Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Storing Tubeless Tires

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Storing Tubeless Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-19, 04:46 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Storing Tubeless Tires

So in the past year I made the switch to tubeless and as a result I feel like I had to start paying more attention to them when storing them for long periods of time or in inclement weather. This winter there were periods where I would go weeks without touching my bike, and my tires and sealent were left stationary as a result.

The other issue comes when I’m storing my bike in the car at work. I work a typical eight hour work day and sometimes I’ll take my bike with me to ride after work. However during the summer it’ll be 80F+ and winter 20F and below. From what I’ve read about sealant at those temperature extremes don’t really do so well so I’m worried I’m degrading the life of my sealant if I leave it in my car at those temps.

Is there any advice in regards to leaving my tubeless tires for extended periods of time and/or in high/low temperature conditions?
Old 03-22-19, 06:40 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
I spin mine if not ridden in a couple weeks.
& stop the 180° from where they were to let sealant move around.
Plan to remove tires, remove/wipe out sealant for
7 month storage over Summer.
Left in in last summer, separated & similar to pudding,
in a lump in one spot . (Stan’s)

Old 03-23-19, 07:06 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
you don't want to leave any sealant puddling idle. I know for a fact that the Stans stuff (any everything based on latex) that if you leave them pooling, they will eventually coagulate into a ball of latex. Some other non-latex based sealants (ie. ethylene glycol) do not coagulate, but these sealants usually use big fiber bits and they have their own issue with clogging valve stems with the bit.
Old 03-23-19, 08:09 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
For long-term storage, I'd recommend looking in to something like a Milkit kit to remove the majority of the sealant. As far as what might happen in the car, I dunno - I would just feel it out. You should be checking your fluid levels regularly, anyway, so I would probably just check a little more frequently when you're consistently bringing the bike in to work with you.