Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

revisiting Specialized Future Shock issues

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

revisiting Specialized Future Shock issues

Old 06-07-19, 07:40 PM
eflayer 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
for my bike and my ears this was the ANSWER!

Originally Posted by eflayer View Post
somewhere else it was suggested that i isolate the headset cover cap from what is above it and what is below it. i made three "o-rings" or rubber bands by cutting a bike inner tube crossways. i stretched one over the circumference of the FS above the funny cap, one below the funny cap, and one under my three spacers. now each is isolated from what's above it and below it. will remove the tape on the rubber boot and give the new idea a shot on our crap roads tomorrow.
I think I finally nailed the solution to the rattle problem.
Old 06-08-19, 01:57 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Just wanted to add something that many/most people dont know about suspension. rockshox and fox forks have about 25-50h service intervals! yeah.

So how much longer will this one have in reality? I kinda doubt its better than the stuff that rockshox and fox makes if you know what i mean.
Old 06-09-19, 07:00 PM
eflayer 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The shock was not the problem. The problem was play in the stack around the shock. I basically put rubber bands in places within the stack that were vibrating and creating the rattle. Think there are thousands of Future Shock bikes on the road and very few failures or issues with wearing out.
Old 06-12-19, 08:57 AM
OUGrad05

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Roubaix owner here, 2017 model. My future shock is noisy AF and gets commented on during rides a lot. Rattles constantly on our crap roads here.
Old 06-12-19, 04:08 PM
eflayer 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
is it the shock or simply play in the stack?

mine was play in the stack that i solved as mentioned above. no more rattles, none!

Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
Roubaix owner here, 2017 model. My future shock is noisy AF and gets commented on during rides a lot. Rattles constantly on our crap roads here.
Old 06-15-19, 11:37 AM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
lets just say that you, the user, will have to do a lot more to keep such a system running than a simple rigid fork!! a lot more. i have no idea why any person in the entire world would choose such a system if given a choice. plz tell me why?

and as we all know, we adjust comfort with tire pressure/volume. whats more to understand here??

I can tell you that i simply gave away my rock shox fork to a friend in like 2009. it sucked so much a55 it was unbelievable. and i simply had to remove it from the bike and replace it with a steel salsa fork. no regrets there. bike ran great after the swap. my father actually runs this bike now. in 2019. with the same frame/fork. i guess solid steel dont really wear our.
Old 06-15-19, 05:20 PM
eflayer 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i have been through half a hundred bikes in the last 15 years

Now that I have quieted the Future Shock on my Roubaix I do believe it is the most comfortable road bike I have ever ridden. I am 68, have thumb joint issues, and ride crap roads in Sonoma County CA. This is a great all around bike for fast club rides and stand up out of the saddle climbing.

It now has Rol Range 21 aluminum disc wheels with 27mm wide rims with 28mm Conti 4000 ii tires that measure 33mm wide when mounted. The combo of FS, fat tires, lower pressure, and CGR seatpost all add up to being pretty darn great. Go fast too.

I will admit there is a lot going on in that steering shock system but I am confident it will last and be just fine. I am good with it. I do question the rattle and why on my bike, but it's fixed and all good now.

[QUOTE=carlos danger;20980276]lets just say that you, the user, will have to do a lot more to keep such a system running than a simple rigid fork!! a lot more. i ha21

Last edited by eflayer; 06-15-19 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-15-19, 07:37 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos danger View Post
lets just say that you, the user, will have to do a lot more to keep such a system running than a simple rigid fork!! a lot more. i have no idea why any person in the entire world would choose such a system if given a choice. plz tell me why?

and as we all know, we adjust comfort with tire pressure/volume. whats more to understand here??

I can tell you that i simply gave away my rock shox fork to a friend in like 2009. it sucked so much a55 it was unbelievable. and i simply had to remove it from the bike and replace it with a steel salsa fork. no regrets there. bike ran great after the swap. my father actually runs this bike now. in 2019. with the same frame/fork. i guess solid steel dont really wear our.
121.11 miles on my 2018 Roubaix Expert today and with the combo of FS + tire pressure adjustment the miles were wonderfully comfortable. It's a keeper.
Old 06-15-19, 09:53 PM
pdoege

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The older Roubaix work great with an Ergon CF3. Happy hands and butt make for fast and long rides.
Old 06-16-19, 09:03 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by eflayer View Post
Now that I have quieted the Future Shock on my Roubaix I do believe it is the most comfortable road bike I have ever ridden. I am 68, have thumb joint issues, and ride crap roads in Sonoma County CA. This is a great all around bike for fast club rides and stand up out of the saddle climbing.

It now has Rol Range 21 aluminum disc wheels with 27mm wide rims with 28mm Conti 4000 ii tires that measure 33mm wide when mounted. The combo of FS, fat tires, lower pressure, and CGR seatpost all add up to being pretty darn great. Go fast too.

I will admit there is a lot going on in that steering shock system but I am confident it will last and be just fine. I am good with it. I do question the rattle and why on my bike, but it's fixed and all good now.
Yep. I'm a flat-bar road bike person, but I'm confident my new Sirrus (X Comp) will prove out the same once I get it sorted (tires etc.). Initial impressions are very good; the FS definitely works as advertised. I do have some noise, not so much rattles as a distinct 'click' whenever the spring compresses past a certain point, but again I've no doubt this will be remedied.

Bike replaces a '10 Sirrus that has been an excellent bike, but I'm (now) 67 going on 68 and with some health issues that are exacerbated by jarring/vibration. I didn't want to use anything wider/heavier/lower pressure than a 32mm road tire to deal with road shock, so the FS seemed the way to go.
Old 06-16-19, 09:19 AM
eflayer 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
my bet is

what i have been calling a rattle is what you are calling a click. consider that the headset cover is sitting on top of metal underneath and if you have spacers they are jostling against the metal ring either at the top or bottom of the rubber FS boot. let me know if you need more details...or if in fact your problem is different.

Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
Yep. I'm a flat-bar road bike person, but I'm confident my new Sirrus (X Comp) will prove out the same once I get it sorted (tires etc.). Initial impressions are very good; the FS definitely works as advertised. I do have some noise, not so much rattles as a distinct 'click' whenever the spring compresses past a certain point, but again I've no doubt this will be remedied.

Bike replaces a '10 Sirrus that has been an excellent bike, but I'm (now) 67 going on 68 and with some health issues that are exacerbated by jarring/vibration. I didn't want to use anything wider/heavier/lower pressure than a 32mm road tire to deal with road shock, so the FS seemed the way to go.