Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

90's(?) Bianchi

Old 06-16-19, 09:11 PM
trainman999

Bikes: 83 Schwinn Superior, 86 Paramount,86 Madison,87 Cimeron,86 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is there more than one level of SBX frames? I have one that differs from th OP's , B in the head /downtube lug, Bianchi cast into the BB on the non drive side , Bianchi cast into both sides of the brake bridge, where the brake cable passes through the top tube looks like it has a tube the full leinghttube inserted.
Old 06-17-19, 06:02 AM
Lattz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trainman999 View Post
Is there more than one level of SBX frames? I have one that differs from th OP's , B in the head /downtube lug, Bianchi cast into the BB on the non drive side , Bianchi cast into both sides of the brake bridge, where the brake cable passes through the top tube looks like it has a tube the full leinghttube inserted.
There is, but no one knows so far how many different versions exist, as this whole SBX (Bianchi's own Special Columbus tubeset) myth is still in the cleanup phase. If you'd like to have a quick summary, so far 3 versions are known for sure (please someone interrupt/add/correct if needed):
- the version you have: pantos everywhere, curved brake brigde, inlet/outlet tubes for the internal cabling in the top tube. I have seen these in metallic and non-metallic shades of celeste, but Bianchigirl's dotted one is the same frame version. Chrome unicrown fork.
- OP's version (my ex as well): not a single panto or cast logo/letter saying it's a Bianchi. Pale seafoam green celeste, non-metallic, no blueish tint at all. Decals are the older winged type ones with lower wing flap in green, straight brake bridge. I call this the weird series, as there is exactly zero official info on it, and the logo drives people thinking its late 80's, but the internal cabling, plus the official availability of the SBX in the catalogs dates to 93-94. Chrome unicrown fork.
- SBX Krono (bent-tube TT version)

- there's a Caurus said to be made of SBX tubing currently on sale in Germany, but I cannot confirm the originality. It is painted everywhere, not a single centimeter of chrome is visible, not even the fork, nothing. There are forums, where people asking about SBX Caurus, but without pictures, I cannot/would not take these seriously, plus I recently discovered, that Bianchi used the Caurus name on the cheapest bikes, and on their "Proto" line as well (italians like this joke to confuse people trying to figure out retroactively, what did they do and when). Plus you can never know, who resprayed the bike, and fitted whatever decals were available. Today it is rather easy to source or reprint decals, but even 10 years ago this was not the case.

As a newbie to Bianchi, when I bought min, I had the struggle for years, if it is a real Bianchi at all. I paid ~USD 300 8 years ago for the bike (my mom didn't speak to me for a week as it was a considerable money back then, and she didn't get, why do I need such an expensive bicycle), and back then I could get a Bianchi Caurus for like USD100, but this looked and felt way cooler even without knowing anything about it. I was hoping, that I got tricked into a chepaer Bianchi model labelled as Reparto Corse, as I looked over thousands of pictures and none of the Bianchis looked like this, not even the few SBXs i saw (those were with no wing logo, with, panto etc...just as described). Then I found one for sale here in Germany 3-4 years ago, which confirmed that my model exists as it is, and also found the threads where people tried to help two guys with the same bike finding out what is it exactly.