Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Colnago. Any thoughts?

Old 06-13-19, 08:13 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: Paramounts, PX-10s, Mondias, Motobecane Grand Record, Specialized Allez Carbon, and Nishiki Tri-A

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Colnago. Any thoughts?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...903950672.html
Hi, I am wondering if any of you have thoughts on this bike...I was thinking about looking at it and perhaps making an offer.
Where is it on the Colnago food chain, What's it worth, how original does it look etc.
Anything I should be aware of when looking at it?
Any insights are appreciated.
Thanks, Ben
Old 06-13-19, 08:37 PM
zukahn1

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Nice bike looks all legit but the price is way High I'm only seeing $350-400 the current build just kills value for me crappy MTB stem ond stait bars yuck. Nicely built up ready to ride with the correct drops on the bike with good rubber $600-700. The Market is real soft right now and bikes like this on are just not doing the numbers they did only 3-4 years ago and are down a solid 50% from the hieght of the fix classic mini boom of the early 2000s
Old 06-13-19, 09:25 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8524 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 74 Posts
I'm going to disagree with @zukahn1.

It is certainly a small bike, which narrows the market. But, it appears to be mostly complete, Nuovo Record, including I think NR brakes & hubs. And, minus the stem, cables, housing, and wrap, it has most of the parts to put it back to drop bars.

I think it also has sewups which also narrows the market slightly, but for the right person isn't a big deal either way.

The paint appears to be in reasonably good condition for a "rider". Decals are a bit rough, but can be replaced.

It does appear to be a "Superissimo" (note the chrome headtube lugs, and logo on the top tube), which puts it at the top of the Super line, but probably slightly below the Mexico/Master lines (depending on the years, of course).

I think it would be a reasonable deal at around $700.
Old 06-14-19, 07:19 AM
jdawginsc

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, ?Rossin Performance EL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Depends on the quality of the restoring done so far. Hopefully it is straight/no stripped threads.

I am going to split the difference and say at $550, if it is your size, it would be a great plunge.
Old 06-14-19, 07:36 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: Paramounts, PX-10s, Mondias, Motobecane Grand Record, Specialized Allez Carbon, and Nishiki Tri-A

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks to all for the information....Best, Ben
Old 06-14-19, 07:49 AM
hazetguy 
Custom User Title

Bikes: are filling up my basement.

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
My own rambling opinion to follow, me having recently bought a similar condition Colnago:

It's a 1982 or newer based on the stamped COLNAGO on the chainstay and the 'new style' decals, and that the Superissimo was introduced in 1982.
If it's your size: bonus. That is a tiny frame, which will limit appeal (mentioned above). But who knows, there could be a bunch of people looking for a Colnago in that small size.
If you want to return it to it's original state, in terms of components, it's missing several hundred dollars worth of Campagnolo parts (unless you already have these parts stashed): pedals, brake pad holders (sheesh, the price of those things, WOW!), replacement brake lever hoods (he says he has them, if they could be thrown in as part of the deal, not extra, even better), stem (Cinelli are easy to find, and good deals can certainly be had for them), front derailleur (definitely not an NR on there like he says), crank bolts/washers, crank dust caps. Also consider that it might need consumables (cables, cable housings, brake pads perhaps, chain), and those things add up too.
You might be able to sell a few of the incorrect parts off it to recoup some $$, like the Moots stem (if it really is one),
I personally like the fact that it has GP4's on it.
If it's what you want, your size, frame checks out to be good (no hidden damage or terminal rust), in the cosmetic condition you are ok with, and you can negotiate some of the price off it, go for it. If it met all the criteria I personally had, and I could negotiate it to $550, I'd be all over it. Probably still be in at $600. $650 would be pushing it (for me) because of the high dollar missing stuff.
Since the guy used "Eroica ready", I'm presuming he's not oblivious to the relative 'value' of a Colnago.
Good luck!

PLEASE DO NOT "LIKE" MY POSTS!!!
Old 06-14-19, 08:35 AM
Paletti

Bikes: 1985 DeRosa SLX, 1994 DeRosa Primato, 2009 DeRosa x-light, 1993 Paletti, 1983 Colnago aero cx, 1984 Colnago Mexico, 1983 Colner strato professional, 2016 Colnago V1-R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah .. I agree with hazetguy. $550 would be a good price. It is a super and it looks like the one's that used to be advertised for sale in bicycle/winning magazines in the mid 1980's. The campy group is nice and worth money too. Again as stated the size really hurts the value of the bike. If this same thing was around a 56cm I could see it worth north of 550.
Old 06-14-19, 05:57 PM
Kars

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Paletti View Post
Yeah .. I agree with hazetguy. $550 would be a good price. It is a super and it looks like the one's that used to be advertised for sale in bicycle/winning magazines in the mid 1980's. The campy group is nice and worth money too. Again as stated the size really hurts the value of the bike. If this same thing was around a 56cm I could see it worth north of 550.
700 is way too much for that bike. I agree 550 maybe ok but I can say that in the northeast you take a serious hit trying to sell a bike in that size. If condition of it was better you might be able to get the 700. At the same time in San Francisco 700 might be the price of dinner at a restaurant.