Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pirelli Cinturato Velo TLR tubeless - seat of my pants review

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-19, 10:12 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

Bike: 2017 BH G7
Wheels: Boyd 44mm

After riding Schwalbe Pro One tyres for a year and a half, I decided to try out a different tyre. After reading around the interwebs, I decided on the Pirelli Cinturato tubeless tyre.

These are my impressions after riding a total of 180k this weekend over the past two days. My findings are not scientific and only reflect the seat of my pants feel.

I immediately noticed that the tyres are a harder/harsher ride as compared to the Pro One's. This is not surprising, since Pirelli claims the tyres are made of a puncture resistant compound. I also noticed that the rolling resistance is not as smooth as the Pro One's. Again, not surprising. My sense is the Pro One's are a race tyres, while the Pirelli's are more of a daily training tyre.

The tyres feel sticky, and of the cornering/descending that I did the tyres performed admirably. No complaints.

I am still in early days with the tyres, so I don't have a final opinion yet. So far though, I am happy with my purchase. I'll update the thread as I continue to put more KMs on the tyres and get a better feel for them.
Old 06-17-19, 10:27 AM
NoWhammies

Almost forgot to add..

Tyres were easy to get on the rim. I'd say as easy as the Pro One's.
The tyres seated easy enough with my floor pump, although I have some questions about the seating. Those questions can be found here.
I filled them with Orange Seal.
Pirelli says to ride them with a max air pressure of 87 PSI, so that's what I rode them with.
Old 07-23-19, 08:37 AM
NoWhammies

So I have an update on these tyres. After riding 1,700km, the rear tyre developed a soft spot. The best way I can describe it is this way. The inflated tyre was hard (as expected) except for a section about the size of my thumbnail. This part of the tyre was soft and squishy. Doing some google searching around, I suspect it was a tyre bubble, although nothing as crazy as this: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...re-bubble.html

There is a possibility the soft spot had been on the tyre before the 1,700k mark. I only found it because I had taken the rear wheel off to clean the rear cassette.

I bought the tyre from PBK so I am following up with them to see if I can get a replacement/warranty tyre.

I am disappointed the tyre has this defect as I was enjoying the tyres until this point. The 26mm was a good size for my riding style. The grippiness of the tyre was good. And the weight of the tyre, while heavier, was good for the type of terrain I was riding on. Anyway. I still have the Pirelli on the front. I replaced the rear tyre wit ha 25mm AC0 as it was the only other tubeless tyre I had. I hate having mismtached tyre sizes on my bike. I feel like a hack.