Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Grand Prix 5000 Tubeless

Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Grand Prix 5000 Tubeless

Old 06-17-19, 08:04 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 52 Posts
I recently went to Mavic Ksyrium Elite USTs. Unbelievable. Faster, smoother and lighter than any clincher I've ever ridden. Love this setup. They're 25s. And, easier to mount than my clinchers. Sounds like you're having fun. Perfect.
Old 06-20-19, 08:06 PM
CasualInSoCal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So do these Grand Prix 5000 Tubeless tires work with the Mavic UST system? Or are they different?
Old 06-21-19, 01:11 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CasualInSoCal View Post
So do these Grand Prix 5000 Tubeless tires work with the Mavic UST system? Or are they different?
Internet rumblings say GP5000s adhere to the yet-to-be-published ETRTO TL standard, which internet rumblings state is based off of Mavicís UST. Sorry I canít be of more help - Iíve tried hard to find first hand sources of this information and struck out so I have no idea if either of those statements are true. It may just be better to assume theyíre false.
Old 06-21-19, 05:28 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Litespeed T2 Disc, Fondirest P4 Carbon, Fuji Cross 2.0, Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 47 Posts
Don't know, I do know that someone in a FB group Iím in had issues getting the tire on his Ksyrium Pro UST rims. Donít know if he ever got them on or if it was an operator headspace and timing issue with respect to mounting.

I can tell you that I have been super happy with the Yksion Pro UST tires.
Old 06-21-19, 11:32 AM
CasualInSoCal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash View Post
Internet rumblings say GP5000s adhere to the yet-to-be-published ETRTO TL standard, which internet rumblings state is based off of Mavicís UST. Sorry I canít be of more help - Iíve tried hard to find first hand sources of this information and struck out so I have no idea if either of those statements are true. It may just be better to assume theyíre false.
Originally Posted by jadocs View Post
Don't know, I do know that someone in a FB group Iím in had issues getting the tire on his Ksyrium Pro UST rims. Donít know if he ever got them on or if it was an operator headspace and timing issue with respect to mounting.

I can tell you that I have been super happy with the Yksion Pro UST tires.
That's a bummer. UST seem like a well designed spec, and I'm willing to jump on the bandwagon, but not if it means I'm stuck with only Mavic tires.
Old 06-24-19, 12:54 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
That's a bummer. UST seem like a well designed spec, and I'm willing to jump on the bandwagon, but not if it means I'm stuck with only Mavic tires.
Aha. Found a source:

ďUniversal:
The only tubeless system that is universally accepted and recognized by every tyre and rim manufacturers.
The only tubeless system that is included in the standards that rule the bicycle wheel and tyre world! ISO 4210 / 5775 (in progress) and ETRTO 2018.
Riderís benefit : the only tubeless system that has been tested and approved for safety and ease of use.Ē

https://engineerstalk.mavic.com/en/r...asy-safe-fast/

I tried putting a mavic tire on a UST rim at sea otter last year (they were making a big deal out of it) and I can confirm that it was truly a cinch. If thatís the standard weíre adpoting, then Iím all for it.