Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

How can NBC improve coverage of the TdF?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

How can NBC improve coverage of the TdF?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-18, 06:51 PM
njlonghorn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
This. They mentioned it several times on each stage that it isn't NBC's feed.
According to this link, MSNBC does control the production. If they want to stick to one camera for longer, they can.

France Télévisions and Eurosport France provide both a host feed and individual camera feeds for rightsholders that want to cut their own shows. NBC Sports cuts its show using those individual camera feeds, which include five motorcycle and two helicopter shots, and supplementing them with four handheld cameras (including one stationed at the finish line), three ENG packages, a specialty RED camera, and a smattering of robotic and GoPro cameras. In addition, NBC is using three cameras for its studio shows.
Old 07-30-18, 07:27 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Add the Giro and Vuelta.
They've already added La Vuelta. ASO bought it. NBC's deal is with ASO. It will be on this fall. Not sure how much, likely less of it broadcast than Le Tour but all of if via NBC Sports Gold.

RCS owns the Giro and it won't be in the package.
Old 07-30-18, 08:12 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by njlonghorn

According to this link, MSNBC does control the production. If they want to stick to one camera for longer, they can.
Well someone is lying. lol
Old 07-30-18, 08:33 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,228 Posts
Bob Roll in a suit & tie on Sunday was disturbing. Stop it.
Old 07-31-18, 04:55 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
I would like to see them put non-expert commentators (who are very interested in cycling) on with the experts and have the non-experts take the experts to task with really good questions.
Old 07-31-18, 06:19 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
The coverage is excellent, and I really look forward to watching the tour each year. I like many of the suggestions on here, and hope MSNBC is listening. In no particular order:

(1) I second 79pmooney's suggestion of longer video segments of a single group of riders. They'll often show the leaders with a chase group in the background, but they don't stick with it long enough to count seconds past a particular shadow / bridge / whatever. It's maddening.
As has been noted, it is a global feed ... but this is still a good suggestion.

(2) The graphics on top of the screen should show distance to the next relevant point instead of to the end of the stage. When they are climbing an HC, I want to know how many k to the summit, not the finish line.
There is a lot more they could do with graphics. I did see "distance to top of climb" a few times ... but I want to see incline as well, I have seen some races that show the incline the leaders and the chasers are facing .... in cases where the leaders hit the 11 percent portion while the chasers are still on the three-percent incline. NBC only occasionally show incline at all. I als like to see the race profile, and where the riders are on it. Plus tons of other stuff I cannot think of now.
(3) They need better graphics and more thorough discussions about remaining points for the secondary jerseys. For KOM, for example, it wouldn't be that hard to show how many mountains are left in each category, total points available, etc. They could do the same for the green jersey, but that won't be necessary so long as Peter Sagan remains as dominant as he has been of late.
Yeah, stuff like this. With So much time to fill during most stages, and so much screen (except for people watching on their phones) there should be plenty of info they could be delivering.

(4) More overhead views from the helicopters. These can be very telling, especially when the field is scattered on a tough climb. Have the chopper start with the leaders and drift SLOWLY backwards through the entire field, discussing along the way who is in which group.
As has been noted, it is a global feed ... but this is still a good suggestion.

(5) Don't ignore the Lanterne Rouge!!! I don't think they should overly dramatize it, either, but simply finishing the tour is a great accomplishment and the guys at the back deserve recognition.
Meh. For people who ride Grans Tours, just finishing Isn't a major accomplishment, really ... maybe for the most injured, or the youngest. The Lanterne Rouge will generally be sprinters, or domestiques from small teams maybe ... what have the done, besides not quit? Not saying riding three weeks is easy .. but it is their job. I don't get a bonus for not quitting.
Old 07-31-18, 07:21 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 403 Posts
NBC could do a better job by giving up sports broadcasting entirely, and letting ABC handle it. I stopped watching the Olympics on TV when NBC took over, I got bothered by having to see 6 minutes of commercials and commentary and 4 minutes of sports.
Old 07-31-18, 08:11 AM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Bob Roll in a suit & tie on Sunday was disturbing. Stop it.
Not only that but his suit fit better and he looked more comfortable in it than the other two commentators.

When I saw him uncork a champagne bottle with the single swipe of a sword I knew his pool of skills ran deep.
Old 07-31-18, 12:41 PM
spokes5678

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bob is the same in real life as he is on the show.
His knowledge,genial demeanor and all round good eggness is real and genuine.
I think if Phil and Paul groom anyone to take over it should be Bob.
They've curbed his habit of going off on bizarre tangents from previous years.
Christian's ok but a little reserved.
Old 07-31-18, 02:55 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by spokes5678
Bob Roll rides without a helmet. His stock has raised immeasurably since I learned that. He and Chris VdV can handle the commentary .... Bob gets a little crazy Chris keeps him anchored ....
Old 07-31-18, 03:10 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by spokes5678
His knowledge,genial demeanor and all round good eggness is real and genuine.
I think if Phil and Paul groom anyone to take over it should be Bob.
They've curbed his habit of going off on bizarre tangents from previous years.
Christian's ok but a little reserved.
Bob is on my list of "people I'd like to have a beer with". He definitely strikes me as the real deal, no gloss, no filler, no superstar ego, just a regular down-home guy. He has some great stories to. Still looks as though he could get out there and ride a stage or two also!

Christian has gotten a lot better since he started. He was pretty hard to listen to early on.

As far as grooming them to replace Phil and Paul, well, Ill have to hear them call a sprint finish before I bless them. Phil and Paul do that very well!
Old 07-31-18, 03:31 PM
SJM205

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, CAAD4, Trek 820

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I loved the segment on Team Sky reducing saddle sores by using 9 separate washing machines. How long before this is considered an "unfair advantage"? Meanwhile EF sends their riders to the laundromat with a roll of quarters, (euros?)
Old 07-31-18, 04:57 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by SJM205
I loved the segment on Team Sky reducing saddle sores by using 9 separate washing machines. How long before this is considered an "unfair advantage"? Meanwhile EF sends their riders to the laundromat with a roll of quarters, (euros?)
LOL asthmatic hypochondriacs? Oh well.
Old 07-31-18, 06:15 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
Bob Roll
Nicolas Cage
Jeffrey Dean Morgan
Christopher Walken
John Malkovich
and to some degree, Wiggo & Sagan

What a cast of characters.

RIP Dennis Hopper, Harry Dean Stanton
Old 07-31-18, 09:31 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
I like this whole thread! NBCSn seems to have come up with a good plan for coverage this year's Tour. And though cycling fans may be a tiny minority, we can also be a passionate one, so I intend to write them an email and let them know how much I appreciate the coverage. I suggest you do the same.

I work in media, though not broadcast sports, so I have a bit of tech insight, and can tell you that some of the suggestions here, though they sound like fun, would not/will not fly. Literally. With French TV's helos in the air over the race, no way will drones from other operators be cleared to fly there. Have you seen the video story about the Tour production done a few years ago? Those spectacular helo pullbacks, where the camera (for example) rounds a mountaintop castle, then reveals the peloton (and so on) are carefully planned and rehearsed. A rando drone interfering with that...not gonna happen. Possibly French TV will find roles for them as the tech advances, but if so it'll be part of the regular feed. As far as that video feed itself, I that is French TV all the way, being 'called live' as they say. Possibly there are some options provided, but if so very limited. There's a reason that the shot often cuts away before Phil and Paul can describe what's going on, or even who is who, or when they express frustration that they don't know what's going on with certain riders...that's because the director calling the shots is not listening to them, in fact cares nothing about their commentary! I imagine the Tour as French TV's equivalent of the SuperBowl; they throw all their resources at it...and they are damn good. Compare the Tour coverage to the Vuelta or Giro and you'll surely see the difference, those races will have fewer helos, fewer moto cameras, more breakups in the video, etc. (Some of the classics are also done by French TV, like Paris-Roubaix.)

Back to the NBC part of it: Bob seems to be calming down a bit but retaining his gritty charm and Christian is becoming a more polished speaker. Both know their business, and both apparently rode their bikes between the stage-end towns at least once this year, which was awesome. Christian's rides showing parts of the route were an interesting addition, and a good use of drones for some shots...before the helos were up. Paul Burmeister does an impressive job of anchoring, I think: he doesn't know that much about cycling, but he's a good sports anchor, and it's a sport after all, so he understands the underlying dynamic and what questions to ask of his experts. I can't imagine Bob or Christian taking on his role any more than I can him explaining the strategy behind getting in the breakaway on a certain day.

As far as I'm concerned they've got a good team together now...and as always with a team, you just hope they'll be together again next year!

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 08-03-18, 08:41 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I absolutely love the coverage NBCSN provides of the tour. Honestly, it is the only time I will sit in front of the TV for more than 5 minutes. Everyday I watch from beginning to end, and then at night I watch the rerun if I have time. As with all things, improvements can be made just like the manufacturers improve their bikes every year, however I am not a broadcast expert and have no idea how they do what they to, which is quite a lot!
One bonus from watching is I got hooked on the Mecum auctions while I waited for the Tour to come on. My father in law was an auctioneer, and I love to hear top notch auctioneers at the top of their game. I love vintage cars as well and am now addicted to NBCSN for a while! They have some great stuff on that channel. Cup Seven, too!
Old 08-04-18, 03:02 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
Bob Roll
Nicolas Cage
Jeffrey Dean Morgan
Christopher Walken
John Malkovich
and to some degree, Wiggo & Sagan

What a cast of characters.

RIP Dennis Hopper, Harry Dean Stanton
you forgot gary oldman...and willem dafoe.
Old 08-04-18, 04:02 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
A: Give it back to CBS. And if you don't do cable, none of what NBC does matters.
Old 08-04-18, 01:08 PM
JTownCitycycle
CityCycle

Bikes: Brand new Cannondale Roadwarrior 3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love the Tour as it is now, any tweaking, how about take away from the break away coverage especially the ones that we know have no chance of winning. Talk to Paul and try to get him to stop repeating the last sentence of Phil's analyst,irritating after a while..........more chopper coverage and drone as well, France in the summertime is heaven !
Old 08-04-18, 03:50 PM
Maelochs

F"rance Télévisions and Eurosport France provide both a host feed and individual camera feeds for rightsholders that want to cut their own shows. NBC Sports cuts its show using those individual camera feeds, which include five motorcycle and two helicopter shots, and supplementing them with four handheld cameras (including one stationed at the finish line), three ENG packages, a specialty RED camera, and a smattering of robotic and GoPro cameras. In addition, NBC is using three cameras for its studio shows."
If they want to stick with one camera they can ... bu they cannot control what that camera operator shoots?

Anyway .... it could also be that the time and the budget for putting together a really good production on the fly isn't there (five hours live each day ... would wear out any team of directors.") Maybe NBCSN runs what it gets and then goes back for replays if needed ... but doesn't play with the main feed too much because it costs so much to do the whole package and pay the huge staff already?

Or who even knows what exactly NBC gets? Doe sit get the feed from Every camera? Doe sit buy a few? Does it take the feed from some cameras and the package deal for others?

I say again ... on-the-fly editing for a five-hour daily event with well over a dozen cameras seems like a lot to manage. I suspect they buy one of the English language packages and supplement as needed so they can put together a coherent Prime Time show.
Old 08-07-18, 08:57 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Ratings were dismal this year for the TDF, some days didn't even crack the top 150 of cable programs for the day or a 0.02 rating (that means only 2 out of 10,000 people) That means advertising revenue is almost zero and cycling already has a limited advertising revenue appeal.

I blame some of this on the inconstancy of the coverage. Some days they bumped it for stuff like "Professional Fight League". Some days it was on NBC in the morning but didn't make the effort to really promote it there.

I blame some of this on the Froome BS, just another black eye that people think cycling is doped, regardless if Froome was innocent or not.

Having top sprinters eliminated or being a non-factor hurt them also.

Drone coverage might be good but how much would it cost the TDF organizers to have them? Live cameras on the bikes might help but when you factor in everything, will any rider add the weight needed for a live camera?
Old 08-08-18, 12:21 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsblake
Live cameras on the bikes might help but when you factor in everything, will any rider add the weight needed for a live camera?
Several teams already do. There;'s an aero penalty, but a promotional benefit.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 08-09-18, 04:32 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I tried and tried but had to turn it off after a few minutes each time. They had so many commercials, it was as if they were trying to emulate the NFL model of a commercial inbetween plays, except bike racing isn't interrupted by the stop-go nature of chasing a first down. The second thing that twisted my spoke was the sick minded obsession with crashes. Maybe it was bad timing on my part but it seemed like they were constantly replaying crashes (including previous years), talking about crashes, or wondering when there will be another crash.
Old 08-09-18, 05:30 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Several teams already do. There;'s an aero penalty, but a promotional benefit.

BB
All just to result in lots of shaky camera footage of racer's butts.

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I tried and tried but had to turn it off after a few minutes each time. They had so many commercials, it was as if they were trying to emulate the NFL model of a commercial inbetween plays, except bike racing isn't interrupted by the stop-go nature of chasing a first down. The second thing that twisted my spoke was the sick minded obsession with crashes. Maybe it was bad timing on my part but it seemed like they were constantly replaying crashes (including previous years), talking about crashes, or wondering when there will be another crash.
Welcome to US sports casting...where if it isn't NFL format (do something for 5-10 seconds and then stand around and talk for 5 minutes) they don't know how to televise it.
Old 08-09-18, 06:46 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Welcome to US sports casting...where if it isn't NFL format (do something for 5-10 seconds and then stand around and talk for 5 minutes) they don't know how to televise it.
They do cram in a lot of commercials, and particularly early .... and usually 15-20 minutes commercial free at the end on climbing stages. it is how bills get paid.

It sucks, but try a sport like multi-class auto-racing----the commercials break up the race so that no one---not even the announcers---can figure out who is winning at any given time.

At least with bike racing actual "action" is pretty rare.

As for the crashes ... carashes are spectacualr and peoolpe efind them interesting. Don't blame NBC.

How many times have you sat for 20 minutes on the freeway because some guy on the other side of the media was changing a tire, but everyone had to slow down to rubberneck?

Again, it is the culture we live in.

i think you are oversensitive on that count perhaps. I watch every stage at least twice each day and it didn't seem that bad. Try watching a NASCAR super-speedway restrictor-plate race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.