Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I may need someone to facilitate in memphis

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 12:24 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I did a search on the facilitator's thread and came up dry. If anyone is willing to help coordinate a purchase and shipment, please let me know.
Old 03-31-14, 04:22 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Anyone?
Old 03-31-14, 04:34 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Yes, there must be someone.
Old 03-31-14, 10:59 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Yes, there must be someone.
Maybe not...
Old 04-01-14, 09:08 AM
busdriver1959

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Late to the party here. I live in Memphis and would be glad to help. I'm out of town for a few days. Are you in a huge hurry?
Old 04-01-14, 09:31 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I lived in Memphis twice, long before Beale St or anything else was commercialized, (other than churches.)
You could get a mixed drink for .65 and they hosed down the floor after closing time, which was "approximate."
Bands would come to town and rehearse in the Orpheum before touring; it seated about 250 and tickets were free.

As such, I get a hangover just thinking about Memphis. I'd love to drive there and facilitate.
Old 04-01-14, 09:51 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I lived in Memphis twice, long before Beale St or anything else was commercialized, (other than churches.)
You could get a mixed drink for .65 and they hosed down the floor after closing time, which was "approximate."
Bands would come to town and rehearse in the Orpheum before touring; it seated about 250 and tickets were free.

As such, I get a hangover just thinking about Memphis. I'd love to drive there and facilitate.
I worked at a restaurant there for two weeks in 1978. We were on a 6 month motorcycle trip around the United States and we were incredibly broke. I had a 1974 Kawasaki Z-1a and that thing went through gas like a pig. The owner let me help with food prep during the day and wait tables at night. We slept at a guy's house that was about two blocks from Graceland. Great memories from Memphis. I wish I still had that Kawi.
Old 04-01-14, 11:25 AM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by busdriver1959
Late to the party here. I live in Memphis and would be glad to help. I'm out of town for a few days. Are you in a huge hurry?
Thanks! I am currently working with the seller. Not everything is locked down yet. If I think everything is going to go through, I will let you know.

Robbie and Grady, I can't even imagine what it would have been like to run around with you two in the 70s.
Old 04-01-14, 11:52 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
Thanks! I am currently working with the seller. Not everything is locked down yet. If I think everything is going to go through, I will let you know.

Robbie and Grady, I can't even imagine what it would have been like to run around with you two in the 70s.
Try combining equal parts of the Happy Days TV show, along with an equal helping of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

That about sums it up.

Let's just say Mrs. Gomango does not let me talk about those days with the boys.
Old 04-01-14, 07:24 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I worked at a restaurant there for two weeks in 1978. We were on a 6 month motorcycle trip around the United States and we were incredibly broke. I had a 1974 Kawasaki Z-1a and that thing went through gas like a pig. The owner let me help with food prep during the day and wait tables at night. We slept at a guy's house that was about two blocks from Graceland. Great memories from Memphis. I wish I still had that Kawi.
I was actually there in 1978. There was a GREAT motorcycle shop on Elvis Presley Blvd, about 2 block up from Graceland. That was not the best of neighborhoods. During that time, I was riding a KZ1000 Mk II. I-240 was finished, but the spur to Millington was not, so we rode on that all the time; had to watch out for barrels.

Casey, you'd have been right there in the thick of it.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 04-01-14 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-01-14, 07:27 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Try combining equal parts of the Happy Days TV show, along with an equal helping of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
... a little bit of That 70's Show, and a couple of Johnny Cash songs (Sunday Morning Coming Down-one of the best lines ever..."and the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert."

Mrs. Gomango would relate to Mrs. Tunes. I guarantee Mrs. Tunes wouldn't have spoken to me if she'd seen me. She ignored me in college until I cut my hair. Proper women always seemed to be so embarassed when we got around other civilized society. Dunno why....

Seems like there weren't as many police around then....

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 04-01-14 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-01-14, 07:35 PM
gomango

There was a GREAT motorcycle shop on Elvis Presley Blvd, about 2 block up from Graceland. That was not the best of neighborhoods. During that time, I was riding a KZ1000 Mk II. I-240 was finished, but the spur to Millington was not, so we rode on that all the time; had to watch out for barrels.

We definitely kept our mouths shut. There were a few bars right in that area and I recall feeling "less" than invited.

Didn't help much that we were from the north. But we managed to make a few new friends in Memphis.
Old 04-01-14, 07:38 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Let's just say Mrs. Gomango does not let me talk about those days with the boys.
My son had to ask my brothers; my mom refused to tell anything (Good Grandma). One of them refused (says if I ever run for office, he's moving to Costa Rica), the other one said "well, he should be dead." He's the one who thanked the Dairyland Dare riders "for kicking my brother's ass on the ride."
Old 04-01-14, 07:41 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

We definitely kept our mouths shut. There were a few bars right in that area and I recall feeling "less" than invited.

Didn't help much that we were from the north. But we managed to make a few new friends in Memphis.
Yep, you had to pass out with one eye open.
Old 04-01-14, 07:41 PM
gomango

... a little bit of That 70's Show, and a couple of Johnny Cash songs (Sunday Morning Coming Down-one of the best lines ever..."and the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert."

Mrs. Gomango would relate to Mrs. Tunes. I guarantee Mrs. Tunes wouldn't have spoken to me if she'd seen me. She ignored me in college until I cut my hair. Proper women always seemed to be so embarassed when we got around other civilized society. Dunno why....

Definitely the 70s Show as well.

The police we met were decent guys, especially when we told them we were only stopping for two or three weeks.

One guy made me call my mom to tell her we were fine.

At any rate, our next stop was Miami. Now that was a heck of a spot for a nineteen year old.

My friends have asked me if I ever will go back there, but I somehow can't imagine it would be the same at 55 years of age.
Old 04-01-14, 07:42 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am more of a triumph guy, but I may have been there

oh, and if it were the 70s, I would try long hair.
Old 04-01-14, 07:44 PM
gomango

Yep, you had to pass out with one eye open.
Robbie, I can guarantee that I would have bought you a few beers had we met.

Those were crazy days, weren't they my friend.
Old 04-01-14, 07:46 PM
gomango

@ Casey

Hair!

I looked like a sheepdog.

As for bikes, my dad had a BSA Gold Star 650 when I was growing up.

My Triumphs were TR-6s. I had three of those beasts.

When they ran they were a hoot.
Old 04-01-14, 07:56 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
A gold star 650 with clip ons would do just fine.
Old 04-01-14, 09:29 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

A gold star 650 with clip ons would do just fine.
At the same time, I had a Tiger 750, green and white. Lucas wiring, so you know it only ran 1/3 of the time, until I went Wagner and magneto-less. Or was it the other way around? Grady, we actually totaled a TR4A just outside of Memphis, forgot to turn R or L at a "T" intersection. The motor came through the radiator (mounts must have been bad, eh?). We took the cassette case, the wooden luggage rack, and left the title in the glove box, reported it stolen. Never heard back from them. We were on our way to tour Shiloh, and stopped also at Pickwick Landing. A state trooper poked his head into our tent, asked us what was up, and said, "if anything happens around here tonight, you did it. Understand?" Yep, we left.
Old 04-02-14, 10:22 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts

I believe the song you quoted is Kristofferson, not Cash.