Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Entry level hybrid choice

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Entry level hybrid choice

Old 02-27-19, 12:33 PM
johjo

Bikes: Bianchi Lucca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Question Entry level hybrid choice

I'm interested in some feedback before I purchase a new bike to replace my stolen Giant Sedona. I'd like something: upright (ish); light weight and straight bar vs a deep step through (easy to load); good for street or paths with some sand/ gravel. I hope to ride more after I get a more secure, easy to load bike. I have a Thule rack for my Corolla, but my Sedona always seemed wonky and I didn't feel great about going long distances. I'm 50+ female. I usually ride alone to enjoy nature, so speed not as important. There are so many places to ride here in FL, I think I'm missing out!

Currently considering Trek Verve 3- test ridden and probably my first choice. Bianchi Torino - also test ridden and I liked it. Other choices would be the Specialized Roll Elite and Cannondale Adventure.

Thank you in advance. I'm not Bike Techy so comparing all the details, other than weight, is overwhelming.
Old 02-27-19, 01:53 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
To be honest with you, we can over and over the specs until we are blue in the face. But the real question is: Did you ride each one of these and how did they make you feel? Which one did you like the best? Higher spec'd bike doesn't necessarily mean a more enjoyable bike (I'm sure to get yelled at for that line).

You need to get the one that fits you and feels good to ride!
Old 02-27-19, 05:20 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
The Verve is a good choice from a reputable brand, and so is the Roll (from Specialized). The Roll is somewhat unique in its super upright position and rather large 2.3" wide tires. I've ridden one and it's pretty fun. It's worth a look if you have a Specialized dealer local to you.
Old 02-27-19, 10:40 PM
suncruiser

Bikes: 2015 Trek District 8, 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris, 2012 SE Draft

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
+1 on the Roll. I loved mine when I had it.

That bike was a go-anywhere do-anything bike. Had the fenders for it and a rack on the back, and a set of color matched brake rotors. It felt deceivingly light for it's size (medium frame still stood pretty tall) and honestly I regret selling it. I sold it to fund my Vaya (which I ride more than I took the Roll out, my trek district and the Roll filled the same niche and the District is my go-to bike)

Ridden the verve, and honestly the roll is more fun and easy to ride.

Last edited by suncruiser; 02-27-19 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-01-19, 10:24 AM
johjo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you so far for all the replies. There are a lot of shops near me, so I will test out the Specialized Roll and Cannondale Adventure. The Specialized popped up for me after reading the forums here. I love the energy, I'm anxious to do the test rides; maybe go on a mission to get them all done in one day and then pull the trigger. TY again.
Old 03-06-19, 08:08 AM
suncruiser

Bikes: 2015 Trek District 8, 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris, 2012 SE Draft

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by johjo
Thank you so far for all the replies. There are a lot of shops near me, so I will test out the Specialized Roll and Cannondale Adventure. The Specialized popped up for me after reading the forums here. I love the energy, I'm anxious to do the test rides; maybe go on a mission to get them all done in one day and then pull the trigger. TY again.
How did the test rides go? Did you make a decision?
Old 03-08-19, 08:05 PM
johjo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No decision. Today I rode about 6 bikes. Specialized Roll Sport- I liked it, but as soon as I got on the Cannondale Adventure, I liked that more, instantly. I went to another shop and re-rode Bianchi Torino and re liked it. Then I hit the third shop and re-rode the Trek Verve (expecting to choose that one) but, nope. I think I'm going with the Bianchi Torino or the Cannondale Adventure. My next concern is fit and frame size. I prefer a non step through unisex style, but small men's frames are not very common for trying out. I've had very attentive helpful and seemingly knowledgeable service at the LBS that sells Bianchi (actually all of them). Any links to size guidelines? Thanks again!
PS I'm 5'4" 5'3" ish...
Old 03-08-19, 08:31 PM
hokiefyd 

Wow -- that Bianchi is a looker! I have a penchant for classic bikes, and all the shiny bits on that Bianchi are talkin' to me!

What size was the Torino model you rode and did it feel good? If so, buy that size. About the only measurement I'd pay a lot of attention to on a frame is stand-over. If you can stand over the bike, flat footed, and not have the top tube come into contact with, well, you know...everything else is adjustable! In fact, the Torino looks like it has an adjustable stem on it from the factory, so you should really be able to dial in your fit. For your height, something in the small-to-medium range is probably about right...but a personal fit with an actual bike is best. If the one you rode feels too big, I'm sure the bike shop would be willing to build the next smaller size if you have a genuine interest.
Old 03-10-19, 08:32 AM
johjo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I haven't been able to ride the men's bikes in the smaller size, so I've had to extrapolate my experience on the women's in small or medium size (don't want a step through) and men's in medium where the top tube is too high for me as an inexperienced rider. Newly narrowed down choices include: Trek Verve 2(adjustable stem, wider tires for trails 700x45c, ease of accessorizing as per website, shock absorber seat;Bianchi Torino I've loved it every time, but have yet to ride men's in my size and tires are smaller 700x38 but it has an adjustable stem and feels very light and fun; and this one Bianchi Lucca that may be a better, higher spec bike but is on sale for similar price to the Torino and I like the color, but doesn't have the adjustable stem. Perhaps with those very specific size and styles in mind I should do another test run?
Sorry, I can't post URLS
Anyway, maybe I should just get a different rack for my car and place less emphasis on straight top tube for easy towing ability, since that won't make much diff anyway.

Last edited by johjo; 03-10-19 at 08:35 AM. Reason: no url
Old 03-10-19, 01:55 PM
hokiefyd 

It looks like the Lucca is Bianchi's competitor to Trek's FX, and the Torino is their competitor to Trek's Verve. Both appear to be spec'd close to their peers in terms of equipment. You can buy adjustable stems for threadless stems, so you end up with a stem on the Lucca similar to the Torino. Good deal on the Lucca, with its carbon fork. I like the Bianchis a lot due to the shiny bits...they have a certain class to them.

Your bike shop should have adjustable stems in stock that will fit the Lucca -- you could ask them to install one on a Lucca just for you to try. I can't imagine they would balk at that.
Old 03-10-19, 05:25 PM
johjo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion. I shouldn't let the lack of adjustable stem on the Lucca scare me off, if I even need it. None of the exact bikes are in stock so I feel like I need to order/buy them. Maybe I will discuss my specifics with the shops. What do you think about the tires? The slightly wider tire on the Verve might be better on trails? LOL to liking the shiny bits on the Torino, I like it, too.
Old 03-11-19, 06:29 AM
hokiefyd 

For most riders in most conditions, wider tires really don't have a downside. I think you can see the general trend in the bicycling industry in the last few years, this awakening if you will, that wider tires really do work better for most people. The Verve comes with 45mm tires that should ride pretty well in most conditions. It's a relatively heavy tire with some puncture protection. I have the 35mm version of that same tire, and I can tell you that a lighter and more supple tire will ride even better. The Bianchi's tires, despite being narrower than the Verve's, may offer a better ride due to lighter construction. I don't know if they would or not, I'm just saying that tire construction has as much a part to play in ride quality as size does.

There are a lot of resources on the internet talking about the myth that exists involving tire size/width and speed. I'll link to just one here, but encourage you to find other articles as well. A lot of modern research exists on the subject. Cycling is a sport/hobby/industry storied in tradition and culture, and long-held beliefs and practices are many. We're just now getting back to the origins of cycling (with larger tires). I think the widely accepted exception to this is if you're truly traveling at speeds where the wider aerodynamic profile of the tire exceeds the benefits of the wider tire (such as lower resistance due to suspension effect). That high-speed exception certainly doesn't apply to me; it may not apply to you, either.
Old 03-12-19, 01:57 PM
xiljin

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johjo
I'm interested in some feedback before I purchase a new bike to replace my stolen Giant Sedona. I'd like something: upright (ish); light weight and straight bar vs a deep step through (easy to load); good for street or paths with some sand/ gravel. I hope to ride more after I get a more secure, easy to load bike. I have a Thule rack for my Corolla, but my Sedona always seemed wonky and I didn't feel great about going long distances. I'm 50+ female. I usually ride alone to enjoy nature, so speed not as important. There are so many places to ride here in FL, I think I'm missing out!

Currently considering Trek Verve 3- test ridden and probably my first choice. Bianchi Torino - also test ridden and I liked it. Other choices would be the Specialized Roll Elite and Cannondale Adventure.

Thank you in advance. I'm not Bike Techy so comparing all the details, other than weight, is overwhelming.

Hey johjo, are you in/near Palm Beach, FL? My wife and I both recently purchased Specialized Roll Sports locally after testing a few Giants, Norcos and Treks (no Bianchis though!), she got the small sized step through and I got the large step over. We do a few 12-20 mile rides each week through Riverbend and its surrounding canal and neighborhood trails/sidewalks (like Marisol and Jupiter Farms). The Rolls are super comfy on road or off, the large tires and seatpost suspension help absorb some of the smaller bumps.

My wife commuted to work for several years (few miles each way) on a Specialized Crossroads but really prefers the Roll now.

Good luck on your purchase!
Old 03-15-19, 08:58 AM
johjo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi xiljin! Yes, I'm in Gardens and those areas are the exact ones I would ride locally. I was at Riverbend for a hike last Tues, and was quite jelly of those cruising around, having fun. Thanks for the info on the Roll. I did try and like that one. I'm going to try the small men's Trek Verve today in Palm Beach, they have them as rentals so I will do the Lake trail on that bike and get a feel for if I really want the men's style rather than the step through. I've not had any luck finding a men's small frame anyplace else. Hopefully the weather will clear. Thanks for postiing and nice to meet you.
Hokiefyd, Thank you so very much for the tire info, link, and component and model comparison on the Trek and Bianchi. I'd opened the specs up and pored over them, but I really don't know much about what I'm looking at, so it added some clarity. I was thinking that the slightly wider tire of the Trek might be better for bike trails, but kinda liked the Bianchi better. Another test ride today, more will be revealed....

Last edited by johjo; 03-15-19 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-15-19, 10:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
# 1 pick the Bike Shop, Then buy a bike from them... Market is concentrated sourcing from a few OEM factories making many brands

so at the same price point, they will be more similar than different ..

Other than that you read the 'I got an XYZ & I like it'..

At point of sale Dealer can change parts like saddles and such..
so you don't have to take it as is like at non bike shops selling bikes.. which are also minimally / poorly assembled..

Old 03-28-19, 07:16 AM
Xyrium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just went through this with my wife. We tried a few bikes, primarily the lower-mid stuff from Cannondale and Liv. One thing I'll always emphasize is, go with your gut. She tried 4-5 different bikes, and each time she got back on a Liv Rove 2, she immediately felt comfortable. From what I'm reading, you had a similar experience with the Cannondale that you tried. So, just my opinion, but if that geometry fit you, then go for it!

Gotta love shopping for a new bike during the Spring season! Now pick one, then get out there and enjoy it!
Old 03-28-19, 05:35 PM
johjo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You are right, I did feel that way about the Adventure, but also with the Bianchi. I ended up ordering the Bianchi Lucca but if the stand over height is too high, I will go for the ladies version. The bike is at the shop, I just need to go try it and finish buying it. Congrats to your wife and happy trails to you both. I didn't get to test the Rove, but was interested except for the step through. I'll be sure to post when I've gotten my new ride. In the mean time, the forums are a a source of much inspiration and ideas.
Old 03-29-19, 11:09 AM
Xyrium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's great news. I wish you the best on your new ride! I'm sure you're excited about it! I'm in a buying mode right now as well. I'm looking at a few hybrids while I prep the sale of my old MTB. Good times!
Old 04-04-19, 10:29 AM
Armyguy1914

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3, Trek Emonda 5 Full carbon road bike,

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Im still thinking about Giant Roam 1 or 2 still thinking
Old 04-11-19, 07:51 AM
johjo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Bianchi Lucca
Old 04-11-19, 08:12 AM
johjo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry that pic is so big! Thanks for the help on choosing my bike. I did end up with the smallest men's frame, the standover height is OK, at least an inch or so. The bike seems pretty light and loads easily onto my hanging rack and seems really secure. Since I've gotten the bike I've carried it 4 times and enjoyed some great rides. Yesterday I did 14 miles at Jonathan Dickinson SP and today I feel great, no wonkiness noted, knees OK. Saddle area was good yesterday, too. Kudos to my LBS for helping me adjust handlebars and seat height and orientation, and for instruction for stepping on and off bike, etc.
I hope to do the Gen Van Fleet or Withlacoochee trails soon. Do others track with Strava? I think it might be a good way to find trails.
Woop woop!
Old 04-11-19, 03:49 PM
hokiefyd 

That Bianchi looks really smart. Congratulations!