Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Couplers' Location in Frame Design

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 04-21-19, 08:27 AM
Paluc52

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

In the construction of SS-coupled (or Z-coupled) tandems, are there disadvantages to locating all the couplers in the tubes between the captain's and stoker's seat tubes? An advantage, it seems to me, is that it is easier to pack two triangles, plus a couple of straight tubes. Is there a structural (stiffness) or durability price paid in using this design approach?
Old 04-21-19, 11:09 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 260 Posts
As long as you keep the couplers tight they are more structurally sound than the tubes they are connected to. I believe as long as you can put the uncoupled tandem in to 2 airline legal suitcases the location were the couplers are installed on the frame is correct.
Old 04-21-19, 01:32 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
The advantage to having couplers in front of the captain’s seat tube is that it allows removal of the front triangle without having to remove the timing belt (or chain). This allows me to fit our tandem in the back of our small car by simply undoing the couplers and cable splitters.

Of of course if your rear brake is hydraulic, this point is moot.
Old 04-21-19, 01:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
FWIW Rodriquez 6 pack travel bikes have S&S couplers on both ends of the main triangle tubes.
plus in the wishbone seat and chainstays
[ BTC are stronger than the tubes they go onto..]

looks like they use 14 of them.. (6 in the solo bikes)

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-21-19 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-21-19, 09:27 PM
bikeinxs

Bikes: Ibis Cousin It converted to a drop bar dirt road cruiser, True North Ti Tandem, garage full of half bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Paluc52
In the construction of SS-coupled (or Z-coupled) tandems, are there disadvantages to locating all the couplers in the tubes between the captain's and stoker's seat tubes? An advantage, it seems to me, is that it is easier to pack two triangles, plus a couple of straight tubes. Is there a structural (stiffness) or durability price paid in using this design approach?
I'm addition to easy partial breakdown to fit in a car you are able to pack the front section in an S&S case without removing the fork.
Old 04-22-19, 07:43 AM
scycheng

Bikes: Merlin Road, Rivendell Road, Arvon custom tandme, Hi-Light G-7

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
If those are 2" couplers, that's a lot of $$$. Certainly will pack well.
Old 04-30-19, 06:39 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Lolly, our mountain tandem, only has 4 couplers. We're doing our first flight trip with her 8 weeks from today. Since all of our housings are full length, it will present some challenges I am sure.

Old 04-30-19, 08:26 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
I've built and packed up a handful of tandems with both coupler arrangements. In general, I find having couplers in front of the captain seat tube to be the superior approach. However, some tandems can't be made to fit into an S&S hardcase with that arrangement. Here are the pros of of the front-of-seat-tube couplers:
1. Small head tube / front triangle: very easy to fit in case without fork. Sometimes possible to leave fork installed.
2. (as others have noted) Bike can be partially disassembled for cars/trains without adjusting the sync chain/belt. We occasionally put the tandem inside our hatchback by disconnecting the cable splitters and front couplers. Wheels, seats, fenders, etc all remain installed.
3. Reassembly of the frame tends to be easier.
Cons of loose tubes:
1. Loose tubes can be installed at any orientation or flipped front-to-back. Bottle cages or cable guides could be located incorrectly. For those bikes, it's handy to put some match marks on the couplers.
2. Front triangle and rear triangle are both very large chunks. It can be difficult to nest them together.
Pros of loose tubes:
1. Allows tandems with especially long stoker compartments to fit into S&S suitcase.

In both coupler arrangements, a captain crankarm sometimes has to be removed or reversed.
Old 04-30-19, 09:52 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by scycheng
If those are 2" couplers, that's a lot of $$$. Certainly will pack well.
That's their 2014 model. Both the year & model name on account of the year introduced & it's 14 couplers.

I think it's around $12-$13,000 dollars. I've met the owners of that commissioned the original. Their bike has 50,000 miles currently and has been on 6 continents.

It fits in carry on luggage...in the overhead bin. Which makes sense. Anything at that price isn't worth being "lost" by baggage handlers or sloppy airlines!