Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Spoke patterns for trailers??

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-23-19, 12:40 PM
jawnn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I rebuilt my BOB trailer's wheel after the hub came apart on the road. I got a nice new hub that takes no matinance, and used the old spokes and rim. I keep thinking I should rebuild into a nicer looking pattern.

I tryed two next to each other alternating between sides. But it did not look strong enough. So I ended up with this pattern; I am not worried about spokes rubbing against each other because there will not be any torque forces. I could even use a double twisted radial pattern [different directions each side], but how much longer should the spokes be? I do have other old spokes to try something with, but will need to have them shortened and rethreaded.

Got any ideas for patterns?
Old 03-23-19, 01:18 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Got any ideas for patterns?
No brake, right? Could just go radial. Seems like that's what it has from the factory.

The goal in lacing a cross wheel is to get the spokes almost but not more than tangent to the hub flange. The cross pattern is set by the number of spokes. That would probably be cross 2 here, but that makes a really high angle at the rim.

You’ve also put all the spokes on one side of the flange. That makes it look a little funny.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 03-23-19 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-23-19, 02:14 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
16" Wheel .. 28 spoke hub 28 spoke rim my Brompton Rear is 2 cross, as is the 2 406 20" wheels on my Burly trailer..

with a 36 hole hub (entertainment factor) & rim, you can lace it in a group of 6, 2 sides of 3, 2 _2cross 1 radial between them

or just get a 24 hole rim.. skip every 3rd hole in th hub (My Bike friday did that on the rear)

Another trailer hub option since the trailer uses bicycle front hubs, is a Dyno hub ,
Who' s sole purpose then can be charging your electronics on the way..

Old 03-23-19, 03:31 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Here's a 16" wheel laced cross-2 like Bob described. Notice trailing spokes go inside-out, leading spokes go outside-in

https://www.perennialcycle.com/bromp...-349-3098.html
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-23-19, 04:01 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
If radial is fine, then your 1x should be fine too.

But, why did you do 100% outbound spokes, rather than alternating inbound/outbound.

Ahh, interlacing vs no interlacing??

It may not make a difference for a vertical load wheel.

Hmmm...

https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...on-traditional

Spokes in a crossed pattern are usually interlaced at their last crossing before reaching the rim. Spokes coming from between the flanges are laid over those from outside the flanges. Interlaced spokes take up each other's slack during severe radial loading and reduce the chance of spokes becoming loose. If spokes become loose, their nipples can unscrew. Radial spokes cannot be interlaced and therefore, lose alignment from road shock more easily. Interlacing also gives more clearance between the spokes and the derailleur on rear wheels.
So, the idea is that if you apply rotational torque (pedaling/braking) to the hub, then the interlacing straightens the pulling spoke, thus pulling the lax spoke slightly, and helping maintain even tension.

That really won't matter for your trailer.

If you've already built the wheel, then I don't think I'd worry about it. It'll be fine.

Note, many of the 2-wheel trailers also dish the wheels outward to give them a slightly wider stance.
Old 03-26-19, 11:33 AM
jawnn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when I was trying different patterns, I did use the inside -ouut side pattern but the spokes from outside to inside were too short, and therefor loose and I did not want to pay for brass washers like ai did for my drive wheel. 14 cents each can add up fast.. and I read some where that out side spokes made for a wider stringth, so I tryed it.

No brakes now torque forces. I could do just about any thing. more for art than anything else.

Originally Posted by CliffordK
If radial is fine, then your 1x should be fine too.

But, why did you do 100% outbound spokes, rather than alternating inbound/outbound.

Ahh, interlacing vs no interlacing??

It may not make a difference for a vertical load wheel.

Hmmm...

https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...on-traditional

So, the idea is that if you apply rotational torque (pedaling/braking) to the hub, then the interlacing straightens the pulling spoke, thus pulling the lax spoke slightly, and helping maintain even tension.

That really won't matter for your trailer.

If you've already built the wheel, then I don't think I'd worry about it. It'll be fine.

Note, many of the 2-wheel trailers also dish the wheels outward to give them a slightly wider stance.
Old 03-26-19, 11:55 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
I built my 20" trailer wheels 28 spokes cross 2, never had a problem with them.