Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Jeans' blowing out the crotch

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 05-20-19, 11:14 AM
trailz 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It takes a while, but it eventually happens. My jeans, Levi 514 (I think) are getting the typical pattern of holes near the crotch stitching that comes from bike riding. I need to either patch the crotch or replace the pair. Given the fabric is getting soft and thin in the area, patching seems unrealistic.

What pair of jeans have you had good luck with holding together for bike riding? Hopefully, some budget-conscious options come up.
Old 05-22-19, 04:28 AM
FBOATSB 

Bikes: Old Schwinns

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
https://www.gusset.com
Old 05-22-19, 02:50 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 44 Posts
Levis are garbage now. Anything but Levis will do.

I don't believe the CEO thinks you should actually WASH them.

Marcia Brady rode a ROLLFAST!

Last edited by Rollfast; 05-22-19 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-23-19, 05:07 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 3499 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'm a bit overweight and I never bike in jeans as they are way too hot and sweaty. Plus I find them stiff and that they restrict movement.
I actually think it is more "budget conscious" to get sports clothing designed for cycling, or even some casual clothes that are specifically designed for cycling eg. https://hiconsumption.com/2015/09/be...commute-pants/, because they won't wear out as fast.
Old 05-25-19, 02:23 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 50 Posts
Jeans will inevitably wear out in areas with a lot of contact. Ones with a tiny bit of spandex will flex a bit more, which can promote longer life.
Old 05-26-19, 07:31 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 44 Posts
I go to Bi-Mart and get Key or Rustler. I wear a pair of polyesther slacks cut and sewed as shorts most the of the good weather season anyway.

Marcia Brady rode a ROLLFAST!
Old 05-26-19, 09:26 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6833 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 176 Posts
sweatpants , unlike woven denim, the knit fabric gives .. Polyester really long wearing ...

Old and fat, not young and slim ..
Old 05-31-19, 03:43 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 2012 MEC Silhouette hybrid; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I reinforce jeans with a layer of fabric on the inside, and zigzag stitch around the edges. Machine darning, basically just sewing lines across the worn areas and into less worn fabric nearby, can help hold things together for a little while longer. Or you can do the same thing by hand, like the Japanese sashiko mending/quilting technique.

Check out some of the YouTube videos on visible mending too - that's having quite a moment in the sewing and textile world.
Old 06-27-19, 12:32 PM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used Levi Commuter jeans for a long time and they hold up well. They are also stretchy and have reflective cuffs which is nice but even they eventually wear through and Levis does not stand behind their products.

These days, I buy from brands like Prana, North Face, Patagonia, or other hiking brands that make normal looking clothes. These tend to be better made, last longer, more stretchy, and better breathing. They can also be more expensive but if you wait for what you want to popup on Steep and Cheap, such as these Prana Jeans on sale for $39 right now, then it's very affordable. https://www.steepandcheap.com/prana-...NhdDExMDAwMjY= Also, these brands stand behind their product so if/when the crotch does wear out, I return them and get a brand new pair with no questions asked. Rei is a good place to try on the brands as well if you have one near you.
Old 07-03-19, 10:47 AM
Gromax
Vroom I'm a car

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Find a friend who knows how to sew, and sweet talk them into sewing a fabric patch on the inside of the jeans. If you pick an exciting fabric, it'll make your jeans (and crotch) look better than ever! The Japanese call this repair philosophy Kintsugi. It seems I don't have enough points to post pictures or links, so you'll have to use your imagination I guess.
Old 07-06-19, 07:03 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I have not owned blue jeans since the '80s. Recently I changed jobs and need 4 pair (at least) so I picked them up at American Eagle Outfitters. I always hated the stiffness of jeans and cycling in them was out of the question. To my surprise, the stretch (elastic?) built into the cotton weave makes the jeans feel like I am wearing NOTHING. I mean they are super comfy. No doubt the seam in the crotch could be an issue, but if you like wearing jeans I can see how you would adore these. I could wear them as pajamas or doing gymnastics. The spot in the crotch where the four seams meet is pretty flat! If you have a bike saddle with a cutout I can't see how that seam would be a problem.

On the tag it says "Extreme Flex 4". You should try them.

As far as how they wear due to rubbing on a saddle I have no clue. As I recall they were pretty cheap and always "Buy 1, get the 2nd pair 50% off. This is how I ended up with 4 jeans.

FYI, I have cycled to work in them but it is only one mile each way. They felt great for that short distance.

Cheers.
Old 07-06-19, 09:30 PM
Teamdarb

Bikes: 94' Barracuda A2M, 83 Ross 294 signature, 93 MB3, '87 BS 300 mixte, '86 420, '12 Trek 520, 92 720 and more

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Levi worn by Brooks Saddle. Washing in a top loading machine just increases wear.
All I can honestly say is to get use to buying jeans from a secondhand shop. I realize those without street smarts may think that sounds dumb, but check this out: many second hand shops sell brand new "work" or "flex" jean and khaki pant. These tend to be a raw jean and thick mill made to be worn in. I live on my bike. Standard jeans may last a month depending on material thickness. Tip: when buying jeans and khaki to ride in make sure the seams are finished inside or the crotch will blow out asap. It is amazing how many pant makers do not finish the interior. Skip cycling specific clothing.... they do not last longer, period. Well, unless they are made with the "mess life" seal of approval. That generally puts the price way up due to the tactical and industrial like materials being used.

Another huge tip to reduce the wear.... make sure your saddle is positioned so that you are further back on it and not down in the center or along the snout. Saddle width in the middle matters too. I have gone through a number of saddles over the years. I am five foot four inches, narrow 28 waist, but huge thighs from cycling so much. I rode a custom carbon saddle for many years as it was the most narrow and short snout. Then recently picked up a Brooks Professional S. I am able to position myself way back on it and not move around much. I have also tied the saddle sides. I attached a photo of the wear on a pair of throwback Levi commuters. Another tip: Yes, do not wash your jeans. Simply hose or rinse with Cold water. The cold water neutralizes the smell, same as when cleaning onion or garlic smell from your hands. The rolling around in the wash is just more friction added increasing wear and reducing fiber bounding.

A surprising long lasting pair of pant for me has been either a Golf and Jockey specific or marketed product.
Old 07-09-19, 10:31 PM
carbohydrates

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prana Brion pants.

They are $80 full price, go on sale often, and a pair lasts me over a year of very rough use.