Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-15, 09:37 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
88 Rockhopper Comp in that condition for $60 is a very nice find. That era Deore is quite nice too.

Turned out great.
Old 01-29-15, 02:16 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
88 Rockhopper Comp in that condition for $60 is a very nice find. That era Deore is quite nice too.

Turned out great.
Thanks! It's got the 6 speed Uniglide on the rear. I've learned that the cogs can be flipped when one side wears down. Thought that was sort of interesting. I like the Soma "Portola" handlebars that I have on my Trek 820 better than the "Midges". The Midges are only 1" wider, but shaped slightly differently. Only challenge is that the Portola bars require a 26" clamp and the only quill stems that I find that are the dirt drop style are Nitto by Rivendell. Kalloy and others are 25.4 clamp sizes. I guess I could try for a quill with a face plate, but haven't found one I love.
Old 01-29-15, 09:38 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
Thanks! It's got the 6 speed Uniglide on the rear. I've learned that the cogs can be flipped when one side wears down. Thought that was sort of interesting. I like the Soma "Portola" handlebars that I have on my Trek 820 better than the "Midges". The Midges are only 1" wider, but shaped slightly differently. Only challenge is that the Portola bars require a 26" clamp and the only quill stems that I find that are the dirt drop style are Nitto by Rivendell. Kalloy and others are 25.4 clamp sizes. I guess I could try for a quill with a face plate, but haven't found one I love.
I filed one of the Kalloy stems to take 26.0 mustache bars. I suppose that's not really recommended, but there's a lot of metal there, and I was careful.
Old 01-29-15, 09:46 AM
Crawford53

Bikes: 1994 Barracuda A2E, 1991 Specialized Rockhopper, 1993 Marin Bear Valley, 1995 Nishiki Cascade, 1970 Raleigh Sports (project)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure, but I don't think I've posted this here. It's a 1988 Rockhopper Comp & was all original. Paid $60 plus a zefal mountain bike pump included. I bought the On One Midges, new Tektro brake levers and used Suntour bar end shifters.

Awesome. I'm putting this one in the inspiration pile.
Old 01-29-15, 12:32 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
V.V. - how do you like the bar cons on the midge bars? I got my midge bars to better accomodate 9 spd STI levers and the angle of the bars makes shifting much easier than on standard drop bars for me. That being said I am partial to bar cons and have them on my other touring bikes. Just curious if you find the extra width of the midge bars make them less handy.

Great looking bike BTW!
Old 01-29-15, 12:41 PM
Velocivixen

Originally Posted by badger_biker
V.V. - how do you like the bar cons on the midge bars? I got my midge bars to better accomodate 9 spd STI levers and the angle of the bars makes shifting much easier than on standard drop bars for me. That being said I am partial to bar cons and have them on my other touring bikes. Just curious if you find the extra width of the midge bars make them less handy.

Great looking bike BTW!
The bar end shifters are fine on these bars. I also have them on my '95 Trek 820 (8 speed indexed) with the Portola bars. These bars are a nice compromise from full on drop bars (traditional), which I just don't like. I have no issues shifting and I've got bar ends on mustache bars also. Overall nice for shifting. However this bike came with Shimano 6 speed indexed/friction thumb shifters and as much as I like friction, I also like indexing. So that was more of a change for me - going indexed to friction.

I have a pair of SunTour 7 speed Indexed "Bar-Cons" (the black ones) which I would love to put on a SunTour drivetrain bike. Just waiting for the right one.
Old 01-29-15, 08:09 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
I spent part of the day making some changes to the Croll.

How do you like shifting brifters with the dirt-drop bars? Bad-a$$ looking bike, BTW.
Old 01-30-15, 07:02 AM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
How do you like shifting brifters with the dirt-drop bars? Bad-a$$ looking bike, BTW.
Getting the midge bars positioned so you're comfortable in the drops is the hardest part. They have only a short length in the drops. The shifting really isn't a problem. Compared to the road position of the shifters, upshifting is easier since the paddle is closer, but you tend to downshift a second gear sometimes because you are closer to the lever. That just takes some getting used to, but functionally everything is the same.

Thanks for the comment also.
Old 01-30-15, 08:31 AM
wintermute

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1986 Kuwahara ATB, 2006 Bianchi Volpe, 2016 Salsa Fargo

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by simmonsgc
I'm very happy to finally have something to offer in this thread. It's been slow going, with life getting in the way of playing with bikes!

Got a mock-up done, finally, and the fit on this cold-set 1988 MB-2 with drops works great for me. I may not even need a dirt drop to get the bars where I want them. A 60mm SR road quill gets them pretty close, but we'll see. Probably won't run the Vueltas-- just put them on for mock-up since they are the only 26's I have right now with rubber on them. This one came to me from a friend as a bare frame and mismatched fork. Nice that the fork is lugged, but the keyway needs to be milled a bit, and then cut to length. I had to chase the threads further down the steer tube. I think it must've come from a much bigger frame. It's stupid long, which is better than being too short! I think I like the looks better than the original unicrown. My great LBS guy sold me a wheel's worth of Dia Compe 986's, so I just need to find some cantis for the rear. Plan is to build it up, ride and work out the kinks, then tear it down for PC. Paint is a hot mess.

This is one of the more inspiring threads in C&V, and I've really enjoyed all the creativity and cool builds here. Notice my Park CS-1 cold set tool leaning against the wall. Snagged it off eBay.

I'm loving this one. I definitely gravitate to the chunky munky, overbuilt conversions.
Old 01-30-15, 11:39 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by simmonsgc
I'm very happy to finally have something to offer in this thread. It's been slow going, with life getting in the way of playing with bikes!

Got a mock-up done, finally, and the fit on this cold-set 1988 MB-2 with drops works great for me. I may not even need a dirt drop to get the bars where I want them. A 60mm SR road quill gets them pretty close, but we'll see. Probably won't run the Vueltas-- just put them on for mock-up since they are the only 26's I have right now with rubber on them. This one came to me from a friend as a bare frame and mismatched fork. Nice that the fork is lugged, but the keyway needs to be milled a bit, and then cut to length. I had to chase the threads further down the steer tube. I think it must've come from a much bigger frame. It's stupid long, which is better than being too short! I think I like the looks better than the original unicrown. My great LBS guy sold me a wheel's worth of Dia Compe 986's, so I just need to find some cantis for the rear. Plan is to build it up, ride and work out the kinks, then tear it down for PC. Paint is a hot mess.

This is one of the more inspiring threads in C&V, and I've really enjoyed all the creativity and cool builds here. Notice my Park CS-1 cold set tool leaning against the wall. Snagged it off eBay.

I'd just spacer it and keep the extra height. are the 986s black or silver? I have a set in black missing the black rear spacers that you can have for cost of shipping, but you'll need to find spacers for them.
Old 01-30-15, 01:26 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
Getting the midge bars positioned so you're comfortable in the drops is the hardest part.
I spent some time researching last night and this seems to be the common theme for MTB drop conversions given the different frame geometry. Just need to take some measurements before swapping and try to find close approximations for drops, swap stem if needed, then begin the process of refining position.

I am attempting to procure an MB-1 from a colleague who doesn't want to ride it, perfect candidate for a drop conversion...
Old 01-30-15, 05:00 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
I'm not sure, but I don't think I've posted this here. It's a 1988 Rockhopper Comp & was all original. Paid $60 plus a zefal mountain bike pump included. I bought the On One Midges, new Tektro brake levers and used Suntour bar end shifters.

very nice, I have ab 89 Rockhopper Comp. I bought it new for a lot more than $60, more like $599 retail in 1989.
Old 01-30-15, 07:26 PM
Velocivixen

Originally Posted by mountaindave
I spent some time researching last night and this seems to be the common theme for MTB drop conversions given the different frame geometry. Just need to take some measurements before swapping and try to find close approximations for drops, swap stem if needed, then begin the process of refining position.

I am attempting to procure an MB-1 from a colleague who doesn't want to ride it, perfect candidate for a drop conversion...
You're right on about stem length & geometry for a comfy setup. My Rockhopper came with a 140mm stem! No way could I use it for drop bars, so I scavenged up a black stem at a co-op that was closer to 90mm and that made it possible for me to get it just about right.
Old 02-02-15, 01:06 PM
tk1971

Bikes: Nishiki Prestige, Reign, IH Warrior, Rockhopper, Brompton, Q-Bike, Forever, Free-Ride, Dahon, Merckx Premium, Litespeed Teramo, Raleigh MTi 1000, Motobecane Fly Ti, OnOne 456, Kona Unit, Transition TransAM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After converting the Rockhopper with Midge bars, I'm hooked.

I recently got my Raleigh MTi 1000 down to 20.5 lbs, but it wasn't as fun of a ride as my Rockhopper. I bought another set of Midge bars and will try my hand at a lightweight Ti build with drop bars.

I'm using the Gevenalle (formerly Retroshift) CX shifters on my Rockhopper, but they don't allow shifting in the drops, which is my primary position. The Rockhopper also has cantilever brakes, which are adequate, but when I installed a set of light modern wheels, the Raleigh was converted to disc. I looked, but I can't seem to find a set of hydraulic road levers to replace the mountain levers, so I'm going to try out a set of TRP HD/RD calipers.

I've already installed a 1x10 drivetrain for the Raleigh, but I might not be able to use the XTR M980 shifter and possible the XT rear derailleur with the drop bar. For shifters, I have the following choices:
1) Right 10 spd STI with a 8 or 9 spd rear derailleur to go along with an XT 10 spd cassette (11-36)
2) Try to mount a single Suntour Thumb shifter near the brake lever and go friction (whichever derailleur)
3) Try to adapt and mount the 10 spd XTR M980 shifter on the drop bar, and have it usable in the drops

This past weekend, I tinkered around with a single Suntour Thumb shifter and an adjustable stem to see if I can dial in the handlebar height / position / angle. Here is the result:

I mounted the shifter above the brake lever and have been playing around with it to see if I can actually shift from the drops. I pretty much got it, so here are a few pictures of me shifting.

Old 02-02-15, 01:25 PM
Velocivixen

Originally Posted by tk1971
After converting the Rockhopper with Midge bars, I'm hooked.

I recently got my Raleigh MTi 1000 down to 20.5 lbs, but it wasn't as fun of a ride as my Rockhopper. I bought another set of Midge bars and will try my hand at a lightweight Ti build with drop bars.

I'm using the Gevenalle (formerly Retroshift) CX shifters on my Rockhopper, but they don't allow shifting in the drops, which is my primary position. The Rockhopper also has cantilever brakes, which are adequate, but when I installed a set of light modern wheels, the Raleigh was converted to disc. I looked, but I can't seem to find a set of hydraulic road levers to replace the mountain levers, so I'm going to try out a set of TRP HD/RD calipers.

I've already installed a 1x10 drivetrain for the Raleigh, but I might not be able to use the XTR M980 shifter and possible the XT rear derailleur with the drop bar. For shifters, I have the following choices:
1) Right 10 spd STI with a 8 or 9 spd rear derailleur to go along with an XT 10 spd cassette (11-36)
2) Try to mount a single Suntour Thumb shifter near the brake lever and go friction (whichever derailleur)
3) Try to adapt and mount the 10 spd XTR M980 shifter on the drop bar, and have it usable in the drops

This past weekend, I tinkered around with a single Suntour Thumb shifter and an adjustable stem to see if I can dial in the handlebar height / position / angle. Here is the result:

I mounted the shifter above the brake lever and have been playing around with it to see if I can actually shift from the drops. I pretty much got it, so here are a few pictures of me shifting.

Outstanding photos. Thatnks for the detailed explanation & photos. Makes for more creative ideas. How do you like the midges so far?
Old 02-02-15, 02:02 PM
ratfink76

Bikes: 2010 Schwinn Madison, 1994 Kona Lava Dome, 1991 Quattro Assi, 1990 Bottecchia Team ADR SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
OK, I know it's fugly, but here's my former Kona Unit:

I like it - looks like a blast to ride!
Old 02-02-15, 02:20 PM
Crawford53

Bikes: 1994 Barracuda A2E, 1991 Specialized Rockhopper, 1993 Marin Bear Valley, 1995 Nishiki Cascade, 1970 Raleigh Sports (project)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An update on my 91 Rockhopper:

I got far enough to mock-up the conversion. I'm using an adjustable stem to figure out postioning. I thought I was going to have to spring for a pair of modern, aero brake levers but then I remembered my single speed which hasn't been used in a longgggg time. I'm going to steal the brake levers and cable housing off that bike so I can move forward with this project!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (94.9 KB, 379 views)

Last edited by Crawford53; 02-02-15 at 02:22 PM. Reason: photo illiterate
Old 02-03-15, 01:04 PM
tk1971

Bikes: Nishiki Prestige, Reign, IH Warrior, Rockhopper, Brompton, Q-Bike, Forever, Free-Ride, Dahon, Merckx Premium, Litespeed Teramo, Raleigh MTi 1000, Motobecane Fly Ti, OnOne 456, Kona Unit, Transition TransAM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Outstanding photos. Thatnks for the detailed explanation & photos. Makes for more creative ideas. How do you like the midges so far?
I like the Midge bars. This is my 2nd set. My first set is on my early 90's Rockhopper. Climbing feels so much better with drop bars. Coming down is actually fun, even on a full rigid steel bike.
Old 02-03-15, 09:48 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Totally jealous. 1988 was the year I bought my first bike, an '88 Hard Rock. I looked long and hard at the Rockhopper, but couldn't afford it in 8th grade. I specifically remember seeing the Rock Combo on the rack as well. These colors are the first bike colors seared into my brain - the first bikes I wanted. I was in and out of our LBS drooling over bikes. It's probably when the bug first started to bite.
Old 02-03-15, 11:17 PM
Velocivixen

@mountaindave - cool to hear about how you liked this model. I have a 93 Hard Rock Ultra with the "fade" paint, which I find I'm attracted to, but my understanding is that the Rockhopper frame was somehow better. This bike gets more fun to ride with each ride it seems, and it's a good size for me. I feel fortunate that the man sold it to me for so little, but must admit it had been neglected - it wouldn't shift & barely braked because the cables were stuck inside the housings. Anyway, thanks!
Old 02-05-15, 11:12 PM
sculbertson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1992 Fisher Paragon
Old 02-06-15, 04:34 AM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
That is a beautiful bike. The name seems to fit.

Please tell us about the build and how you use it.

Thanks
Old 02-06-15, 05:41 AM
seely
The Rabbi

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think that's the only time in history a steerer tube extender has ever looked good!
Old 02-06-15, 11:17 AM
OLB

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Cannondale R500, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1988 Schwinn High Sierra, 1991 Stumpjumper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very, very nice. I love the color and how well the fenders/rack go with it.

Originally Posted by sculbertson
1992 Fisher Paragon
Old 02-06-15, 12:48 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sculbertson
1992 Fisher Paragon
I admire your style.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.