Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Blogger's Forum
Reload this Page >

Ive setup a small bot for some quick biking info, happy to share it

Blogger's Forum Whether it's a cycling blog, or just your personal page, this is the place to share ideas and links.

Old 03-13-19, 06:58 AM
elpedaleur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A bot for quick assistance with clothing, weather and other bike related info

Hi,

Hope this is the right place to share this, otherwise let me know.

As an avid biking fan I created a Telegram bot to help me out quick with weather conditions specifically for a bike ride (where is the wind coming from, which way to head to have headwind first, what is the apparent temperature, what is most appropriate to wear etc). Ive use it quite a bit for a quick check before heading out. Since it is hosted on Telegram it is freely available, so maybe someone else likes to make use of it too.
Anyway, if interest you can add the bot by looking for @roadbike_bot
Or by following: https://t.me/roadbike_bot

Old 04-14-19, 03:07 AM
elpedaleur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As an avid biking fan and frequent biking commuter I created a Telegram bot to help me out quick with weather conditions specifically for a bike ride (where is the wind coming from, which way to head to have headwind first, what is the apparent temperature, what is most appropriate to wear etc). Ive use it quite a bit for a quick check before heading out. Since it is hosted on Telegram it is freely available, so maybe someone else likes to make use of it too.
Anyway, if someone finds this also useful or interesting you can try it out by looking for @roadbike_bot on telegram of by following the link: https://t.me/roadbike_bot
Old 04-14-19, 10:17 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 419 Post(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 60 Posts
I'm interested, but do we have to sign up for Telegram? That's a little suspicious, as I've never heard of it. What kind of query should I send it?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-14-19, 11:31 AM
elpedaleur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes indeed runs on Telegram, which is a messaging app similar to WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger. Because Telegram has a more open system it allows for bots to be build which can respond questions, in contrast to WhatsApp. The bot works quite intuitive when you question it. For example if you give a location (either by gps or by typing in a location) it will return the info as presented on the screenshot. Anyway, if you try it and run in to problems let me know and Ill help.
Old 04-14-19, 12:42 PM
Daniel4

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I think some people, me included, have become too reliant on data to make simple decisions.

I also check the hourly weather forecasts and the hourly temperatures when I could easily go outside to check.

And besides, regardless if I check outside or online, it won't tell me what the exact conditions will be 18km away an hour from now. So you might as well bring gear in preparation to put on or strip off.
Old 04-21-19, 11:15 AM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool!

I use an iPhone 8 and there's no good way to have the weather display on the lock screen. I like to see the rain radar over the next hours ... can you incorporate rain radar (like the Storm Radar app)? The graph seems to be a reasonable alternative. Will the hour buttons show rain forecast updates?

This is working great now that I have the hang of it, sharing location, keyboard button, etc.
Old 05-04-19, 01:49 PM
ValentinaSmit
ValentinaSmit

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you try to join and use info