Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I Own a Supercycle KrossRoads, How Can I Make The Gearing Suck Less?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I Own a Supercycle KrossRoads, How Can I Make The Gearing Suck Less?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-19, 02:54 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by mikjames
Yeah now I'm remembering other problems with it. The brakes haven't failed after a summer of riding, but they are loose on either side of the tire, so it's half braked most of the time.
This isn't my first time on an internet forum. I'd really appreciate it if we can cut past the elitist forum bashing and focus on the facts though. I started this thread because I want to learn what is causing the problem, and how to avoid it in the future. It looks like I'm going to be replacing the bike. So getting back to the task at hand, where does this problem typically arise from? Is it typically an issue with the rear 7 speed derailleurs, or the front 3 speed derailleurs?

My initial assumption is the more cogs you put on a gear set, the higher the margin for shifting errors. Is that an accurate starting assumption folks? I imagine it is even more complex when you need to align 2 sets of cogs with each other. Single speed is simply not an option for me, and 3 speeds probably isn't enough either. I want a new (or slightly used) bike that I can get over the local hills with. So what should I be looking for? Should I avoid anything with a rear derailleur, front derailleur, multiple cogs, greater than 5-6 gears per cog? Is it better to have 2 cogs with 3-5 gears, or one cog with 7-10? I'm here to learn what to buy, not just to learn all the specifics of why my particular bike is garbage.
My apologies; on my part, at least, I failed to help you with your actual problem, and you seem to be at the steepest part of the learning curve, since you aren't using standard terms to describe the parts of the bike's transmission.

Here is the most basic explanation of what the parts are and what they do in a derailleur transmission:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears.html

You won't be able to get good information until you know how to ask the right questions, and for that you need to know the proper names of the parts. Note that "chainwheel" isn't used too much; you'll more commonly see "chainring." And "sprocket" is pretty much exclusively used in reference to the rear end of the drive system.

Maybe someone will post more and/or better references.
Old 03-18-19, 03:14 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I stripped the Shimano 333 stuff off of a Wards Hawthorne and made it a single speed, Bam! It was a ladies frame and a gift to someone though. Too bad, that frame was strong.
Old 03-18-19, 03:44 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
The rear derailleur is removable. Here's a link. If you use the zoom tool you can almost zoom it big enough to tell what kind of RD it is, but you can definitely zoom in enough to see the attachment bolt.

-Matt
Old 03-18-19, 03:58 PM
zarbog

Bikes: Giant SLR GX1 Toughroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Canada is huge, are you near Toronto by chance? Police auction has occasional decent bikes for little money. This one will probably go for around 150 bucks https://www.policeauctionscanada.com...d-Bike-176547D

Check kijiji gor local bike repair people, and for used parts.
Old 03-18-19, 06:20 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
The picture of the bike clearly shows it had a derailleur hangar attached to the rear dropout and the derailleur bolted to the hangar. If you think that everything you need to know you learned by Kindergarten, that's really sad I hadn't learned the parts of a bike by then. . Over the years I have gone from a one speed to a 3 speed to a 10 speed and now to a 30 speed drive train. With quality parts, the 30 speed shifting works even better than my first 10 speed. Also had one with 48 speeds due to using internal hubs.

Last edited by VegasTriker; 03-18-19 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-18-19, 06:27 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
OP needs to grab some wrenches and an Allen key set and start tightening fasteners!
Old 03-18-19, 07:04 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
So, I happened to be in a Canadian Tire store this afternoon, and I wandered over to the bike aisle, which is one area I usually avoid. Sure enough, there was a Krossroads in the rack, so I pulled it out to have a look see.
Aluminum frame, vertical dropouts and no removable derailleur hanger. Bottom of the line direct mount Shimano derailleur to match the build level of the rest of the bike.
Old 03-18-19, 07:17 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
What has happened to teaching of basic math in schools?
This isn't about the gearing ratios, it's about getting the gears to function. The only math needed is is it worth sticking $$$ into fixing.
Old 03-19-19, 05:58 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The gears will never work correctly if the derailleur hanger is out of alignment. The pulleys need to be aligned vertically and horizontally with the freewheel. So check that first.

If the derailleur is aligned OK, then you could be looking at simple adjustments. Find some videos on Youtube and get to work. Ditto with fixing your brakes. Don't expect us to diagnose all your problems remotely and teach you how to do simple tasks that a normal person could teach himself by futzing for 5 minutes.
Old 03-19-19, 06:56 AM
mikjames

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
My apologies; on my part, at least, I failed to help you with your actual problem, and you seem to be at the steepest part of the learning curve, since you aren't using standard terms to describe the parts of the bike's transmission.

Here is the most basic explanation of what the parts are and what they do in a derailleur transmission:

You won't be able to get good information until you know how to ask the right questions, and for that you need to know the proper names of the parts. Note that "chainwheel" isn't used too much; you'll more commonly see "chainring." And "sprocket" is pretty much exclusively used in reference to the rear end of the drive system.

Maybe someone will post more and/or better references.
Not that you have any obligation to be helpful or to apologize, but this is the least sincere "apology" I've ever seen. I don't have time to read up on the history/mechanisms of gearing just because you take issue with one of my terms. If you don't understand a term or believe it to be incorrect, point it out and get over it. Others have already provided useful information based on the info I've provided. I'll say it again, you have no obligation to be helpful. If you are primarily concerned with trashing cheap brands, pointing out how naive I was to make such a purchase, and providing an introduction to gearing with a condescending apology...go right ahead. You aren't fooling anyone with your mock sincerity, I don't appreciate your brand of "help".
Old 03-19-19, 07:02 AM
mikjames

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
If you think that everything you need to know you learned by Kindergarten, that's really sad I hadn't learned the parts of a bike by then.
Are you kidding me with this? What does grade school have to do with becoming a bicycle mechanic? When did figuring out which parts to replace or not replace come to require a post secondary degree?
The rear derailleur is permanently bolted to the frame with a flimsy bolt, I've said this right from the start of the thread. I don't understand how some of you can get so far off topic and so damn confused. I'm not here to become a damn bicycle mechanic, I'm here seeking basic information regarding the reliability of various gearing configurations.
Old 03-19-19, 07:05 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,603 Times in 3,467 Posts
@rollagain Please leave the thread. Do not respond further in this thread. Thanks!
Old 03-19-19, 07:09 AM
mikjames

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
So, I happened to be in a Canadian Tire store this afternoon, and I wandered over to the bike aisle, which is one area I usually avoid. Sure enough, there was a Krossroads in the rack, so I pulled it out to have a look see.
Aluminum frame, vertical dropouts and no removable derailleur hanger. Bottom of the line direct mount Shimano derailleur to match the build level of the rest of the bike.
Originally Posted by dedhed
This isn't about the gearing ratios, it's about getting the gears to function. The only math needed is is it worth sticking $$$ into fixing.
Thank you! Finally we have forum members with confirmation, and a reasonable comprehension of the problem, and it only took 2 pages of repeating it!
My conclusions: 1) Single speed is always going to be the most reliable, though not particularly practical for the hills of Halifax/Dartmouth. 2) The more gears you have on a cog/set (or whatever the hell you deem the correct terminology), the greater the required precision and cost of components for smooth shifting. 3) We have quite a few of the best bicycle mechanics on here, who also have the prestigious achievement of completing grade school under their belt, and they're here to ensure we all become top notch bike mechanics as well
Old 03-19-19, 07:29 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,603 Times in 3,467 Posts
Guys, the OP has made it clear more than once, if you don't have anything helpful to say don't say anything at all.
Old 03-19-19, 08:54 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
A question Dan. Is the derailer permanently secured to the hanger by a rivet or some sort of non removable post or is it a hex drive bolt?

Thank you! Finally we have forum members with confirmation, and a reasonable comprehension of the problem, and it only took 2 pages of repeating it!
My conclusions: 1) Single speed is always going to be the most reliable, though not particularly practical for the hills of Halifax/Dartmouth. 2) The more gears you have on a cog/set (or whatever the hell you deem the correct terminology), the greater the required precision and cost of components for smooth shifting. 3) We have quite a few of the best bicycle mechanics on here, who also have the prestigious achievement of completing grade school under their belt, and they're here to ensure we all become top notch bike mechanics as well
Don't let the crazies get you down. There are some good folks too.

If the derailer is permanently attached you have a problem but if it's a removable bolt you can just buy a cheap used donor bike for parts or even a low/mid level derailer to replace it. For basic commuting there is a point where spending more on parts doesn't get better returns. At this point it may be a lesson learned and you will know more of what to look for/avoid in the future. Let's wait to hear what Dan says about the derailer.
Old 03-19-19, 09:28 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
A question Dan. Is the derailer permanently secured to the hanger by a rivet or some sort of non removable post or is it a hex drive bolt?

Don't let the crazies get you down. There are some good folks too.

If the derailer is permanently attached you have a problem but if it's a removable bolt you can just buy a cheap used donor bike for parts or even a low/mid level derailer to replace it. For basic commuting there is a point where spending more on parts doesn't get better returns. At this point it may be a lesson learned and you will know more of what to look for/avoid in the future. Let's wait to hear what Dan says about the derailer.
The derailleur is not permanently attached. It's a standard direct mount (bolt on) type which can be easily upgraded.
My observation was that it mounts directly to the frame without use of a removable/ replaceable hanger that aluminum frames usually have.
I should also note that direct mount has more than one meaning when it comes to Shimano derailleurs. The other type is much more recent and applies only on the top end.
Old 03-19-19, 10:00 AM
Happy Feet

The derailleur is not permanently attached. It's a standard direct mount (bolt on) type which can be easily upgraded.
My observation was that it mounts directly to the frame without use of a removable/ replaceable hanger that aluminum frames usually have.
I should also note that direct mount has more than one meaning when it comes to Shimano derailleurs. The other type is much more recent and applies only on the top end.

Mikjames. Your problem is just a crappy bottom of the line derailer and the solution is easy enough. Replace the rear derailer with a new mid grade model (don't cheap out but also no need for high end on that level of build). Perhaps look at another shop just for a change and even better a family oriented or old school shop that is comfortable working on lower level/older bikes. The mechanics often have a better knowledge of workaround fixes.

You don't need a removable bolt hanger, many good frames from the 70s and 80's did not have them. To secure the hanger bolt better use some loctite and if the threads are stripped you can probably use a longer bolt and squeeze a thin nut behind the hanger.
Old 03-19-19, 11:03 AM
mikjames

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Wonderful!

Mikjames. Your problem is just a crappy bottom of the line derailer and the solution is easy enough. Replace the rear derailer with a new mid grade model (don't cheap out but also no need for high end on that level of build). Perhaps look at another shop just for a change and even better a family oriented or old school shop that is comfortable working on lower level/older bikes. The mechanics often have a better knowledge of workaround fixes.

You don't need a removable bolt hanger, many good frames from the 70s and 80's did not have them. To secure the hanger bolt better use some loctite and if the threads are stripped you can probably use a longer bolt and squeeze a thin nut behind the hanger.
Oh, I think I understand what the problem is then. It's the built in bolt hanger that is the problem, it's loose/flimsy. I'm looking into a higher quality bike, there are a few affordable Trek's in my area.
Old 03-19-19, 11:43 AM
Happy Feet

Oh, I think I understand what the problem is then. It's the built in bolt hanger that is the problem, it's loose/flimsy. I'm looking into a higher quality bike, there are a few affordable Trek's in my area.
When you see a bike you like try asking about it in the commuter or hybrid sub forums here. They are a little more average joe user friendly that way. General discussions is a bit kooky.

On the next bike, if it has shimano components, look for at least Claris or Sora labeling. There is better of course but that will be good enough while not buying another future low grade problem.

Fwiw as to terminology. The one piece bolt hanger is fine. That's the part of the bike that extends just past the wheel axle and is solid. The problem is the derailer itself. That is the whole thing attached beyond the black bolt with the hex hole in the middle. It's just poorly machined with too much play to be adjusted for any amount of time.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 03-19-19 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-19-19, 02:08 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
The bolt/hanger looseness is a result of the low quality of the derailleur, nothing else. What I fail to understand is why bikes shops that you have been to did not explain this. It is entirely possible that there was a misunderstanding between you and the shop when you brought the bike in. They may have thought that you were unwilling to spend enough to replace your poor quality rear derailleur and other shift components for more reliable parts. It might have been a communication issue on both sides. I have looked back at your original question and one point that I wonder about is how much you rode this bike before you encountered problems. The bike was not designed for someone who would use it almost every day and in all sorts of weather conditions. It is designed for occasional use for casual cycling. Used that way, it would probably provide years of enjoyable service. However, it is not made for everyday all weather cycling. If you have been riding it regularly in Halifax/Dartmouth in poor weather conditions, you will have exceeded its design specifications. Fewer speeds will not equate to better reliability, only to buying a bike with cheaper parts unless you decide to buy a bike with a good quality internal rear hub with 5 speeds or more. If you are talking about bicycles that use derailleurs to change gears, you always have to have a rear derailleur, you cannot have a viable bike with a left hand 3 speed shifter unless you also have a rear derailleur. Fewer "speeds" (7 or less for your right hand) pretty much relegates you to low quality parts unless you are looking at a bike that is over 20 years old. 8,9,10 speed shifting requires better precision, but component manufacturers have pretty much abandoned anything less than 8 speed to cheap department store bikes. The good news is that very good high quality rear derailleurs designed for as many as "9 speeds" will work very well with your 7 speed shifters
Old 03-19-19, 03:29 PM
Happy Feet

MEC, a Canadian company, sells Shimano Altus and Tourney rear derailers for $38 and $25 respectively. There's no problem getting a 7 speed RD for the bike.
Old 03-19-19, 03:48 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from...&_sacat=177813
Old 03-19-19, 06:05 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The bolt isn't flimsy, but it could be loose. Especially given the reputation that department stores everywhere have earned for their conscientious assembly practices. (Not!)
Old 03-20-19, 08:01 AM
mikjames

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't why the bike shop would declare the same problem time and again. I offered on multiple occasions to buy a better derailleur from them along with other components, and they keep saying the same thing about the derailleur bolt hanger. They are the highest rated shop in Dartmouth/Halifax. Since I live in Dartmouth it hasn't made any sense to travel to Halifax for repairs. It's possible they just really wanted to sell me the entry level Brody bikes they've mentioned.
I'm going to start a new thread on the local bike brands, though I'm not optimistic on getting advice within my budget. I simply won't spend more than 600$ on a bike taxes, and it would have to be a hell of a 600$ bike to even justify spending that.
Old 03-20-19, 08:18 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
I don't why the bike shop would declare the same problem time and again. I offered on multiple occasions to buy a better derailleur from them along with other components, and they keep saying the same thing about the derailleur bolt hanger. They are the highest rated shop in Dartmouth/Halifax. Since I live in Dartmouth it hasn't made any sense to travel to Halifax for repairs. It's possible they just really wanted to sell me the entry level Brody bikes they've mentioned.
I'm going to start a new thread on the local bike brands, though I'm not optimistic on getting advice within my budget. I simply won't spend more than 600$ on a bike taxes, and it would have to be a hell of a 600$ bike to even justify spending that.
Maybe the hole in the hanger is stripped? Have you tried just tightening the allen head bolt holding the derailleur to the hanger? If you can tighten it and it no longer flops around then you're good. If you can tighten it and it still seems flimsy it's probably the derailleur. A new $30 rear derailleur should be all you need. If you turn the bolt and it doesn't get tight, then the hole is stripped. As someone posted above, you might be able to get a longer derailleur mounting bolt and a thin nut to hold it from the inside, but I don't imagine it would be straightforward to find parts that would work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.