Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Limited left knee flexion

Old 06-07-19, 03:28 PM
GimpyDavid

Bikes: None yet.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Limited left knee flexion

I am a 70 y/o male with a history of 5 left
Total Knee Replacements and would like to return to recreational bike riding.
However, I have only 95 degrees of left knee flexion which prevents me from completing a full crank revolution.
I would like some recommendations for acquiring asymmetric crank arms which will accommodate my left knee ROM
limitations. Thank you-GimpyDavid

Last edited by GimpyDavid; 06-07-19 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Misspell male
Old 06-11-19, 03:59 PM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not sure about asymmetric, but you could try short cranks or crank shorteners. I suppose if you did that only on the left, it would be asymmetric! In any case, crank shorteners are what I used before my total (right) knee replacement (and I only had 1, how did you ever do 5???).

Good luck,
Ed
Old 06-12-19, 02:49 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by GimpyDavid View Post
I am a 70 y/o male with a history of 5 left
Total Knee Replacements ..................... Thank you-GimpyDavid
5 ???? What happened, wearing out of joint, failure, improper installation, build up of scar tissue causing problems**********

I am years over-due for a right replacement that also requires an upper tibial osteotomy, actually left needs it also but not quite yet so curious as to what caused so many replacements.

Thank you.

+1 on the crank shortener