Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trek 520 vs Surly Disc Trucker 26"

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.
View Poll Results: Trek 520 or Surly DT 26"
Trek 520
37.50%
Surly Trucker Disc 26"
62.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Trek 520 vs Surly Disc Trucker 26"

Old 01-06-19, 12:14 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6838 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
Trucker has slightly better components but the overriding question is 'what wheel size do you want?'
And yes , basically, Trek 520 is not using 26" wheels .. they use 700c. 35 ~ 37 ish is good..
Old 01-06-19, 03:24 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
And yes , basically, Trek 520 is not using 26" wheels .. they use 700c. 35 ~ 37 ish is good..

Yep, and this is one reason why LHT/DT is the better choice for many bicyclists. Shorter bicyclists can choose the 26" wheel version of LHT/DT to fit smaller frame sizes better, as the frame design is not compromised by steep seat tube angle to provide shorter effective top tube / reach, and slacker head tube angle to mitigate top overlap, as is frequently the case in 700c frame sizes <55cm.
Old 01-06-19, 05:52 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seeker333 View Post
Yep, and this is one reason why LHT/DT is the better choice for many bicyclists. Shorter bicyclists can choose the 26" wheel version of LHT/DT to fit smaller frame sizes better, as the frame design is not compromised by steep seat tube angle to provide shorter effective top tube / reach, and slacker head tube angle to mitigate top overlap, as is frequently the case in 700c frame sizes <55cm.
I ride a 56 cm frame, had a 700c LHT for a year before building up a 26Ē 56 cm LHT. To my tastes the 700 wheel version has awful slow speed handling which matters to me for commutting and shopping with big loads. Itís like night and day if I have to maneuver in tight quarters. . Both carry heavy loads well and both ride at high speeds well but the 26Ē wheel version is nimble in comparison and the 700c version whch feels like a long bus.
Likes For LeeG:
Old 01-15-19, 08:50 AM
redbagsrambler

Bikes: Trek 520, Bianchi Volpe and too many more to name

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't believe I'm about to contribute to this zombie thread.

I have toured on a Trek 520 regularly for well over a decade. It has served me well and I adore the bike. I can't speak highly enough about it.
That said, if I were to purchase a bike under the conditions in the original post, I would get the Surly. I would prefer a 26" wheel if anticipating a potential tour around the world or anywhere which isn't North America or Europe. Also, because I'm something of a grouch, I am not keen on the changes Trek has made to the 2019 version of the 520. It's like the New Coke. They had a working formula, so why change it? Some things are classic and don't need to be tinkered with.
Old 06-15-19, 04:36 PM
stevecoh1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fit. No other question is as important.

Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
Trucker has slightly better components but the overriding question is 'what wheel size do you want?'
Thatís probably true. Tried them both yesterday and it wasnít even close - FOR ME. 46 cm bikes always seem to fit ME like a glove. Trek doesnít offer that size. 48 was the closest. Iíve been told I could ride a 51 or 52 cm. Thatís bull****. The Surly seemed lighter and it probably was, not just because of the 2 cm but also due to the 26Ē wheels. So I bought the Surly. Time will tell if I made the right choice.