Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Shoe fitting help?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Shoe fitting help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 10:23 AM
Jixr
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoe fitting help?

Trying to buy my first pair of higher end cycling shoes, and i'm having really bad luck.

There is no LBS around that carries anything higher end, so I've been buying and returning shoes online for the last few weeks.

Trying to buy my first pair of higher end cycling shoes, and i'm having really bad luck.

There is no LBS around that carries anything higher end, so I've been buying and returning shoes online for the last few weeks.

My main question is how much space should you have between the tips of your toes and the end of the shoe.

Generally, I like my shoes tight all over, and not much forward/back play, resulting in my toes being right at the tip of the shoe. My old shoes my toes touched the end, and were a hair tight, but never got cramps or had any issues on 100+ mile rides.

And generally, sizing is all over the place. My old Giros were 42's, I've tried a different model grio at 42.5 that was nearly a centimeter smaller than the other model, and its just been a huge pain in the ass ( and expensive as I have to pay shipping and return shipping )

I've finally settled on a shoe i like, but to hopefully get lucky, I ordered 2 pairs, a 42.5 and 43, to see which one fits best.

I'm really worried about the idea of my foot being able to slide back and forward in my shoe, but don't want my toes to feel too cramped or start chafing the tip of the shoe. Since i've yet to find a perfect fitting one, wondering if it would be better to have my toes directly against the end, or have a tiny bit of space and worry about my foot sliding around?
Old 09-20-18, 04:54 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
What's your budget? Does it stretch to custom-made? You send the maker an outline of your foot and some measurements of circumferences at various locations along your foot.
Old 09-24-18, 09:33 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Lightbulb

Buy from a place that lets you return the ones that don't fit... check,
order 3 around your foot size, return 2.
Buy from somewhere with a telephone , and ask them?

Maybe you have The opportunity to try on a lower cost version
of that company's shoes to understand how their sizes run...

Drive to a city with better shoes in the shops?

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-24-18 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-02-18, 10:07 PM
McMitchell

Bikes: Focus Mares CX, Rocky Moutain Sherpa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fitting shoes can be difficult. I use to fit hiking boots, running shoes can be hard to fit too. A good distance running shoe store can be a good resourse to fit shoes as they wear out lots of shoes. Running shoe stores often have machines that analyze how ones feet strike the ground and may suggest shoe structure.

I would caution against fitting shoes with toes jammed up into the toe box. I use to do that which ended up giving me two split toenails on my pinky toes. The truth is I have duck feet though. My toes are short and close to the same length making them hard to jam into a narrow toe box. You certainly do not want to hike in boots that your toes run into the end of the toe box in, as downhill will wreck your toes. Bicycle shoes may be different but I believe many of the same principals apply.

Last edited by McMitchell; 10-02-18 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-25-18, 12:13 PM
Lars Halstrom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Your mid foot arch in your shoe should keep your foot from sliding as well as your metatarsal pad. They need to be located in the right position too. On long rides your feet will swell and if there isn't enough toe box room at the tips, you'll probably get numbness. Having the right fitting shoes is key to a comfortable ride and prevents injury. My Shimano SPD bike sandals have no problems.
Old 12-25-18, 08:19 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
My best bike shoe size has my toes definitely touching the end of the shoe while standing on the floor. On the bike, they don't touch. I pedal with feet flat or heels down. If you pedal toes down, your fit will be different.