Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

SRAM s300 + GXP bottom bracket on 2014/15 Dolan Pre Cursa?

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

SRAM s300 + GXP bottom bracket on 2014/15 Dolan Pre Cursa?

Old 05-13-19, 05:25 AM
  #1  
personwithabike
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SRAM s300 + GXP bottom bracket on 2014/15 Dolan Pre Cursa?

I emailed Dolan asking them to date my bike (just bought used recently) and they reckon its 2014/15, which has the wider chain stay issue basically rendering SRAM to be incompatible unless using a longer axle in the bottom bracket.

I want to install SRAM s300 but I doubt I can use the GXP bottom bracket that comes with it - irritatingly enough... Was wondering what bottom bracket I should go for?

Has anyone had any luck with this? How can i solve this issue? Any other recommendations for cranksets around the 100 mark?
personwithabike is offline  
Old 05-13-19, 08:03 AM
  #2  
seau grateau
Senior Member
 
seau grateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: PHL
Posts: 9,611

Bikes: Litespeed, IRO

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 46 Posts
The axle on those cranks is attached to the crank arm, so you can't go longer by using a different bottom bracket. S300 would probably work fine. The issue with SRAM cranks that causes clearance issues on some frames is the Omniums having thicker than average spider arms, and the S300 is much less beefy in that dept, as well as being 130bcd, so the spider arms are also shorter. I've never heard of S300s having clearance problems on any frames.
seau grateau is offline  
Old 05-13-19, 08:19 AM
  #3  
50voltphantom
Senior Member
 
50voltphantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SD
Posts: 2,662

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just chiming in to say S300's are great cranks for the $. Just be prepared to drill out the factory chainring bolts if you ever decide to change gears. SRAM loctites the crap out of them. Other than that they run quiet, easy to work on, etc.
50voltphantom is offline  
Old 05-13-19, 03:04 PM
  #4  
personwithabike
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
The axle on those cranks is attached to the crank arm, so you can't go longer by using a different bottom bracket. S300 would probably work fine. The issue with SRAM cranks that causes clearance issues on some frames is the Omniums having thicker than average spider arms, and the S300 is much less beefy in that dept, as well as being 130bcd, so the spider arms are also shorter. I've never heard of S300s having clearance problems on any frames.
would i have issues with a 144bcd crankset? im thinking of going for the andels with a 110mm bb.
personwithabike is offline  
Old 05-13-19, 04:24 PM
  #5  
seau grateau
Senior Member
 
seau grateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: PHL
Posts: 9,611

Bikes: Litespeed, IRO

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by personwithabike View Post
would i have issues with a 144bcd crankset? im thinking of going for the andels with a 110mm bb.
It'll probably be fine. Track frames are made to be used with track components. The frame clearance issues that people report with SRAM Omniums are the exception, not the rule. I've used the same set of Omniums on three different frames, one of which was a Pre Cursa, and never ran into a single problem.
seau grateau is offline  
Old 05-14-19, 02:12 AM
  #6  
personwithabike
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
It'll probably be fine. Track frames are made to be used with track components. The frame clearance issues that people report with SRAM Omniums are the exception, not the rule. I've used the same set of Omniums on three different frames, one of which was a Pre Cursa, and never ran into a single problem.
im gonna go with the andels and let the LBS deal with bottom bracket stuff.
personwithabike is offline  
Old 05-22-19, 02:17 PM
  #7  
Huddybear60
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom View Post
Just be prepared to drill out the factory chainring bolts if you ever decide to change gears. SRAM loctites the crap out of them..
Be wary of drilling them out. My LBS spent six hours are burned through three drill bits getting out the bolts. They only got three of them out and the drill bits had to be big enough to get through the bolt and it started to chew the spider. Now I have a s300 and bottom bracket with only two bolts left, a really funky looking paperweight.
Huddybear60 is offline  
Old 05-23-19, 07:26 AM
  #8  
50voltphantom
Senior Member
 
50voltphantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SD
Posts: 2,662

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Huh. I had my dad do it and he said it took him 10 minutes with a drill press. I couldn't find a mark anywhere on the crank when he was done.
50voltphantom is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
skijor
Foo
0
10-24-10 08:36 AM
Deeptaughts
Introductions
1
03-30-09 02:05 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.