Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Riding position change animation

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-19, 10:57 PM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

A couple animations with implications for fit and position to contemplate. In both animated gifs the riding position is identical yet pivoted forward or backward relative to the center of the bottom bracket. Notice that as the handlebar comes up the stem has to be shorter, the rider is shifted backwards, the saddle moves back and down, and there's a hell of a lot more weight on the rear wheel.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 03-09-19 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-10-19, 09:04 AM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
The riding position is not identical if you change the height and set back of the saddle. Seems like you would want to keep those constant if they were set correctly initially.

Originally Posted by Clem von Jones
In both animated gifs the riding position is identical yet pivoted forward or backward relative to the center of the bottom bracket. Notice that as the handlebar comes up the stem has to be shorter, the rider is shifted backwards, the saddle moves back and down, and there's a hell of a lot more weight on the rear wheel.
Old 03-11-19, 10:46 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I like your animation. It helps visualize the effects of changes in position. After a number of years and miles I have arrived at a very comfortable position but it was a painful struggle to get here. It makes sense that a small change in position can have a major effect on comfort during a long ride but I have found that a small change can have a significant effect even on short rides. To help with those changes, I've marked, using a whiteout marker, various locations on the bike for seat post and saddle location and handle bar. This has made it easy to make changes on the fly to those locations and get back to a previous location.
Old 03-12-19, 03:32 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
More/less weight goes to the arms too. What is missing here is the power that rider is putting out. The force on the pedals is lifting for the arms. A high power low front is more comfortable than a low power low front.