Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Decathlon RockRider 8.1 headset

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-19, 01:58 PM
Max2thous10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Head Set Decathlon Rockrider 8.1 and 8.2
I have to find the heaset for this great frame I contacted Decathlon who was useless and sold me the wrong part stating this was not on their catalog as it was a 2010 bike.

I have subsequently found this with a with a 1 1/8" external cane creek unit. and emailed them for a fit as the tube appears to be around 40mm x 10mm top and bottom. . Does anyone have any thoughts as to the correct Headset?
Old 02-28-19, 02:11 PM
Max2thous10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know how big this is as its the only thing i can find headset-bearing-cage-11-8-id_1754427.html on decathlon site
Old 02-28-19, 02:34 PM
Max2thous10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it seems this might be a Rockrider/Cane Creek external , however can find it nowhere
Old 02-28-19, 07:19 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Can you take a picture and link to it (users with fewer than 10 posts cannot post pictures directly)? You may just need to break down and take some measurements. You may need to take the existing headset out and measure it or take it to a bike shop to match it up.
Old 03-01-19, 03:26 AM
Max2thous10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If this no longer is made and in the light of having no response from Cane Creek would it be possible with enough arterial on it to use a lathe to turn down a 41 external headset?
Old 03-01-19, 06:46 AM
hokiefyd 

I don't think I'd turn down a headset. You may get more experienced responses in the Bicycle Mechanics subforum. Good luck with your project!
Old 03-02-19, 03:27 AM
Max2thous10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have received an email from Deputy Manager at Decathlon who wrote that she would check her spares for me which was quite kind. I have sent them further information. They have suggested am Ahead head-set
I have spoken to XtraUK who are also looking into it for me thanks Hockie.

This website said The following errors occurred with your submission
  1. You are allowed to post 5 posts in 24 hours. Please wait for this amount of time.
This website is just very annoying and sorry I cant reply earlier it just wastes your time and mine. Yes i have pictures but your website is preventing me uploading them too. It also logs me out when I try again to send its a bit unhelpful. Are you aware of this please as its frustrating?
Old 03-02-19, 04:17 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Max2thous10
I have received an email from Deputy Manager at Decathlon who wrote that she would check her spares for me which was quite kind. I have sent them further information. They have suggested am Ahead head-set
I have spoken to XtraUK who are also looking into it for me thanks Hockie.

This website said The following errors occurred with your submission
  1. You are allowed to post 5 posts in 24 hours. Please wait for this amount of time.
This website is just very annoying and sorry I cant reply earlier it just wastes your time and mine. Yes i have pictures but your website is preventing me uploading them too. It also logs me out when I try again to send its a bit unhelpful. Are you aware of this please as its frustrating?
You are only able to post 5 x in 24 hours to stop spamming, it's very useful, same for photos, as you never know what will be posted by a first-time poster...

For your issues, how I am reading it, is you have sourced a Decathalon frame, and want to build it up? but for some reason, the headset is a non-standard size? I would find this very suspect, as unless there is a QC issue, bikes all around the world have had standardized parts for a long time.

Thinking your best option would be to either physically go to a Decathlon store, or a good LBS for assistance with sourcing a headset, on the basis that the headset is a standard size, any brand will do.

If it's non-standard, would look at what you have put into the frame, and consider your options, as getting a non-standard headset may prove impossible. A quick search for the Rockrider 8.1 indicates that it's a 10-year-old ish bike, bikes have moved on, unless you are happy with an older design, with the associated issues for sourcing components, it's often now worth the time trying to build one, a getting a complete bike new will be cheaper.
Old 03-02-19, 04:43 AM
Max2thous10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks I have opened a post in the Bicycle Mechanics. thanks for your help
Old 04-19-19, 03:07 AM
Max2thous10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rebuild
Old 04-19-19, 05:56 AM
hokiefyd 

That looks good; is that with a new headset, or is that the original you're trying to replace?
Old 04-22-19, 03:52 AM
Max2thous10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It the new headset bearing I received from Decathlon Am very grateful of their help .

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
That looks good; is that with a new headset, or is that the original you're trying to replace?
Old 04-22-19, 03:55 AM
Max2thous10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to sort out some brakes are the cheap Shimano hydraulics and good which are on eBay between 35 and 45 pounds ?
Old 04-22-19, 05:49 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by Max2thous10
I have to sort out some brakes are the cheap Shimano hydraulics and good which are on eBay between 35 and 45 pounds ?
I upgraded the brakes on my MTB from cable-pull to hydraulic and have been very happy with them. I looked for the same brakes that came on my Giant Roam, just for consistency (Shimano M315). If you search eBay for "shimano M315", you'll see a lot of results in your price range. These are basic hydraulic brakes which work well. Just be sure to get the hose length configuration you want. That is, left lever/front wheel/short hose or left lever/rear wheel/long hose.
Old 10-19-19, 03:29 PM
Max2thous10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I Have my brakes M80020 now after finding the brackets fitted the front but not the rear in addition to buying bigger disks 223mm which was more expensive this is now all working was great to be on a bike I was considering a mid mounted motor conversion after talking to a friend with a 400watt kit. However in my price range on eBay there is lots of options for mid mount kit does anyone have any recommendations please?

Cheers
M