Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need Some Suggestions on this Trek 930 rebuild

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-12, 09:16 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts

I picked this up a few weeks ago, in very good condition. I need help sourcing a fork and also color coordinating the components, cables, tires, etc., with this electric plum frame. Suggestions welcome on both. I've got a silver Deore wheelset available, but if there is a good reason for anodized rims in some other scheme, let me know.

This 1993 frame will be my first lugged frame MTB.

Page 6 is the description of the original 930SHX. I have no desire to put a suspension fork on it, just a rigid unit. Any sources for used one would be great, ebay seems overpriced, as the frame only cost me $60.00.
Old 07-06-12, 11:36 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
I'll be keeping tabs on this thread. I've had a 930 since new in ... 94? Mine is the model with the straight fork, not the SHX. Ice blue.

I need to rebuild this bike — maybe to SS for my boy to commute to school. I think that the 930 was an excellent bike, and I rode it thousands of miles over many years. A lot of stuff got replaced because I simply wore things out. Each bit was replaced with an upgrade. I ate up a wheel set and it has nearly gone through a set of Arayas. The original Alivio hubs where/are actually very good. I upgraded the bearings. Their one draw back are the seals, but these are inexpensive parts that can be replaced from the Shimano parts catalog even all these years later. Despite regular servicing, I did go through a set of cones on each hub. But they were replaced as well. Best upgrade was more powerful brakes, but they are rather heavy.

I took a hacksaw and cut down the flat bar. The result was very fast, nimble steering in traffic. I did other things too: chucked the dork saddle, tried several seat posts, STX brake levers, lighter and better QR's, MKS Sylvan Lite pedals with Christof straps and MKS clips, Deore headset, Dura Ace bearings in the hubs. It rolled out of the shop new with street tires and later I started using Panaracer slicks. Installed the tallest MTB cluster in the catalog to speed it up a bit.

This winter - spring, a friend needed a bike while his was on order. So he borrowed the Trek for a few weeks and sort of fell in love with it. So two guys with the same opinion — a fast, stable rugged and searlingly well-braked urban street fighter. I think the 930 makes an excellent hybrid.

Yours has a much nicer finish. Even though the paint must be Imron, it really likes like it has been in a fight. Maybe a good rub and some clear coat will fix it up a bit. Unless you have got hot rust bubbles, I'd keep the paint — for sure.
Hell, maybe the boy won't get it after all.

Last edited by Lenton58; 07-06-12 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-06-12, 01:02 PM
GordoTrek

Bikes: 1962 Carlton Franco-Suisse Custom,1968 Raleigh DL-1/Tourist, 1971 Holdsworth Professional, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport,1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite, 2011 Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i have a 1990 930 rigid forks.. went to town on it.. stripped it, powder coat, all new components, bb/ headset, everything... only thing original is the seatpost, which is on the block...

great frame, i currently have mine set up as a hybrid, im constantly doing 30-50 mile rides on it with no problem, i had a ton of fun with it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trek930rebuild.jpg (99.7 KB, 60 views)
Old 07-07-12, 06:40 PM
Kanegon

Bikes: Topstone, Chisel, 930, Facet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
There are lots of 1 1/8" forks out there, but building it up from frame with somewhat period correct (in your case Deore LX) parts could be prove very expensive. I suggest buying a second Cromo Trek (850 and up) to cannibalize, hopefully with a rigid fork and decent rapid fire brake combos. The rapd fire combos are hard to find and invariably overpriced. The 930s got lighter after switching to lugless TIG welding, but the componentry went down a notch, to STX from Deore.

Here's my recently refurbed 850.
Old 07-07-12, 08:19 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+1 Donor bike. The 900 series Treks can still be found at attractive prices, find one as a donor. I have a 1992 950, and a 1994 950 as well. 1993 was the last year for lugged frame.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 07-07-12, 09:05 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Nice photos of your Treks guys!

Fortunately, I have two prospective Deore donor bikes, a Deore wheel set, and a Deore rear derailleur. The frame's paint is in near perfect condition.

I'm torn on whether to go with black or silver hardware for cranks, stem, bar, etc.?

On the saddle, housings, grips, color spectrum runs from grey, yellow, gold, or lime green? I have ruled out white, done too many with white.
Old 07-07-12, 10:14 PM
BluesDaddy
I got 99 projects

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am a major Manitou fork fan, so I will put in a vote for a "Manitou 2", which has big purple accents that would go nicely with the frame. I know they're hard to find, but you never know...
https://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro...le-659624.html
Old 07-08-12, 02:21 PM
Kanegon

Bikes: Topstone, Chisel, 930, Facet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Nice photos of your Treks guys!

Fortunately, I have two prospective Deore donor bikes, a Deore wheel set, and a Deore rear derailleur. The frame's paint is in near perfect condition.

I'm torn on whether to go with black or silver hardware for cranks, stem, bar, etc.?

On the saddle, housings, grips, color spectrum runs from grey, yellow, gold, or lime green? I have ruled out white, done too many with white.
Which you are clearly going to relish! Toss me the extra LX/XT RD while you're at it .