Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Blogger's Forum
Reload this Page >

Locolobo's Rides

Blogger's Forum Whether it's a cycling blog, or just your personal page, this is the place to share ideas and links.

Locolobo's Rides

Old 05-27-19, 02:25 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Locolobo's Rides

My previous blog, "Riding Phoenix Metro", https://www.bikeforums.net/blogger-s...etro-area.html pretty much ended when flickr was bought by smugmug. Under Yahoo! free users had 1TB of space for their photos. Smugmug cut that to 1000 photos. Not complaining but I can't post photos anymore to flickr without deleting more than 2800 photos. So far flickr hasn't deleted them so I've left the previous blog and my flickr photostream alone. Que será.

This blog is not going to be restricted to Phoenix Metro. Which is 99.9% of my rides. It may or may not include some commutes. As the previous blog this is mostly going to be a photo blog. Cause I like to take photos.

My work life has changed. Previously my job was 5 mi from my home in Central Phoenix. The job near downtown Phoenix. Very pleasant commute and about the right distance for me.

Starting last week my commute is now 25 mi to Chandler. We've been busy moving out of Phoenix to Chandler for the last few months. Thursday and Friday were my first two commutes to Chandler. I rode the light rail from near my house to McClintock Rd in Tempe. Then an 8 mi ride to work along McClintock. It's not working so well.

First my 29er doesn't fit the bike rack on the train well. If it's the only bike on the rack I can make it. But there are more bikes nowadays. So the evening commute involves a lot of standing and moving my bike out of people's way. Second the train ride is 1 hr each way. That doesn't include riding to and from the station and waiting for the train. The total time each way is 2 hrs.

The next option is to drive to a park and ride then ride the bike in. I will do that next week. The long term solution is probably going to be to carpool with my QA officer. She lives about 3 mi from my house. We've discussed it and it looks like it will work. But now I have to figure out how to get my miles in after work. Enough of my problems. Let's get riding.
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 05-27-19, 02:30 PM
locolobo13 

South Mountain to Sky Harbor

Yesterday, 5/26/2019, I rode to Dobbins Lookout on South Mountain. Then to Sky Harbor. Finished up by riding to Tempe Town Lake, then home via the Grand Canal.

The Strava is here: https://www.strava.com/activities/2400084411

My pix are here: https://imgur.com/user/locolobo13

Typical start, for me, get up at 5am, ride to McDs, then to QT for tea, then head south. I followed 5th Ave south to downtown Phoenix. Then Central Ave to South Mountain Park. Stopped at the Ranger Station at South Mountain Park.

South Mountain Park is one of the largest parks in North America. There are miles of trails available for hiking and biking. I'm not a great trail rider and stayed on the pavement this time. Every 4th Sunday is "Silent Sunday". They close a majority of the paved roads in the park to motor vehicles. Making it a very popular pastime for bikers to ride up the hill. Then zoom back down. For more info on the park go here: https://www.phoenix.gov/parks/trails...south-mountain

From the Ranger Station it is 1.4 mi, 200ft to San Juan & Summit Road Parking Lot. Now the climbing starts. Mentally I break it down into segments, Telegraph Pass (1.9 mi, 417ft), Dobbins Lookout (3.8mi, 801ft). Dobbins Lookout isn't the top. For that follow the signs to Gila Valley Lookout (5.6 mi, 1076ft). I only rode to Dobbins Lookout. Below are some pix.

Telegraph Pass

Dobbins Lookout

Sierra Estrellas from Dobbins Lookout

Telegraph Pass

The view from Dobbins Lookout is great. You can really see the metro area and surrounding mountains. There was an orange cone in one of the windows. I walked my bike down to the building intending to take a shot of the bike and lookout together. Turns out it said, "Cautious, rattlesnake in the area". I looked down and sure enough about 3 ft from my foot is a small rattler, less than 18 inches long.

I dithered. I wanted to shoot it with the bigger lens. By the time I got it out of the bag the snake was half way between some rocks in the wall. As I watched it completely entered the wall. The walls were a couple of feet thick. The snake was not visible from either inside or out. Sorry about that. Lesson learned: Use what you got.

Of course the ride back down the hill is a blast. Even if I chicken out and use the brakes from time to time. I think the really skilled roadies are bombing down the hill at close to 40mph. Maybe faster. Not me. At my age the bones don't mend as fast.

Back in the city I followed the Highline Canal Trail to 24th St. Then to Best Donuts at Baseline Rd for an apple fritter. Breakfast may be the most important meal but brunch is funner!

From there it was north on 24th St to the Salt River. Then east along the Rio Salado Pathway to Sky Harbor Airport to shoot some aircraft.

After shooting aircraft it was time for lunch. Then east to Tempe Town Lake. From there it is an easy jump to the Grand Canal. Then follow that almost all the way home. I did stop to take some more aircraft shots. Also some bike shots and a turtle who promptly dove under after the 2nd shot.

It was almost 2pm when I got home. Spent a lot of time shooting pix. Enjoyable day.

50.1 mi
about 5 hrs riding time
Old 06-01-19, 10:44 AM
locolobo13 

Still figuring out the new commute

Last week was my first full week at the new location in Chandler. My plan was to drive to a park and ride then ride in. The riding distance is about 7.5 mi. There are closer park and rides but I like the 15 mi day. But Tuesday I screwed up.

I often hang my glasses from my shirt. I need them for distance but they are not so good within 10ft. They are progressives and I have a heck of a time getting my head at the right angle for closer objects. Easier to take them off.

While closing the tailgate on my pickup they fell into the gate. The mechanism was jammed. Fortunately I have a spare pair. But I drove all the way to work. While there I googled how to unjam the tailgate. The glasses were bent but still usable.

The rest of the week went according to plan. Drove to the park and ride then ride into work. Riding in was fun. The wind patterns are slightly different in Chandler than in Central Phoenix. It almost seemed as if I had a slight tailwind both afternoon and afternoon. Not really but there was none of the turning west into a strong headwind in the afternoon I usually get.

This week I parked in back under the canopy. The afternoon sun is making my grips feel soft. Talking to my boss he gave me permission to park the bike in the storage room. Next week. Here's a couple of shots of parking from last week.

Old 06-02-19, 06:43 PM
locolobo13 

Indian Bend Wash Loop

This morning, 6/2/2019, I followed the Indian Bend Wash Trail south to north. Here's the Strava. https://www.strava.com/activities/2418653897

To get there I followed the Grand Canal to Tempe Town Lake.

3rd Ave Bridge

Bridge near 36th St

Train Graffiti

Mill Ave Bridge

Then east on the north side to Indian Bend Wash. The path on the north side of the lake just naturally curves into Indian Bend Wash. I got off at Thomas Rd for brunch.

Hmmm, donuts

Indian Bend Wash is part of the "Greenbelt". Looking at it on the maps you can see why. There is always water running along here from Indian Bend Road to Tempe Town Lake. The golf courses further northwest along the wash have small lakes or running water as well. BTW don't drink the water.

Between East Via de Ventura and a little south of Shea Blvd I don't think there is an Indian Bend Wash Path or Trail. The trail starts up again near Shea Blvd and 52nd St. There are some new signs along the trail.

New Sign

I got on it here and continued northwest. The signs are nice. Kept me off the golf course. Part of it goes thru the Stone Creek Golf Club. At one point the trail crosses right in front of the tee box. Watch out for people teeing up.

The signs took me to Venturoso Park and dumped me out front at 32nd St and Acoma Dr. No idea whether the trail goes any further from here. Looking at the satellite view the wash appears to end about there.

From Venturoso Park I worked my way to Greenway Pkwy and Cave Creek Road. The Cave Creek Tributary Trail begins here. Ride west. One thing to note, the trail is on the south side of Greenway Pkwy. It is a nice wide concrete path, read big sidewalk. But riding west you are essentially "salmoning". Take the appropriate precautions. Especially watch out for people from the south turning right or east on Greenway Pkwy. There was some water in spots along the wash. I got off at 7th St for lunch.

Cave Creek Tributary

Found this guy hiding in the tansies near 3rd Ave.

Got home around 1 PM. Here's a closeup of my "new" U-lock carrier. One pannier takes less space hauling the bike during my commute. This system makes the U-lock easier to access. And yes, it's just some spare pvc, electrical tape and zip ties.

51.7 mi
about 4.5 hrs riding time
Old 06-09-19, 08:55 PM
locolobo13 

Commuting News

I'm parking my bike in the storage room now.

The grips were feeling "sticky" in the sun. So I talked to my boss and he said OK.

Tuesday I rode to Desert Breeze Park for lunch.

Getting used to driving 19 mi before riding to work. Gotta figure out how to incorporate walking into my day. At our previous location I walked 1.5-2 mi/day as part of the job. Now that we're in 1 building again that's gone. Probably going to go for a walk at lunch.
Old 06-09-19, 09:16 PM
locolobo13 

Westside Canal Loop

This is a favorite route for me. Started out around 5:20 am. Here's the Strava.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2437372658

After breakfast I got on the Grand Canal near home and rode to the New River Trail.

Old Gantry

Queen Butterfly at the Glendale Regional Heroes Park

Crane at the junction of the Grand Canal and the New River Trail

North on the New River Trail to the Arizona Canal.

New River Trail between Bethany Home Rd and Glendale Rd

Bee in the Sunflower

This is why we can't have good stuff. This is fairly new. All the tools are gone as well as the fitting on the end of the hose.

Agave near Thunderbird Rd

I got off at Thunderbird Rd to ride to Dunkin Donuts. It's warm but not too warm to sit outside sipping coffee, eating a donut in the shade.

Then I followed the Arizona Canal to 25th Ave.

Shady spot

Goathead. These are getting prevalent around here.

Nightshade. Very pretty flower. Lots of them along the bottoms.

From 25th Ave and the Arizona Canal I worked over to 23rd Ave and headed south towards home. Stopping for a burger for lunch.

40.8 mi
about 4 hrs 10 min riding time
Old 06-23-19, 04:03 PM
locolobo13 

Paradise Valley Loop

Rode a loop to Paradise Valley this morning. Here's the Strava.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2474775162

After breakfast I got on the Grand Canal near at 3rd Ave. Getting off at Campbell Ave near 12th St. Then east to 32nd St.

Crossing the 51 Fwy

The Arizona Canal

Turned east at Lincoln Dr. North at 36th St. Tried to climb to the trailhead. Had to push the bike up the last quarter mile.

36th St Entrance

View of the city from the trailhead

The ride back down to Lincoln Dr was fun. Then east to Desert Fairways Dr. There is a bike route on google maps that I followed to 52nd St & Shea Blvd.

Looking back at Camelback Mountain

Stopped just north of Shea Blvd for a break.

Snakeskin

Nightshade

Rest Stop

Then I headed to Rainbow Donuts at 40th St & Thunderbird Rd. Their apple fritters are always good. Then to the Dreamy Draw Bikeway and home.

Pedestrian Bridge along the Dreamy Draw

34.5 mi
about 3 hrs 15 min riding time
Likes For locolobo13: