Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

How do I transfer year of cycling to STRAVA?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 05-25-19, 10:21 AM
PastorJim

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Schwinn Sidewinder 26" Men's (SRAM Max Pro) & Trident TW Bents

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently started using Strava and love it. I previously used DailyMile for logging publically which no longer exists. I was able to save my rides but they are in CSV format, also in km and not miles. Can I download that to Strava? Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-25-19, 11:33 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
On manual uploads, Strava will only accept .TCX, .GPX or .FIT files. You would have to enter each ride separately. If your bike computer or phone cycling app allows automatic uploads to Strava after a ride is completed, you can do it that way and not worry about adding your rides manually.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-25-19, 01:22 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
There are lots of online file format converters - CSV to GPX or TCX.

Seems like lots of work.
Old 05-27-19, 12:14 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
It'll work with file format converters but some data will be missing. Notably time stamps. Occasionally when Strava and/or Wahoo Fitness apps failed, I've fallen back on Google maps timeline data to recreate the ride for Strava. It sorta works but lacks the time stamps for segment times. But it does recreate the total route pretty well.

For this to work you'd need to enable Google maps timeline to track your activities by default. I've done this all along with my Android phone so I'll have some backup evidence in case something happens and I'm unconscious and can't remember what happened or where it happened.

That was useful last year when I was hit by a car. I didn't lose consciousness but it did confirm my version of events. And Google maps timeline also records all of my locations so I have a tamper-proof diary of my many medical appointments related to the injury. Very handy because I don't always remember to manually enter notes in my journal, especially on bad days or when I was in the hospital.

Google data can be downloaded and edited, but the original data recorded and stored by Google cannot be tampered with by users. We can delete it entirely, but not tamper with the original data file. So that may be admissible in court if necessary.

Google maps timeline tracking can be set to private by default. Only you, Google, the NSA and every hacker in Russia and China will know. That's about as private as data gets nowadays. We can choose to make our activities public but I don't.