Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shimano cleats and power meters - still no good options?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Shimano cleats and power meters - still no good options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 09:07 AM
rumatt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Shimano cleats and pedal power meters - still no good options?

I'm back into cycling after several years off. I'm buying a new set of wheels for my commuter / training bike and was hoping to avoid buying a powertap hub. I have several on all my other bikes and they're great, but they're also ugly and locks you into that wheelset.

I was excited to see pedal power meters seem to have boomed. I love how easily I could move them to a different bike if needed. But I currently have shimano pedals on all my bikes and shimano cleats on all my shoes. I am not switching them all out. It seems my only option for pedals is a Garmin Vector 2 + 6800 cleats + conversion kit = around $950. Yikes.

I don't like crank meters either (my cranksets on the various bikes are different gearing and arm length - intentionally) so I guess I'm back to powertap G3... or I'm leaning toward skipping power for now. Get some white industry hubs, enjoy the ride... and if I decide I need power on this bike I'll hope someone makes a better option for shimano cleats.

Last edited by rumatt; 03-20-19 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-20-19, 11:05 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Hmm. I'm not sure I understand the aversion to crank-based PMs. My understanding is that they measure torque and cadence and multiply those data to get power. I thought they didn't care about gearing or crank length.
Old 03-20-19, 11:07 AM
rumatt

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, I just meant that I have different types of cranks on different bikes so I wouldn't be able to swap it. At that point I might as well stick with a powertap.
Old 03-20-19, 10:04 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Hmmm... there appear to be quite a few different 3 bolt cleat styles, but generally not Shimano compatible.

It looks like IQ2 is making an a pedal spindle adapter power meter.

https://www.iqsquare.com/onlineshop

This might be one of the few ones that would be compatible with 2-bolt cleat types.

One issue, of course, is that it will naturally increase the crank Q-Factor by a bit. However, the size may be small enough that the shoe could overhang it a bit, if the spindles could be shortened or cleats adjusted to compensate.
Old 03-20-19, 10:15 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Hmmm... there appear to be quite a few different 3 bolt cleat styles, but generally not Shimano compatible.

This might be one of the few ones that would be compatible with 2-bolt cleat types.

One issue, of course, is that it will naturally increase the crank Q-Factor by a bit. However, the size may be small enough that the shoe could overhang it a bit, if the spindles could be shortened or cleats adjusted to compensate.
Thanks for posting that!
Old 03-20-19, 10:59 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I've been looking for a power meter that's easy to add to an existing bike without upgrading some other part that doesn't need it, because I don't want to make the bike fancier, just measure power. Pedals seem to be what I want, and there are a couple of brands. Favero Assioma one-sided, plus roadie shoes = $500+. This is still less than a Stages which would need me to change out for a compatible crankset.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 03-20-19 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-21-19, 05:57 AM
rumatt

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes the existing pedal options seem great if you aren't using Shimano clears. DC rainmaker has done several comparisons and reviews that are very thorough.
Old 03-21-19, 06:48 AM
BonkonFleet

Bikes: 2018 Trek Emonda sl6 Disc

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I don't know if they've actually started shipping these yet. I also don't think they have released any power data, or have had any reviews done on their power meter yet either. Not saying it wont be a good product, just that nobody knows anything about it yet.
Old 03-21-19, 07:09 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by BonkonFleet
I don't know if they've actually started shipping these yet. I also don't think they have released any power data, or have had any reviews done on their power meter yet either. Not saying it wont be a good product, just that nobody knows anything about it yet.
Well I like the price, in my budget. After spending this winter training at my lbs on a computrainer I really would like to add a pm but the cost is just too much for me to justify it. This may be the ticket.
Old 03-22-19, 03:52 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

If there were an SPD power meter it’d be in my shopping cart waiting for payday.
Old 03-22-19, 04:34 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
If there were an SPD power meter it’d be in my shopping cart waiting for payday.
I'm surprised that nobody has made one yet. I presume the belief is that MTB users would be too hard on them.

But, I think there is wide usage of the pedals with other disciplines.

I'm thinking of the IQ2 + a shorter pedal spindle (if one could make/acquire one).
Old 03-22-19, 05:05 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I'm surprised that nobody has made one yet. I presume the belief is that MTB users would be too hard on them.
Probably. Stages makes arms for various cranks. Presumably so does Quark. I think that’s the only deliberately MTB-friendly power product I’ve seen.

But lots of people use SPD’s on roadies and there are non-MTB spd pedals (like campus pedals or my T400’s). There are other roadie pedals too. It’s weird the power pedals have all gone with otherwise rare Xpedo and not even “real” SPD-SL or any other roadie options

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 03-22-19 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-23-19, 06:11 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by rumatt
I'm back into cycling after several years off. I'm buying a new set of wheels for my commuter / training bike and was hoping to avoid buying a powertap hub. I have several on all my other bikes and they're great, but they're also ugly and locks you into that wheelset.
If you have several on all you other bikes and they're great, why don't you just swap one of those wheels over to your commuter/training bike?
Old 03-23-19, 06:30 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by BonkonFleet
Whether it is a good product or not...+16mm per side is an entirely different zip code in Q-factor...and I don't think any pdeal OEM makes axles with narrower Q-factor (so that you could compensate), only slightly larger.
Old 03-23-19, 08:10 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Whether it is a good product or not...+16mm per side is an entirely different zip code in Q-factor...and I don't think any pdeal OEM makes axles with narrower Q-factor (so that you could compensate), only slightly larger.
What is this Q factor I see in this thread? Seems related to foot separation when mounted on pedals. Or am I way off base?
Old 03-23-19, 10:00 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
If/when my PowerTap G3 hub dies (going on 15,000 miles), I will not replace it. Instead I will wait patiently for a SPD compatible pedal PM, whenever that happens. The ability to move the PM between the 4 bikes (road1, road2, mtb, and commuter) is important to me.
Old 03-23-19, 11:13 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
What is this Q factor I see in this thread? Seems related to foot separation when mounted on pedals. Or am I way off base?
No, you are spot on. From Wikipedia: " the distance between the pedal attachment points on the crank arms, when measured parallel to the bottom bracket axle. " Affects your body mechanics and such.
Old 05-03-19, 11:47 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I just got an update from IQ2.

Apparently they've decided that the screw-in based power meter won't work. So, they're re-designing to make pedal based power meters.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/c...=#/updates/all

https://www.iqsquare.com/

And, they are supposed to be making both SPD & KEO pedals (single or dual sided).

The new design looks cool. Although all of their photos appear to be CGI, rather than actual photos.

They likely are already halfway there, already having most of the electronics and software ready, although the layout will be affected if they get rid of the pods.

But, they're running about a year behind already. So... maybe Spring 2020? I find their Fall goal is dubious, although perhaps they'll get things rolling quickly soon.
Old 05-03-19, 12:01 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

I just got an update from IQ2.

Apparently they've decided that the screw-in based power meter won't work. So, they're re-designing to make pedal based power meters.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/c...=#/updates/all

https://www.iqsquare.com/

And, they are supposed to be making both SPD & KEO pedals (single or dual sided).

The new design looks cool. Although all of their photos appear to be CGI, rather than actual photos.

They likely are already halfway there, already having most of the electronics and software ready, although the layout will be affected if they get rid of the pods.

But, they're running about a year behind already. So... maybe Spring 2020? I find their Fall goal is dubious, although perhaps they'll get things rolling quickly soon.

Jeeze....that is a glaring design flaw that they should have found in designing or even prototyping, not testing mass-production units. If someone on their design team knew how a strain gauge power meter worked...they should have known in the initial design phase the original design would not work.

Talk about inspiring confidence?
Old 05-03-19, 12:24 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Jeeze....that is a glaring design flaw that they should have found in designing or even prototyping, not testing mass-production units. If someone on their design team knew how a strain gauge power meter worked...they should have known in the initial design phase the original design would not work.

Talk about inspiring confidence?
It doesn't say how big of a production run they did. Perhaps producing a few hundred products. But, presumably they were already scaling up their assembly line to go from a few hundred demo products to a few thousand pre-sales.

They'll likely re-use many of their microchips (that weren't installed), but need to make new circuit boards, and a bunch of new stuff.

Undoubtedly this will be a costly error for a small company.

Although, I'm not sure how they could have made essentially 20 or so "finished" products without being halfway to their production.

If I was them, I would have already been researching full pedals while they were still working on their screw in spindles. So, this may not be as big of a setback as it seems.

They haven't stated how they're dealing with pre-sales. I presume that those who have ordered double-sided pre-sales will get an offer to choose SPD vs KEO, also double-sided.

Kickstarter was closed quite some time ago. But Indiegogo still seems to accept bulk purchases (or one can buy individually on their website, or just wait).
Old 05-03-19, 02:43 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Looks like iQ2 will be shipping pedals.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/05/...ng-pedals.html

Last edited by Wilmingtech; 05-03-19 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-03-19, 02:50 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by Wilmingtech

DCR mixed/mashed his language...they aren't "(now) shipping" they "(will now be) shipping". The unrealistic timeline for actually shipping is August 2019 something they don't even have prototypes yet of--only computer renderings.
Old 05-03-19, 02:51 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilmingtech

Uh doesn't that say Aug? They don't even have a working prototype, how are they shipping?
Old 05-03-19, 03:35 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by redlude97
Uh doesn't that say Aug? They don't even have a working prototype, how are they shipping?
No shipping now. And, DCRainMaker concluded exactly the same as I had that fall 2019 is unrealistic, and we'll be lucky to see them for spring 2020.

I'd have to read the fine print to try to figure out how far along they are with a prototype.

Presumably any early prototype looks more like Frankenstein than anything one would wish to ride (perhaps using stolen proprietary parts). Thus, the "fake photos" sent out to their customers.

For SPD on a road bike, DCRainMaker's concerns about added durability won't be an issue, but perhaps MTB riding will be different.

The idea of a Speedplay pedal is interesting. Initially it would probably be a bit bulky, but could quickly be improved with Gen2 or Gen3. But, no moving parts, it could be a reasonably durable platform. And even a good shape.
Old 05-04-19, 08:41 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Well I can’t say I’m surprised. Even if the original product worked as designed the added Q factor would be a killer for a lot of potential users.

i hope they succeed with their SPD’s before they fold for lack of selling anything.
Genesis 49:16-17

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.