Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

2014 Weight Lifting!!!!

Old 04-25-19, 05:23 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
I also have very wide feet, so there are not many options for good weight lifting shoes for me - I might be able to wear Converse All-Stars if I removed my pinkie toes.
I don't have super wide feet, they're kind of in between, but I do have wide toes. I dealt with skate shoes for a long time, but a couple of years ago, I found Merrell Trail Glove 4 shoes. They are hands down the most comfortable shoes that I've worn. They are a "barefoot" shoe, ideal for weight lifting, and the toe area has heaps of room. I don't think I will ever be without a pair now
Old 04-28-19, 08:18 PM
ToddTheBod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Something else to consider for anyone looking to gain weight, is that your training should also reflect this desire to gain weight. Eating at a caloric surplus, even if it's pretty clean, and not doing work that will stimulate a lot of hypertrophy, means you won't gain much muscle.

Hypertrophy work is more often than not a lot of volume. Look at traditional bodybuilding routines or early season PL/WL stuff. You'll likely see lots of sets of 10.

There's not anything magical about sets of 10, but it's a nice sweetspot that let's you build up a decent amount of fatigue, which is the driver for hypertrophy, without having your CNS fatigue tap out first. Studies have shown you can get just as much hypertrophy from any set/rep scheme, as long as the fatigue is the same. Building up a lot of muscular fatigue with heavy singles is just way too taxing (look up the Bulgarian weightlifting program from Ivan Abajiev if you want to see what volume made up of only max attempts looks like...we are talking max front squat, snatch, and clean and jerk *every day* indefinitely)

So if you gotta accumulate fatigue and volume from gym work, this will most definitely interfere with on the bike work, which means it's something best left for the off-season or base season.

Nothing stops you from doing a volume heavy gym session once a week in season, but it definitely has the potential take away from whatever you're doing in season.

Also worth considering that lots of volume gym work is really a lot of moving pretty slowly, which is teaching your muscles to contract slowly, which is very much not like pedaling at 120 or 140 RPM. It's also important you take the new muscle you gain and transform it into speed later. Hopefully this would be addressed through proper periodization.
Old 05-04-19, 08:01 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2812 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 54 Posts
Hurrah! Set a new milestone last night. Pressed the complete stack on the pec deck for reps and multiple sets. Last year that was just a dream, but last night it actually came true.

Nothing to write home about in normal weightlifting world (in fact its pretty unremarkable), but in my training routine, its an occasion for celebration.

Of course anybody can have a strong day. So the real test would be to repeat it during my next and subsequent sessions. Will have to wait until next week to see what happens. So for now, TBC.

In other news, shoulder press is holding steady. No stronger, but no weaker either. I have however, be able to increase my range of motion (ROM) even if by only a few degree. Before, a simple vertical deflection of 5 degrees gave me excruciating pain. Last night it was just mildly irritating. But again, its consistency that is the true teller of progress. Train safely.
Old 05-07-19, 11:06 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Hurrah! Set a new milestone last night. Pressed the complete stack on the pec deck for reps and multiple sets. Last year that was just a dream, but last night it actually came true.

Nothing to write home about in normal weightlifting world (in fact its pretty unremarkable), but in my training routine, its an occasion for celebration.

Of course anybody can have a strong day. So the real test would be to repeat it during my next and subsequent sessions. Will have to wait until next week to see what happens. So for now, TBC.

In other news, shoulder press is holding steady. No stronger, but no weaker either. I have however, be able to increase my range of motion (ROM) even if by only a few degree. Before, a simple vertical deflection of 5 degrees gave me excruciating pain. Last night it was just mildly irritating. But again, its consistency that is the true teller of progress. Train safely.
That's awesome.

Don't discount yourself! Progress is progress. Stronger is stronger.
Old 05-07-19, 12:13 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2812 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
That's awesome.

Don't discount yourself! Progress is progress. Stronger is stronger.
Thanks, I really appreciate that.

I felt all warm and fuzzy last week after making that lift. You train and train with no results and think that its never going to happen (especially as we get older), then one day BAM! You move up to the next level and have to check the machine. LOL, I checked 3 times to make sure I saw what I saw.

I've been experimenting with protein supplement amounts (after seeing some controversy on a couple of youtube videos). I added another 3 scoops(75gm)/day. Although at 28$ per bucket not sure I can keep that up for long, but we'll see.

On the other hand, I've also been getting an extra hour of sleep as well, after checking with my health care practitioner. So it could be that, or a combination of the two. The limited sleep might not effect you in routine daily activities, but it can have a big impact in weight training, and to a lesser extent, aerobic exercise.
Old 05-07-19, 12:23 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lack of sufficient sleep can definitely stall progress and even lead to regression. On the meso and micro level, meaning systematic lack of sufficient sleep and even poor sleep the night before heavy lifting.