Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Review/Check My Build - Low-Trail Soma Fog Cutter

Old 02-17-19, 05:19 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite, 2007 Spec. Roubaix Elite, 2003 Spec. Big Hit 2, 1998 VooDoo Zobop, 1985 Trek 410, 1984 Trek 620

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by perspiration View Post
You are correct...that one is just a placeholder in the spreadsheet for now as we try to figure out alternatives to get to a 40/26 gearing. Maybe a custom crank.

Was a bit bummed to go mechanical discs instead of hydraulic but holy ****, hydraulic shifter levers are expensive.
I agree with your drive train concept. FYI - SRAM has MTB double cranks in 40-28 or 39-26 with various BB options (except square taper) that are affordable. Shimano and others have similar set-ups. I also suggest that if you are not going to use brifters that you consider indexed bar ends or DT shifters - trying to friction-shift a 10 speed (or more) cassette could be a challenge due to close spacing. There are some on BF who find this not to be a problem, but I am a little biased because I use a 10 speed indexed DT shifter and love it - no fishing for gears just a simple click-click-click.

Also, the Pacenti Brevet 650b is a good rim - I have 1200 miles on a set of wheels that use this rim - still true and round.
Old 02-17-19, 09:20 PM
perspiration
already soaked

Bikes: 2011 Surly Crosscheck, 2014 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll ask the bike shop about the tail light. That sucks about the unneeded hole drilled there....HMMM!

Thanks for all the suggestions, this was my first time through this process and I learned a metric ****load with all your help
Old 02-18-19, 09:03 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll ask the bike shop about the tail light. That sucks about the unneeded hole drilled there....HMMM!
Tell them that you expect that they will put the taillight in the correct place on the replacement fender that they install. You should not be expected to accept a brand new fender at brand new price that has cosmetic defects. And a couple holes in the wrong place is a pretty serious cosmetic defect.

When the shop has to eat the price of the fender, every mechanic in that shop will learn the lesson that you have to aim taillights properly.

I saved about $100 USD on my expedition bike frame by buying a cosmetic second. But the dent in the frame was so minor that it took me five minutes to find the defect.
Old 02-18-19, 10:14 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
Tell them that you expect that they will put the taillight in the correct place on the replacement fender that they install...
Totally up to you on how you want to deal with the shop, but I'd just have them move the light to the right location on the fender and cover the holes with a sticker. I have that same light on two bikes and use HVAC foil tape on the inside of the fender to hold the wires in place so the extra holes in the fender would have no effect on the functionality of the fender. Of course that's easy for me to say. I would have installed the fenders myself so would only have myself to blame if something was screwed up. There are several things I would have done differently on that fender installation.
Old 02-19-19, 12:37 PM
perspiration
already soaked

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
Totally up to you on how you want to deal with the shop, but I'd just have them move the light to the right location on the fender and cover the holes with a sticker. I have that same light on two bikes and use HVAC foil tape on the inside of the fender to hold the wires in place so the extra holes in the fender would have no effect on the functionality of the fender. Of course that's easy for me to say. I would have installed the fenders myself so would only have myself to blame if something was screwed up. There are several things I would have done differently on that fender installation.
Having ridden the bike a bit now I don't have much of an issue with the functionality of the fenders, but the mud flaps will be going on very soon. Not to make my fenders "How Kingston Woulda Done It" but is there anything here that's not preference but actually sub-optimal installation methods? One thing I see is the stays on the rear fender going to the higher eyelet rather than the one by the axle.

*edit* - For reference I have installed a few fenders myself but always done a pretty basic job, so these are my first real fancy fenders with real fancy attachments etc.
Old 02-19-19, 01:30 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite, 2007 Spec. Roubaix Elite, 2003 Spec. Big Hit 2, 1998 VooDoo Zobop, 1985 Trek 410, 1984 Trek 620

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Having ridden the bike a bit now I don't have much of an issue with the functionality of the fenders, but the mud flaps will be going on very soon. Not to make my fenders "How Kingston Woulda Done It" but is there anything here that's not preference but actually sub-optimal installation methods? One thing I see is the stays on the rear fender going to the higher eyelet rather than the one by the axle.

*edit* - For reference I have installed a few fenders myself but always done a pretty basic job, so these are my first real fancy fenders with real fancy attachments etc.
Great looking bike! I like the red-silver-black combo.

I agree that the rear fender stay looks a little different, but does it really effect functionality?

How do you like the feel and flavor of this bike? I've been interested in the Fog Cutter frame for awhile. Do you notice any frame flex or does it feel stout?
Old 02-19-19, 01:39 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

The bike looks awesome and other than the light, there is nothing sub-optimal about the functionality of the way they installed the fenders. The only reason I mentioned anything is in case you decide to have the rear fender replaced, I think it would look better if they used the lower eyelet for the rear fender stay and kept it parallel to the chainstay like it is. I also prefer to have my front stay to line up with the bottom bracket. Obviously nothing wrong with where you have it.
Old 02-19-19, 01:59 PM
perspiration
already soaked

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool, thanks guys. The shop is gonna do right on the rear fender and correct installation with a new rear fender, which is nice of them. I wouldn't have minded putting a sticker over it, but for the price....it should be done right.

Originally Posted by jlaw View Post
How do you like the feel and flavor of this bike? I've been interested in the Fog Cutter frame for awhile. Do you notice any frame flex or does it feel stout?
I'm still trying to get more miles on it, commuted in this morning with a backpack on. Compared to my Cross Check, I can definitely tell there's a difference on the low trail side - it's like the bike doesn't "intuitively" turn by hip-checking at low speeds. I have to sort of consciously turn the handlebars, right now at least. I think this is what folks say when they talk about it being stable at low speeds, but there's some difference here in handling that I'm still trying to figure out. It feels sort of like a nimble touring bike up until 17-18mph, and then it becomes quite lively. It accelerates quickly and holds up strongly to me standing and pedaling on it. I'm not so sure about "planing" but climbing the big hill this morning felt easier than on my Cross Check. The fat tires at 40psi are a godspend after my Schwalbe 32s at 90 psi. The 40/26 cranks with 11-32 cassette seems just right for now. Haven't had to use the bailout gear yet, which is good. I don't regret the extra money on the hydraulic brakes whatsoever, they feel amazing and will only get better as they break in a bit. Still not sure about the Cambium seat but there's some fitment left to be done overall, so jury's out. It seems comfortable but sort of pinches a sitbone at certain angles.

Overall I'm quite happy with it and will report back after some longer rides. It is gorgeous and I can't wait to cut the stem down so it finally looks complete
Old 02-19-19, 02:48 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

...The 40/26 cranks with 11-32 cassette seems just right for now...
So those sugino chainrings work with your 11 speed chain? Good to know. I thought the were only good up to 9 speeds.
Old 02-19-19, 02:52 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWIW I couldn't really handle the cambium and I gave it way too much time before giving up on. It doesn't get any better with time in my experience.
Old 06-09-19, 07:50 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
@perspiration

Any update on the build? How are you liking the bike?