Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Old 02-27-18, 08:09 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by bear_a_bug
I just picked up an 85 Trek 870 over on the iBob list. What can I expect from the frame? I keep hearing about the 50mm BB drop, but honestly, I'm not sure what that means in the context of ride, fit, etc.
I can't tell you anything about your frame but I hope you post more about this bike. I saw that for sale on the list and wished I was in a position to buy it.
Old 02-28-18, 07:17 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
The first few years, the relatively low model numbers didn't represent low end bikes. My 1984 Trek 850 was full Reynolds 531 with all XT components. Later on, the 850 was a low end bike. Your 1985 870 was Tange Prestige frame, full XT components as well. So top of the line bike! I really wish Trek would have maintained some logic to its model numbering system. But it does create buying opportunities, as the average person doesn't realize that an early 8xx was something really desirable. Ride is all about fit. Had that 850 I owned fit me better, I would have kept it. Ultimately, it came down to either keeping my 1988 Cimarron or the Trek.
Old 02-28-18, 11:09 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Here is my 1995 Trek 820, which I've been slowly modifying. I just put Soma Portola handlebars and SunTour bar end shifters to improve my variety of hand positions. I really like this bike. It's ready for just about anything.
I will say that I ran out of cable tips, so that's why there are none on here. I'm getting a supply today to rectify the situation. Also the twine job on the right side needs to be redone.

Vintage Mountain Bike Drop Bar Conversion by velocivixen, on Flickr

Old 02-28-18, 03:31 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
Here is my 1995 Trek 820, which I've been slowly modifying. I just put Soma Portola handlebars and SunTour bar end shifters to improve my variety of hand positions. I really like this bike. It's ready for just about anything.
So good!
I recently sold my Trek 930 drop bar conversion...so that I could fund a new drop bar mtb project It will also be a '95 but this time something aluminum...
Old 02-28-18, 05:37 PM
beicster 

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
Here is my 1995 Trek 820, which I've been slowly modifying.

Nice bike. When I first got into riding I was basically broke. But, I saved up enough money to buy that era of XT rear derailleur. I was so proud of that thing. I have always been partial to that style.
Old 02-28-18, 05:41 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
I will say that I ran out of cable tips, so that's why there are none on here. I'm getting a supply today to rectify the situation. Also the twine job on the right side needs to be redone.

Nice,VV!
Old 02-28-18, 05:57 PM
superstring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by beicster
Nice bike. When I first got into riding I was basically broke. But, I saved up enough money to buy that era of XT rear derailleur. I was so proud of that thing. I have always been partial to that style.
I have that exact derailler in very good shape and I'd consider selling it, if you're interested (or anyone else).
Old 02-28-18, 06:16 PM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by beicster
I haven't ridden every derailleur, but I think this XT model is my favorite. I have two short cage versions, one shifting 7 speeds and one shifting 10 with equal poise and confidence. Highly recommended!
Old 02-28-18, 06:48 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
That’s sharp, nice

Old 02-28-18, 07:23 PM
Velocivixen

Hey, thanks everyone. I semi regularly go to a bike co-op in NE Portland and look through all their derailleurs, and shifters mostly. I bought that derailleur there for probably around $15 or so. I really like the look of them. Same goes for the SLR can’t brakes and levers. It’s worth it if you’ve got a co-op around. Most things are a bit dirty, but nothing a little TLC won’t take care of.
Old 02-28-18, 07:27 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
Bueno!

Old 02-28-18, 08:16 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
If you have a supply of brass spoke nipples, they will work great as emergency cable crimps. You can even cut the head off when you're done, if you have bolt cutters/hardened 'parrot beak' (wire rope) cutters.
Old 03-01-18, 10:58 AM
cooperryder

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 408 Posts
That is a great looking Trek you have there. Nicely done!
I really like that color of green.
I have 2 1990 Trek mt bikes an 850 and a 7000.

I think I have them posted somewhere on this thread.
Old 03-01-18, 11:11 AM
Velocivixen

Thanks @cooperryder. I like those early '90's treks. I had a lugged black 930 and eventually sold the frame. Definitely had a more "aggressive" stance vs the more town oriented 800 series.

Living in Oregon my entire life, my favorite color is, of course GREEN!
Old 03-01-18, 11:12 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,126 Times in 426 Posts
I’m ready, just need a mountain bike.

Old 03-01-18, 12:45 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
Nice start Sloar, shouldn't be too hard for you to come up with a good sized mtb frame.
Old 03-04-18, 10:05 PM
valleysuper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In doing over my 96 Karakoram I’m wondering what double crankset I may be able to use?
Has a square taper English threaded bb now 73 wide. Would replace with whatever I needed.
The existing deore cranks are triple with 94 bcd on larger 2 rings, and cant find any rings past 42 teeth. Was gonna just run it as a double... but would like to get to 50 teeth. Ideally run a 50/34 double.

Thx.

Last edited by valleysuper; 03-04-18 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-05-18, 03:42 PM
biketroubadour

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Standard Issue
Considering the popularity (and rising cost) of vintage road bikes and the abundance of cheap mtbs for sale, i'd say thats a sound prediction.
I'm keep getting requests for inexpensive bikepacking rigs & inevitably the used frames I can get my hands on that suit my clients needs/budget are almost always 26er MTB frames. The trend is real
Old 03-05-18, 03:44 PM
biketroubadour

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by valleysuper
In doing over my 96 Karakoram I’m wondering what double crankset I may be able to use?
Has a square taper English threaded bb now 73 wide. Would replace with whatever I needed.
The existing deore cranks are triple with 94 bcd on larger 2 rings, and cant find any rings past 42 teeth. Was gonna just run it as a double... but would like to get to 50 teeth. Ideally run a 50/34 double.

Thx.
I'd go for an FSA Vero if you want to stick with a square taper bb
Old 03-07-18, 09:05 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,593 Times in 1,236 Posts
Finally finished this up last night with installing the barcons and bar wrap and a new Nitto stem.

I've got about 25 miles on this so far, before the work I did last night. A ride around the neighborhood confirmed that the barcons are a great addition, and the fit feels perfect with the new stem.

Old 03-07-18, 10:23 AM
simmonsgc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Finally finished this up last night with installing the barcons and bar wrap and a new Nitto stem.
I like that one a lot! Good solid choices there...that's a setup that will never let you down (and if it does, you can rig a fix in the middle of nowhere).
Old 03-07-18, 10:56 AM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp

I've got about 25 miles on this so far, before the work I did last night. A ride around the neighborhood confirmed that the barcons are a great addition, and the fit feels perfect with the new stem.
Wow, that's a stunner! The stem really ties it all together.

How do you like the Panaracer Comets? I'm looking at those for an upcoming drop-bar build and am wondering about their ride quality vs. rolling resistance on pavement vs. gravel. Their price is certainly the reason I'm looking at them in the first place, just hoping they might be decent for mixed conditions. Any comments?
Old 03-07-18, 03:14 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Great-looking Mirada!

And, to steal a phrase from someone at this forum (sorry, don't remember who said this, or I'd give proper credit), you could throw a cat between the rear tire and the seatpost.
Old 03-07-18, 09:21 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
That Mirada looks fantastic.

I have a question for all the drop bar MTB people. I often see people put those dirt drop bars on bikes like this with the bars angled upwards, so that the ramps are flat and the drops have a somewhat extreme angle, as abshipp's bike above.
I tried that setup once with a pair of Soma Portola dirt drop bars. My experience was that with the bars angled up like that the reach of the bars was pretty long. And being in the drops was somewhat impractical, because with that upward angle they were farther away, which meant I'd have to lean forward quite a bit and get low to be in the drops. Ultimately they were pretty uncomfortable in any position because both the hoods and the drops were quite far away with the bars angled up.

My takeaway from this experience was that these types of bars were designed to be angled so that the drops are parallel to the ground, or almost parallel, and the drops (behind the brake levers) would be the primary riding position. This makes the reach reasonable, and coupled with a very tall stem, allows you to have a wider hand position for off-road handling, and more leverage on the brake levers. If you look at the original WTB and Nitto dirt drops, that's how these were always set up.

So I'm confused why people angle them upwards, taking away all their advantages so they could ride on the hoods like a normal drop bar. If one wanted a position like this, I feel like a drop bar with a short reach and very shallow drops would make more sense (for example, the Soma Condor, or Salsa Cowbell, etc) for this riding position. With the dirt drops angled up like that, they just seem like a drop bar with a long reach and far-away drops, the opposite of what someone would want for offroad!

Anybody share this opinion or is my analysis idiosyncratic?
Old 03-08-18, 09:20 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
A non-conversion conversion. Pretty close to stock. Needs some minor tweaks. Shows the concept predates this thread by several decades.

[IMG]1988 +/- Specialized Rock Combo by wrk101, on Flickr[/IMG]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.