in. New it was around $400, but I think there is a good resale market for these things, because they outlast kids.
Old 02-12-17, 05:24 PM
Talkinghalls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That works, thank you for the advise!
Old 02-13-17, 08:26 AM
sarahbruce

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I always give the same advice when it comes to child trailers- Buy a "name brand" used trailer. I have used a bunch of different trailers and have bought all of them from Craigslist or Play it Again. You should look for brands like Burley, Chariot, Trek, Co Pilot, etc. There are a few Schwinn ones that are higher end quality too, but you have to figure out which models are the good ones. I have never paid more than $120 for any of the "high end" trailers.
Bruce
Old 02-14-17, 10:07 AM
Talkinghalls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sarahbruce
I always give the same advice when it comes to child trailers- Buy a "name brand" used trailer. I have used a bunch of different trailers and have bought all of them from Craigslist or Play it Again. You should look for brands like Burley, Chariot, Trek, Co Pilot, etc. There are a few Schwinn ones that are higher end quality too, but you have to figure out which models are the good ones. I have never paid more than $120 for any of the "high end" trailers.
Bruce

I just went through ebay and found tons of them for a decent price thank you for the heads up!
Old 02-17-17, 06:06 AM
JPow90

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, so glad I stumbled across this thread... I've been debating over a bike trailer for a couple of weeks but have been a little hesitant. Am ideally looking for one which can turn into a jogging one too as I've just taken up running this year to try and get myself in shape... but has anyone had any experience with this product: Monz Blue Bird Bike Trailer + Jogger white - Collection 2016 on Prams.net ... or the brand for that matter? I've personally not heard of them?

Don't particularly want to splash out that much cash only to find out that it's no good? So what do you guys think??
Old 02-19-17, 07:15 AM
sarahbruce

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JPow90
Hi all, so glad I stumbled across this thread... I've been debating over a bike trailer for a couple of weeks but have been a little hesitant. Am ideally looking for one which can turn into a jogging one too as I've just taken up running this year to try and get myself in shape... but has anyone had any experience with this product: Monz Blue Bird Bike Trailer + Jogger white - Collection 2016 on Prams.net ... or the brand for that matter? I've personally not heard of them?

Don't particularly want to splash out that much cash only to find out that it's no good? So what do you guys think??
I have never heard of that company/trailer, but I have some general related experience. If you are going to actually be running/jogging with the trailer/stroller, you absolutely want one with a fixed front wheel. The rotating front wheel accessories are great for general walking and around town use, but when you are at more than a walking speed they can be unstable and hard to control. The link you posted looks like it comes with the fixed front wheel and you can buy the rotating/swiveling one separately so it looks like you would be okay. Generally that trailer looks to be good quality, but I really have no idea what's available over there (from the link I am assuming not in the US).
Bruce
Old 02-23-17, 06:48 AM
JPow90

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great, thank you so much... that's useful info and will definitely bear in mind... I've read some reviews on that trailer I posted, and I think I'm gonna go for it, so I'll let you know how I get on!
Old 07-13-17, 08:24 PM
frndlyfire

Bikes: 1970 Schwinn Continental, 1972 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1981 Schwinn Paramount, 2011 Polygon Helios 700, 2015 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I noticed Amazon currently has the InStep Quick n Ez Double Trailer on sale from $140 down to $80. It's got decent reviews.
Old 07-16-17, 05:24 AM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
The only beef I have with the InStep double seat trailers is that the seat is one wide seat with two harnesses. Our older Schwinn trailer had two separate "buckets" in the seat. The difference is that with two kids, they tend to start sliding to the middle while riding in the InStep trailer and on longer rides this usually caused discomfort which then leads to grumpy kids. Other than that, the construction of the InStep has kept it going in our family for many years.
Old 08-04-17, 08:42 AM
prq9218

Bikes: Giant Roam 2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I had a Burley that you could put two kids in. New it was around $400, but I think there is a good resale market for these things, because they outlast kids.

Check craigslist, offerup and such, I was able to pick up a Burley Bee for $80, looks brand new, used twice before they got their twins bikes.
Old 12-18-17, 01:20 PM
TrustPilot

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recommend this Qeridoo Speedkid2, it costs little and I think they are also very comfortable.
Old 05-16-18, 05:57 AM
sbcost
sbcost

Bikes: 1950s bauer unknown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Curious about which brand is most comfortable for little ones? Had a terrible offbrand given to me and the kids just wouldnt sit in it. Couldn't blame them, the sests looked awful.
Old 02-07-19, 04:19 PM
VastCrew

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We mainly used a trek 2 child trailer. I don't believe they make these any longer. What I most liked about the trailer was that it was basically 2 individual seats made out of a nylon type fabric. It was like it snuggled them in. I certainly appreciated that each child had their own space. Our double trailer had a weight limit of 100 pounds.Still used it with kids about 4 and 7 however had to consider the route I'd be riding. The Chariot 2 child is also nice, we used one of those a couple times and the kids were cozy. I would avoid any sort of trailer with a hard molded type seat. Sleeping kids equal a longer ride! Also check out the WeeHoo. We had a single one however they do make a double. My kids started on the WeeHoo at about 2.5. and rode up until about age 8.
Old 02-23-19, 06:40 AM
Chad h

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a two wheel trailer kids sit side by side was ok then got weehoo double it was a game changer kids love it it follows bike much better I can ride faster farther. Straps kids in similar to a car seat don’t have to worry about them falling asleep or out.
Old 02-24-19, 07:57 PM
Kaze6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of all that I've seen or tried over the years, the best was the original (mid-1970s) Cannondale trailer with the optional kiddie tub. This has a fairly wide stance but is a bit heavier than the fabric trailers. It's also been quite a while since I last saw one for sale.
Old 03-09-19, 03:50 PM
ShelbyC

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy used

I agree that finding a high quality used trailer is the way to go. I bought a used Chariot Cougar and it is an amazing trailer and stroller! I like that it has suspension.
Old 03-23-19, 09:07 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 80 Posts
I was able to purchase a double seat burley encore trailer off of craigslist yesterday. I have not used it yet. I only have one child that needs to be towed but I figure for what I paid and the condition that it was in it was well worth the money. Now is the time to buy them before the biking season really begins as others will be out looking for the trailers also. I am looking forward to be able to take my 12 month old granddaughter on bike rides.
Old 03-25-19, 12:57 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I have an Avenir Cleveland, great bathtub design, but it didn't have suspension and she hated it. So i bought some flat ally bar and made a pair of scissor leaf springs and drop links, to give it 5ins of suspension travel. Happy kid until she got too tall for it.