Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike Flights no longer using Fedex

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bike Flights no longer using Fedex

Old 06-12-19, 06:37 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I just shipped a bike to Indiana and it was $38 for 2 business days, but it took 3 business days by my calculation. Dropped off at a UPS store. The bike box from the Trek Store was the perfect size and allowed the lower shipping rate. Only had to remove the wheels and pedals, so reassembly should be a snap.
Old 06-12-19, 06:44 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I just shipped a bike to Indiana and it was $38 for 2 business days, but it took 3 business days by my calculation. Dropped off at a UPS store. The bike box from the Trek Store was the perfect size and allowed the lower shipping rate. Only had to remove the wheels and pedals, so reassembly should be a snap.

What about the handlebar did you turn it? If so that had to be a big box. How did it qualify for the lower rate.

You had to remove both wheels?

Thanks for answering my last question before I asked it. And that was going to be if the UPS store takes bike boxes. Staples dropoff does not.
Old 06-12-19, 07:47 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
What about the handlebar did you turn it? If so that had to be a big box. How did it qualify for the lower rate.

You had to remove both wheels?

Thanks for answering my last question before I asked it. And that was going to be if the UPS store takes bike boxes. Staples dropoff does not.
Box was 54x29x8, and I turned the flat bars sideways without loosening. Wheels fit in easily next to the frame. May have lucked out by getting the perfect box. I zip tied the wheels to the frame to get in the box, and then removed the zip ties for a better fit. This was a smaller bike than I ride, but still 700C wheels. Not sure if I could get one of my bikes in the same box. But then I have an S&S coupled frame, so no shipping charges.
Old 06-12-19, 08:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
I swear I just saw it at $5. Or maybe that was shipbikes?

Do you ship to a shop and have them build?
Must have been Shipbikes.

Ship to the Missoula REI. You can see the back of the strip mall where REI is from the Missoula KOA office. I walk around the block and pick up my bike. They called me today to let me know my bike will be ready for me when I arrive Saturday afternoon. In 2017 it was only $40 to have them reassemble and tune the bike. They also hold my bike box and duffel bag until I get back.