Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Wahoo App problems

Old 06-11-19, 03:09 PM
dynawolf

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, Trek Superfly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wahoo App problems

I have been a big fan of Wahoo fitness and used their products and applications for years.

They recently upgraded/ revised the iPhone app and now I no longer get speed readings. My iPhone displays an "N/A" for speed but shows distance, so I know the sensor is functioning.

I submitted a ticket and it has been a couple of weeks. They have asked for logs, but no solution.

Is this happening to anyone else?
Old 06-11-19, 03:16 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I've heard some grumblings r e d d i t about problems with the latest app and/or firmware updates but I haven't had any problems, but I have an Android.

Well, I take that back -- my HRM wouldn't sync the other day. But then later it worked just fine. That's happened before, maybe once or twice in two years. If it happens again I'll contact support.
Old 06-11-19, 06:05 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yup, lots of complaints since the recent update, which was a downgrade in reliability. Wahoo Fitness used to be the most reliable activity app I used. Now it's too glitchy. I have to run Strava simultaneously, hoping to get one complete log.

It's worse when I use my Wahoo Tickr. If I switch from my Android to iPhone -- because now they won't share the same Tickr -- it takes about five minutes to reset all the preferences.

Check to be sure GPS is enabled. Lately when I re-open Wahoo Fitness on either phone, especially the iPhone, the GPS defaults back to "off". That prevents tracking speed and distance.

If I try to set GPS and Bluetooth on to be sure the Tickr works, the app may run for awhile, then it'll crash and lose the entire log. It's worst on the iPhone.

So for now I'm having to carry both the Android and iPhone to be sure I get one good log, and usually set the iPhone to record Tickr only, and the Android phone to record a regular Strava log. PITA.
Old 06-22-19, 03:50 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
I accidentally updated the Wahoo Fitness app on my iphone. Since that time I've lost over half the workouts I've attempted to use it for. Just today I used it and my RFLKT+ showed that I rode 36 miles. The phone showed I never started that workout.

Funny thing, I was thinking of upgrading the RFLKT+ to a ELEMNT Mini, but them screwing up this app changed that. My Garmin 130 should be here next week.
Old 07-24-19, 09:35 PM
Lightning Fan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought two new Wahoo Cadence and Speed sensors. I can see that both sensors are connected, and both report numbers when you look at them in the Sensor menu. But the Speed only shows up as N/A. I can get Cadence to work. iPhone 6S, iOS 12.3.1
Beginning to regret this purchase. I'll call them tomorrow.
If there is some secret sauce here, please let me know ... I've turned everything off and on, forgotten sensors, re-paired, reloaded the app ... no change. I get cadence, but N/A for speed. Distance is working and again, I see speed in the sensor info when I spin the wheel, so the sensor is working ... it just just does not show up in the app. Yes, in the Cycling profile the speed and cadence sensors are selected.
I think the app is the problem.
Old 07-26-19, 02:29 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

@Lightning Fan: Recently the Wahoo Fitness app has been finicky with the older speed and cadence sensors for my iPhone 4s. To get the app to recognize them I have to repeat this ritual every time:
  • Be sure Bluetooth is enabled on the iPhone settings page.
  • Open the Wahoo Fitness app.
  • Tap on the sensors icon.
  • Tap on the speed/cadence sensors icon.
  • Navigate to the page of all the activities associated with the sensors. Be sure the appropriate activities are still checked (for me, it's cycling and indoor trainer). Sometimes I need to uncheck and reselect the activities.
  • Backtrack to the main menu, then start up the app and activity as usual.
  • The speed/cadence sensors are now recognized and display when I spin the crank.

PITA but it works. I only use the speed/cadence sensors with the iPhone at home, not on road rides. The iPhone battery doesn't last long enough for rides longer than an hour or so. The USB port fell apart on the ANT+ sensor case so I can't hook up an external battery to charge the device as I go. And it's too heavy and bulky for road rides anyway.

I may try a Bryton computer, which should interface with the Wahoo sensors, is much smaller and lighter than an iPhone and the battery should run much longer. Reviews are good and it costs well under $100.
Old 07-26-19, 08:05 AM
Lightning Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wahoo - Nevermore said the raven, nevermore

I contacted Wahoo service and afterwards posted the below to their contact us link. Even GPS speed does not show on the app now.

I am a new Wahoo product user, having just purchased the Cadence and Speed sensors. At the strong recommendation of one of your support people I called before i purchased these devices, I downloaded the Wahoo Fitness app. I called initially because there was so much bad feedback on the Amazon website about the products not pairing properly, and dropping out. She assured me that if i used the Wahoo app, I'd be OK.

I've spent three days trying to get the speed to display on the app without success. I did all the magic dances on the website ... forgetting sensors, re-pairing them, reloading the app, even the rub your belly and chew gum thing of putting the battery in upside down (which is ridiculous). I was sure the problem was me not using the app right, but the speed sensor was reporting speed properly when I looked at the sensor menu ... just not on the workout display.

I finally called support in defeat, expecting to hear, "Oh, you just need to turn on this button in the app", but no ... what I got was, its a known bug, and sorry about that.

It would really help if you folks could save all of us a bunch of time and pain by letting us know what bugs you know about that lead to the product not functioning. I know you get bugs which are really new feature requests, and I'm not suggesting you discuss those. But this problem ... the device is useless this way, and if you have no baseline of experience with the app, you have to assume that with Wahoo's reputation ... the problem must be that you don't know how to use the app.

In the second call in which I learned of the bug, I made this recommendation to the support person, who pushed back really hard and said no website communicates bugs. Well, that is not true -- I am an engineer in a company that makes medical devices and I can assure you, we communicate major functionality issues, and workarounds, to our customers.

So, where I stand now with Wahoo is, out of the box, it doesn't work, and the company hides behind their support team in situations where there are major functionality issues. That second call sealed up a pretty bad view of Wahoo in my mind, and it did not have to happen. All the guy had to say was, "Hey, that's a good idea, I'll pass that on." But no, he stone walled me. AND, no timeline for a fix.

Guys ... my magnet driven Catseye provides superior information, the cadence never wavers and speed always works. Those are some really basic features in a bike computer, which do not work on the product and app I purchased from you.

I no longer care about the sensors not working (people make mistakes) ... my issue now is with Wahoo's customer focus.

No response to this is requested from you.
Old 07-27-19, 03:56 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Unfortunately that's been a too-common complaint about Wahoo for years. Products with good potential, but inconsistent or indifferent customer support.

I'm not heavily invested in Wahoo doodads, so it's only a minor annoyance when I have to repeat the song and dance every time to pair the sensors and app. I got the Tickr new, which was pricey, but paid only $10-$15 for their 2012 era iPhone speed/cadence sensor kit. It does what I want for home trainer use, but I wouldn't take it on the road. There are lighter, smaller and more efficient devices than phones that pair with the same sensors.
Old 08-04-19, 08:57 PM
D3AN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started having problems with my speed sensor as well. It would read fine while riding but the summary data shows erratic speed readings throughout the ride. I just purchased a brand new speed sensor for another bike and it has the same problem. So its definitely a bug. Too bad there's no ETA on the fix.
Old 12-20-19, 05:42 PM
Wooderson

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Sorry for topping an older thread, but after working perfectly for almost two years straight and hundreds of rides, my Wahoo Fitness app stopped working this week (Android). When I launch it, crashes two seconds later. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, and it was worked fine.. until I connected my HR strap sensor, then it began crashing again. The HR strap is the same Garmin HR I've used with Wahoo Fitness since the beginning.

So maybe something in Android changed, or in the app, but either way, this stinks. I don't have time in my life to dick around with a stupid app.
Old 12-21-19, 08:00 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Did you put in a support ticket?
Old 12-21-19, 09:34 AM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
My experience with Wahoo, there is no effective support. I removed the employee name and replaced with xxxx. I get that the world is not perfect, software is complicated, and customers are a pain.
I opened a ticket on 04/23/2019 concerning:
---
Companion app version 1.16.0
My issue
Installed update. All 64 rides in history show a 1970 date.
Today's ride is Jan 14, 1970
---
Seems to me that Wahoo should provide a path to roll back to a know working version if they continue not to test updates adequately.
My LBS escalated for me with his rep, that's why there are two name in the second response.
They respond, but do not resolve. "Like last time, this ticket will be put on hold, and you will be automatically notified when the fix rolls out." (bold by me)
Still waiting for that notification.

xxxx (Wahoo Fitness Support)

May 10, 2:28 PM EDT
Hey Ken, Jon--

Apologies for the delay for the fix. Unfortunately we do not have a resolution as of yet, but our developers are working on this issue daily. It is planned to roll out quite soon, though I do not have a specific rollout date to offer as of yet. We appreciate your patience as we work to get the issue resolved. Like last time, this ticket will be put on hold, and you will be automatically notified when the fix rolls out.

Thanks,

xxxx

xxxx (Wahoo Fitness Support)

Apr 26, 10:57 AM EDT
Ken,

Thank you for letting us know about your experience. We apologize for the issue and have raised a ticket with our developers who are actively working on a fix. Though we do not currently have an exact delivery date, the problem is a priority on our road map for future app and firmware revisions.

Since we have an open ticket with our development team, all customer service tickets related to the issue (including this one) will be marked as “On-Hold” and merged with the developer ticket to be monitored internally. This process allows us to send automatic notifications when changes are complete. Full release notes are posted on https://support.wahoofitness.com

Be sure to keep your app and device up-to-date to receive the fix, when available.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience and support as we strive to serve you better. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns in the meantime.

Thanks for being a Wahoo customer,
xxxx

Old 12-21-19, 09:54 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

I've had a few problems recently with Wahoo Fitness on my iPhone syncing GPS with sensor data. Usually the heart rate doesn't align with the rest of the data. And occasionally GPS loses sync, but that's usually a device problem, not Wahoo.