Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

High Pass Challenge - any takers?

Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Old 06-09-19, 09:19 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

I'm thinking of giving the High Pass Challenge a go. Has anyone here done the ride before?

The description says 104 miles and 7,500 ft of elevation change. Sounds like quite the challenge.

Thoughts/comments/ideas?

Cheers.
Old 06-12-19, 01:47 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 7668 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 68 Posts
The view should be spectacular. Elevation chart looks like you'll be going uphill (not steep) for the last bunch of miles, ouch!

That's more saddle time than I have in me.
Old 06-12-19, 07:14 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Giant Contend SL Disc 2, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem, Priority Classic

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
Haven't done it but have considered it and recently found out that some folks in my regular ride group have made the gold cutoff in previous years. Don't think any of them have done it more than once so seems like a ride to check off your list rather than an event to look forward to riding yearly.

The challenging part is actually the first half to the top where it's timed. Then it's mostly downhill back to the start.

I don't like that it's on a weekday necessitating either a long and early drive from Seattle or lodging arrangements.
Old 06-12-19, 10:19 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I'm considering doing the ride. I've been training for Tour de Blast so hopefully I'll have the legs for it. I'm not much of a racer though. I tend to do these events for the enjoyment. But yes, would be great to check it off the list. Not to mention seeing the views. From the description the ride sounds lovely.