Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

High humidity

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

High humidity

Old 06-07-19, 12:02 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2811 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan View Post
A friend is from Suriname; she doesn't like when DC gets hot & humid but she's a bit spoiled.. Out of curiosity I researched the climate: yes it's humid but the weather is very consistent, temps over 92 are quite rare. In fact the forecast for Paramibo next week is 85 F high every day, not all that bad, has to be more comfortable than Austin TX 100 F. She says all the kids grow up riding bikes but apparently there's not much of an adult cycling culture. OTOH she says the country is so small that folks are inclined to follow social norms so hopefully the drivers are fairly polite. One can camp in the jungle at will, I've heard the locals are tough & don't mind the mosquitoes. The butterfly park near Paramibo is pretty famous. Suriname would probably get more tourists but the coast doesn't have sandy beaches.
Don't mind the mosquitoes huh? They must have some pretty passive mosquitoes then? As someone who grew up in the deep south I can say that mosquitoes are terrifying to me and always have been.

The ones you encounter in the southern states can be ravenous, and do all the things we're told mosquitoes are never suppose to do like swarm in the mid-day. In that, the science behind mosquitoes couldn't be more wrong.

I'm not exaggerating when I say they can literally dive bomb you and inject you with their cell liquefying saliva that can take years to heal. Yes, I said years. I visited the Florida everglades once as a kid and was so traumatized I have no desire to ever go there again. At least not during the summer.

The only good news is that they don't carry any of the serious life-threatening diseases like some other regions. Otherwise, the heat and humidity would be the least of your problems. A team of wild horse couldn't drag me to Panama. Good luck with that.
Old 06-07-19, 06:11 AM
djb

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Don't mind the mosquitoes huh? They must have some pretty passive mosquitoes then? As someone who grew up in the deep south I can say that mosquitoes are terrifying to me and always have been.

The ones you encounter in the southern states can be ravenous, and do all the things we're told mosquitoes are never suppose to do like swarm in the mid-day. In that, the science behind mosquitoes couldn't be more wrong.

I'm not exaggerating when I say they can literally dive bomb you and inject you with their cell liquefying saliva that can take years to heal. Yes, I said years. I visited the Florida everglades once as a kid and was so traumatized I have no desire to ever go there again. At least not during the summer.

The only good news is that they don't carry any of the serious life-threatening diseases like some other regions. Otherwise, the heat and humidity would be the least of your problems. A team of wild horse couldn't drag me to Panama. Good luck with that.
Just so it's clear, the zika virus and dengue fever are real dangers, and zika unfortunately has encroached in these areas where mev is going.
Bad luck can be a real factor and I have a niece who contacted malaria in South Africa in an area where the chances of getting it were very low, and she even told me there were hardly any mosquitoes present.
A very chose friend of mine has had the misfortune of getting dengue many years ago (may have been Haiti) and only a few years ago traveled in this area where mev is going and also contacted another malaria/dengue type mosquito borne disease, may have been zika (need to confirm with her still)

Because of the experiences of these two people very close to me, I would be very aware of the dangers and do everything I could to minimize the risk of these crappy mosquito borne diseases,.

As a lifelong camper, I have to say my experiences in tropical countries has never made me want to camp there as an option, so many unknown creepy crawlies and plants we just don't have the knowledge of the dangers.
Old 06-07-19, 09:04 AM
stardognine
Turquoise gatherer.

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
��
How-wet-wipes-destroying-planet...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...allergies.html
Interesting, but I'm not carrying a guilt trip around because of it. 🙄 I'm touring in Arizona, and water's not exactly plentiful here. And for what it's worth, ALL my trash goes into a small plastic bag, tied to the back rack. Then into a garbage can, once that's available. ✌️
Old 06-07-19, 07:36 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post

Yeah, I remember motorcycling in So Florida, no skeeters on the road but stepping a couple meters into the scrub (in mid-day) they swarmed like crazy (I've read the tiger mosquitoes, a more recent type, like daytime). & I did ask my Surinamese friend how local folks could tolerate the mosquitoes & didn't get a clear answer. Her American-raised husband & kids went on a camping trip into the Surinamese jungle with their local uncles...(there's actually some designated parks/camping areas)...IIRC the Americans had to use plenty of repellent but otherwise did OK. I once saw a TV show about American doctors working in the Amazon area to treat indigenous folks. One nurse was trying to give a man an injection into his arm & broke 2 hypo needles 'cause his skin was so thick.

Well I myself wouldn't pick Suriname as a top touring destination but OTOH I've heard some interesting stories. Like on big holidays (New Year's etc) they're fond of massive amounts of pro-grade fireworks. Interesting mix of cultures: Afro-Caribbean, Indian, Dutch etc. Food is good--rice, lentils, samosas, poultry etc. Go buy a goose for a special occasion & they slit it's throat...fresh as can be! I don't know much about accommodations outside the city but from what I hear the folks are quite entrepreneurial...I'd guess if one asks around one could find a house to stay at.
Old 06-07-19, 09:32 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2811 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan View Post
Yeah, I remember motorcycling in So Florida, no skeeters on the road but stepping a couple meters into the scrub (in mid-day) they swarmed like crazy (I've read the tiger mosquitoes, a more recent type, like daytime). & I did ask my Surinamese friend how local folks could tolerate the mosquitoes & didn't get a clear answer. Her American-raised husband & kids went on a camping trip into the Surinamese jungle with their local uncles...(there's actually some designated parks/camping areas)...IIRC the Americans had to use plenty of repellent but otherwise did OK. I once saw a TV show about American doctors working in the Amazon area to treat indigenous folks. One nurse was trying to give a man an injection into his arm & broke 2 hypo needles 'cause his skin was so thick.
I'm pretty sure I've been attacked by them. Their secretions are like concentrated acid. The anticoagulant protein triggers an immune response.

I only recently discovered they have evidence that mosquitoes are attracted to Type O individuals. Which would explain why they come after me so aggressively and more than anyone else. They've sent me running for cover like a lunatic.

Well I myself wouldn't pick Suriname as a top touring destination but OTOH I've heard some interesting stories. Like on big holidays (New Year's etc) they're fond of massive amounts of pro-grade fireworks. Interesting mix of cultures: Afro-Caribbean, Indian, Dutch etc. Food is good--rice, lentils, samosas, poultry etc. Go buy a goose for a special occasion & they slit it's throat...fresh as can be! I don't know much about accommodations outside the city but from what I hear the folks are quite entrepreneurial...I'd guess if one asks around one could find a house to stay at.
Maybe they have some kind of elaborate system like they use in Disney World? But I still wouldn't go in the summer.

Old 06-08-19, 09:36 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Interesting about the Disney World mosquito program. I've bike toured etc in South Florida coastline & had no problems. Main thing I think is to avoid woods & scrub areas if possible. Once camped with the family in Outer Banks NC, we swatted over 200 skeeters in the tent-trailer...kind of a PITA but not a total bummer. We got some bites but it wasn't agonizing.

For Suriname the avg daily high is very consistent thru the year ranging from 84 to 88 F; fall months have lowest rain but humidity only a bit less than in the wetter months. So yes it's humid but OTOH in July 2018 Paramaribo never went over 92 F so it doesn't seem brutal. I assume that with the humidity there's also cloud cover which helps a lot.
Old 06-10-19, 03:44 PM
djb

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 30 Posts
need to mention, I finally got the proper information about my friend.

She contracted something called the Chikungunya virus, mosquito borne, while visiting an island off the coast of Colombia called Curacao, about two years ago, not that far from Guyana, but I don't know if this is a problem in Guyana and Suriname also.
Many years ago, she had the bad luck of getting Dengue fever, another mosquitoe borne one.

both not really fun, and both with joint pain and all that jazz.
Old 06-10-19, 04:04 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mev View Post
My classic (smelly) green shirt has been retired after seams started giving out. Looking for a loose-fitting replacement though not sure if better to have cotton or synthetic. In any case I expect to sweat into whatever shirts I bring -
Have you tried silk? Last month in Guatemala it was 105 or so every day in the jungle. My silk shirt got more use than my cotton or wool shirt. A ceiling fan or any fan is healthier than an air conditioned room. 30 or 40 degree drop in temperature is not healthy. When you make the adjustment to your new environment, which takes time, you will be fine with a fan.

What about Venezuela? I would be interested to hear about this journey, as, I will be the northern part of western South America in a few months.

What did you decide on for a new bike?

Last edited by chrisx; 06-10-19 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-10-19, 04:44 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
Have you tried silk?

What about Venezuela? I would be interested to hear about this journey, as, I will be the northern part of western South America in a few months.

What did you decide on for a new bike?
I haven't tried silk but sounds like something to try.

This trip won't include Venezuela - though Colombia was one of my favorite countries. Pending how this trip goes, I could see Venezuela being high on the future list - though perhaps after basic economic activities sort out better.

This trip uses an existing bike (most likely my Trek 520) and haven't finalized either plans or logistics for that future trip to the Russian Far east.
Old 06-10-19, 04:46 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by djb View Post
need to mention, I finally got the proper information about my friend.

She contracted something called the Chikungunya virus, mosquito borne, while visiting an island off the coast of Colombia called Curacao, about two years ago, not that far from Guyana, but I don't know if this is a problem in Guyana and Suriname also.
Many years ago, she had the bad luck of getting Dengue fever, another mosquitoe borne one.

both not really fun, and both with joint pain and all that jazz.
Those mosquito borne diseases don't sound like fun. As best I understand from CDC sites, chika, dengue, zika and malaria all have some presence. I haven't decided yet whether to take malaria pills but in any case otherwise take precautions against getting bitten.
Old 06-12-19, 06:25 PM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have toured in places that are extremely hot and humid during the summer. Over the years, I have developed strategies that I think help me to prevent bonking -- at least not too much and not as often as in the past.

1. Avoid riding during the hottest times of the day. On one trip during a heat wave, I stopped riding mid-day and didn't get back on my bike until about 3 p.m.

2. Cover up. The sun saps energy, and sunburn is no fun. I tour wearing a long-sleeved jersey and a bandana. The bandana protects the top of my head, ears, and the back of my neck. Be generous with sunblock on unprotected parts of the body, like the face, and reapply often.

3. Choose synthetics over cotton clothing. Cotton, which I prefer for everything else, is just wrong for hot weather cycle touring.

4. Drink lots of water. In hot weather, I carry at least two litres of water, sometimes three.

I've also used electrolyte drinks and thought they made a difference. But I'm not 100% sure.

I have not yet had to deal with too many mosquitoes, yet just in case, I carry a bottle of DEET-based repellant.