Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Torque wrench suggestions

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-23-19, 11:20 PM
disco_kevin30

Bikes: Bianchi Europa, 1971 Dawes Galaxy, Peugeot Competition, Peugeot Super Competition, Panasonic DX-4000, Trek 610, Raleigh Technium Tri-Lite, Centurion Le Mans RS, Takara Grand Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello. I am in the market for a good torque wrench. I was looking at the Topeak D-Torq and the Park Tool TW 5.2. I am more in line with Park as it has a good torque range, isnt digital, and costs 130 less than the Topeak.

For some reason I have a memory of the Park Tool wrench not being very popular in reviews but i cant remember for sure. I am willing to spend more for quality tools, but i am not interested in spending more if its just a matter of the difference being a digital reading; accuracy is the most important. So my question is: does anyone here have experience with either or both of these wrenches and what are your opinions? Do you have other suggestions?

Thank you.
Old 03-24-19, 12:01 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
A $20 beam-type wrench does the job for me.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-24-19, 12:21 AM
disco_kevin30

Bikes: Bianchi Europa, 1971 Dawes Galaxy, Peugeot Competition, Peugeot Super Competition, Panasonic DX-4000, Trek 610, Raleigh Technium Tri-Lite, Centurion Le Mans RS, Takara Grand Touring

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
A $20 beam-type wrench does the job for me.
I like that. Keep it simple and cheap.
Old 03-24-19, 12:59 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 127 Posts
Park Tool ATD-1.2 is super convenient for every day (shop) use - range of most often used carbon stem/seatpost torques. No need to take the torque wrench out, then dial it back to zero and pack it back.
It is accurate and precise - simple mechanism, but relatively narrow torque range: 4 to 6 Nm.

Effetto Mariposa Giustaforza II Pro is very accurate and precise, small, convenient torque range for bike use (2-16). Just costs A LOT.

Park Tool 5.2. is good, not as precise, but still useable.

If on a budget, X-tools is cheap, but not bad.

The last two are not the most accurate at the ends of their torque range spectrum, but the most used torques are within the "mid-area".
For higher torques, I'd go with a 10-60 Nm wrench, probably ParkTool TW-6.2 - or any other of decent quality.
Old 03-24-19, 08:21 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
Park Tool ATD-1.2 is super convenient for every day (shop) use - range of most often used carbon stem/seatpost torques. No need to take the torque wrench out, then dial it back to zero and pack it back.
It is accurate and precise - simple mechanism, but relatively narrow torque range: 4 to 6 Nm.

The last two are not the most accurate at the ends of their torque range spectrum, but the most used torques are within the "mid-area".
For higher torques, I'd go with a 10-60 Nm wrench, probably ParkTool TW-6.2 - or any other of decent quality.
I'd second the notion of going with 2 separate ranged wrenches.
In a similar vein, but cuter and more portable (ie. seatbag) than the ATD, I really like the Topeak Nano DX for the usual accessory/cockpit clamp bolts
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod148816
Old 03-24-19, 09:21 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 408 Posts
Right now I only have a Snap-On 'click' type torque wrench. I really don't like the 'click' type wrenches and keep telling myself that I'm going to just buy a beam type. I frequently don't feel/hear the 'click' and then end up over-tightening. Fortunately I haven't had any catastrophes yet. But I feel like it's just a matter of time.

Dan
Old 03-24-19, 09:40 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'd second the notion of going with 2 separate ranged wrenches.

In a similar vein, but cuter and more portable (ie. seatbag) than the ATD, I really like the Topeak Nano DX for the usual accessory/cockpit clamp bolts

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod148816

Another vote for 2 separate wrenches.

At the low end of this torque range I find it hard to use a beam or a ratcheting click style torque wrench like the TW-5.2. You can easily get to about 8-10 Nm with a screwdriver or T handle. I use a CDI TorqControl Wrench in this low range. This is also a common range for firearms, so there are a lot available if you look in gunsmithing tools. A buddy who is a gunsmith uses a Wheeler torque screwdriver for non-critical items and a Wiha for the delicate stuff. I got the CDI from him after he tried it and didn't like the T handle style. Above this range I use a GearWrench 85060.

Park makes good tools but I don't like their torque products. The ATD-1.2 fits nicely in the hand but I don't like that I need a 5mm wrench to change torque ranges. And the TW-5.2 is okay but 1) the scale window is sort of small, and 2) it is a 3/8" drive. All I usually use with it is 1/4" insert bits on these smaller fasteners. I had a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter and a 1/4" insert bit holder on it all the time, where the GearWrench just needs the 1/4" insert bit holder. It just makes it one more thing to misplace.
Old 03-24-19, 11:13 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Right now I only have a Snap-On 'click' type torque wrench. I really don't like the 'click' type wrenches and keep telling myself that I'm going to just buy a beam type. I frequently don't feel/hear the 'click' and then end up over-tightening. Fortunately I haven't had any catastrophes yet. But I feel like it's just a matter of time.

Dan
That's precisely why I love the beam-type so much. You can watch the torque approach the desired value and apply just enough effort to get it right on.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-24-19, 02:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
a set able click type may be nice for 1/4" drive , 3/8" & 1/2" , beam type will do..

for a lot of bike jobs, like 5mm Torx bolts holding on discs, a preset click is offered.. ..
Old 03-24-19, 11:45 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Most posts above offer great options and insight.

As for not feeling the click: good quality ones haven't got that problem in my experience.

For various models: compact or less compact. As well as for Park Tool ATD-1.2 needing a 5 mm allen to preset the torque:
it all depends on one's preferences and priorities. Also for the type of use. Saddle bag (roadsite use) has different priorities than shop use. Shop use also differs on whether you have larger, or smaller space, or do mobile / race day repairs / tuning.

I like preset, small ones for speed (and a bit less worry whether they get dropped in a hurry - it rhymes ), but for home use, a good quality beam type, or click type wrench probably makes more sense. Park Tool ATD-1.2 is convenient for having just one "small, handy" torque "wrench" on the wall - 5 mm allen is always at hand in the shop.

For saddle bag use - the suggested compact models look like better options.

Another thing to consider is precision and how long it "lasts" until a calibration is needed (and how much it costs, unless you do it by yourself). It's not the same if you work on your own bikes, or other people's (uber-expensive carbon?) bicycles.
Old 03-25-19, 07:18 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
A bolt isn't always in a convenient location or orientation to be able to read the scale on a beam type wrench.

-Tim-
Old 03-25-19, 04:00 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
If I ever buy a torque wrench, it will be from Harbor Freight.
Old 03-25-19, 05:14 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
+1 for Harbor Freight. I have their 1/4" and 3/8" click-type torque wrenches - $20 each - on sale for $10 occasionally. Some people express concerns about HF tool accuracy. The way I see it is that most torque values for bike bolts are given as a low/high range that spans about 10 to 20% I shoot for the middle and don't worry about it. Remember to turn the spring back to zero when storing.

If I had a real concern I'd simply take my cheap torque wrenches to my car mechanic and have him check them against his expensive Snap-On wrenches and give him $10 for his trouble. Cheap insurance or a valuable lesson learned.

I've been wrenching on bikes for many years and never even had a torque wrench until recently when I installed a new plug in a carbon steerer tube. So far so good.
Old 03-25-19, 05:38 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Any model,even the cheapest, is vastly better than guessing.
Old 03-25-19, 05:46 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 185 Posts
I have the Topeak d-torq - I really like it. Since it's a transducer, doesn't need to be zeroed out between uses. Easy to set torque. Once you do, beeps when set torque is reached, then beeps again if you exceed set torque. Pretty much foolproof in operation. I find it much easier to listen for the beep than feel for the click.
Old 03-25-19, 06:10 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I do most of the work on my British sports car and have three different torque wrenches so I'm pretty sensitive about accuracy and durability. I too have an Effetto Mariposa Giustaforza and love it but it is expensive.

I also have a CDI adjustable torque wrench and find I use it the most. It was a lot cheaper (~$65 bucks) than the Effetto seems to be just as accurate and easy to use. This is a high quality tool and I have found that it will give accurate results at the low and high end of the torque range.

https://www.amazon.com/Products-Torq.../dp/B01DIRD5CG
Old 03-25-19, 09:13 PM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Another vote for Harbor Freight torque wrenches. I use both the inch-pounds and foot-pounds click type torque wrenches on my bikes without issues. I have checked them both against a craftsman beam type torque wrench. They both maintain their calibration going on three years now. However, folks get very personal about tools, and that’s fine.
Old 03-26-19, 04:13 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 191 Posts

If you watch their sales and coupons you can get these models (1/4, 3/8 or 1/2) for about 9.99.

Old 03-26-19, 07:57 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
Yeah, I picked up their digital calipers on sale for $10, I love that thing
Old 03-26-19, 08:20 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Yeah, I picked up their digital calipers on sale for $10, I love that thing
I have the HF digital calipers also - very useful for bike work and you can check the calibration yourself using a tape measure.
Old 03-26-19, 12:15 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Any model,even the cheapest, is vastly better than guessing.
This... this is the most important point (assuming the wrench is used properly)

Originally Posted by drlogik
I too have an Effetto Mariposa Giustaforza and love it but it is expensive.
Learn to say, "Chiave Dinamometrica Effetto Mariposa Giustaforza" five times quickly, and you will have some serious street cred...
Old 03-27-19, 05:59 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Learn to say, "Chiave Dinamometrica Effetto Mariposa Giustaforza" five times quickly, and you will have some serious street cred...
It hurts just trying to imagine how an American would pronounce that.
Old 03-27-19, 12:09 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
I have an older version of the Park TW-5 (when it was still using 1/4" square drive). It works well enough, but for the price it has some really basic design defects, and looking at the newer model, it might potentially have the same problem(s)
  1. The little plastic window falls out eventually and must be glued back in
  2. Similar to most click-type wrenches, the knob that sets the spring tension also has markings on it to act as sort of a Vernier scale to allow you to dial in fractional torque values. The problem is, the painted white numbers on mine wore off almost immediately, making it difficult to see the setting. IIRC, the number is still embossed into the plastic so you can still make it out if the light hits it just right, but this is a really cheap design for a >$100 wrench. It's a shame because otherwise this wrench would be a lot easier to read than some others (e.g. Harbor Freight) where the numbers are just stamped directly into the chrome handle and you really need to have just the right light to see anything at all (I often have to resort to using a lighted magnifier on my Harbor Freight and Tekton wrenches). Hopefully they use better ink on the new one.
I also have a CDI TorqControl which I like very much. Unfortunately it uses a similar style as the Park, with numbers printed/painted onto the knob. So far they haven't worn off but I've been careful not to touch them while adjusting the torque.

P.S. I think the newest version of the Park ATD-1.x allows you to set the torque without needing a hex wrench.
Old 03-27-19, 12:53 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by Slaninar
It hurts just trying to imagine how an American would pronounce that.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-27-19, 03:41 PM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the Feedback Sports torque wrench? It's a beam style that only goes up to 10Nm, but it still works as a ratchet for higher torques.

I like that it seems relatively portable, uses 1/4" hex bits, and has a decent enough range- more than most some other hex drive torque wrenches like the Park, CDI, Silca, etc.

Other interesting looking beam style, hex drive torque wrenches:
IceToolz Ocarina (T-handle style, 2-10Nm)
Topeak ComboTorq (bulky form factor, 3-12Nm)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.