Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1970 Schwinn

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1970 Schwinn

Old 06-13-19, 04:36 PM
  #1  
Sp1990
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
1970 Schwinn

New here not to vintage bicycles. Going to be starting a summer project with my daughter. This will be my first vintage schwinn though. We plan to bring the bicycle back to original appearance. We are starting with a bare frame, a 1970 lil chik. Was going to post pics but looks like I can't until I do 10 posts. Will update.
Sp1990 is offline  
Old 06-13-19, 04:37 PM
  #2  
Sp1990
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have a couple of questions, what crank will work on this frame? I'm assuming a stingray crank will work? Will any other crank work?
Sp1990 is offline  
Old 06-13-19, 05:53 PM
  #3  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 8,120
Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 28 Posts
-----

There will be more readers knowledgable regarding this model of Schwinn over at thecabe.com forum.

Registration needed to participate and is free.

http://www.thecabe.com/


-----
juvela is offline  
Old 06-17-19, 04:35 PM
  #4  
Sp1990
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts


How she looked from factory with the green paint.


Frame as bought


By end of summer this is what it should look like.

Last edited by Sp1990; 06-21-19 at 04:33 PM.
Sp1990 is offline  
Likes For Sp1990:
Old 06-17-19, 04:45 PM
  #5  
SurferRosa
Senior Member
 
SurferRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 900

Bikes: old school 531c & campy

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Pro tip: find a donor bike for components and learn to polish 'em up.
SurferRosa is offline  
Old 06-17-19, 05:25 PM
  #6  
Sp1990
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
This bike not going to be a show bike just something my daughter can ride and keep. Not many kids nowadays can say they have ridden a vintage Chicago schwinn.going to be shopping ebay for the parts. Im Ok with using generic parts.
Sp1990 is offline  
Old 06-17-19, 07:50 PM
  #7  
PatTheSlat 
Senior Member
 
PatTheSlat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 551

Bikes: '63 Schwinn American, '64 DL-1, '65 Schwinn Racer, '73 Super Course, '83 Voyageur SP, '89 Miyata 914, '03 EZ-1, '13 Raleigh i8 Folder

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Good luck on this one- since so many parts are shared with the much more valuable boys stingrays, finding reasonably priced parts may be a struggle. I can set you up with a headset and maybe a few other things- send me a PM if you like.
PatTheSlat is offline  
Old 06-17-19, 08:05 PM
  #8  
Sp1990
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PatTheSlat View Post
Good luck on this one- since so many parts are shared with the much more valuable boys stingrays, finding reasonably priced parts may be a struggle. I can set you up with a headset and maybe a few other things- send me a PM if you like.
That's actually a good thing. There seems to be a good amount of parts for stingrays online.
Sp1990 is offline  
Old 06-17-19, 10:13 PM
  #9  
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic
 
Jeff Wills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: other Vancouver
Posts: 8,960
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Sp1990 View Post
New here not to vintage bicycles. Going to be starting a summer project with my daughter. This will be my first vintage schwinn though. We plan to bring the bicycle back to original appearance. We are starting with a bare frame, a 1970 lil chik. Was going to post pics but looks like I can't until I do 10 posts. Will update.
As others said- the parts are 100% interchangeable with the Sting-Ray. In fact, many parts interchange with Schwinn "electro-forged" bikes of the '60's and '70's. Back when I worked in a Schwinn shop we would customize new bikes for only the difference in cost between the swapped parts.

FWIW: here's a complete one for guidance:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/b...911013034.html
__________________
Jeff Wills

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Jeff Wills is offline  
Old 06-21-19, 01:21 PM
  #10  
Sp1990
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

After chemically stripping paint, next to sand it down smooth. Apparently whoever did the red repaint stripped all green original paint off. Only a little original green on forks.


Last edited by Sp1990; 06-21-19 at 03:03 PM.
Sp1990 is offline  
Likes For Sp1990:
Old 06-21-19, 04:00 PM
  #11  
madpogue 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 2,864
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 42 Posts
This thread is sooooo
madpogue is offline  
Old 06-21-19, 04:05 PM
  #12  
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 23,516

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 70 Posts
If you don't mind some subtle upgrades, you can always pull a set of decent 20" aluminum wheels from a current kid's bike and the crank, if it's chromed. The chainring should be easy enough to find on eBay.

The same handlebar stem can be found on the upright-bar Schwinns of the time - the Breeze, Collegiate, Speedster, and a few others used it.

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline  
Old 06-21-19, 04:16 PM
  #13  
madpogue 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 2,864
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 42 Posts
^^^^ Oh that would be sweet. And way easier to source tires for modern rims; IIRC, Schwinn had their own 20" "standard" BITD.

Perhaps some more modern pedals as well (OEM style look cool, but are clunky).
madpogue is offline  
Old 06-21-19, 04:24 PM
  #14  
Sp1990
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
If you don't mind some subtle upgrades, you can always pull a set of decent 20" aluminum wheels from a current kid's bike and the crank, if it's chromed. The chainring should be easy enough to find on eBay.

The same handlebar stem can be found on the upright-bar Schwinns of the time - the Breeze, Collegiate, Speedster, and a few others used it.

-Kurt
One step ahead of u buddy, been on the hunt for a parts bike for the last 2 weeks.it's funny I usually always see bikes in people's trash /on curb.now that I NEED one haven't seen a bike for the 2 weeks I've been looking lol been to a few thrift stores too. No luck yet.as far as the crank goes I'm going 24tpi bmx crank.already have bearings,cup, all that. Crank should be coming in the mail any day now. BTW this is a February 1970 frame so this little bike hitting big 50 next year. For now back to the body work.
Sp1990 is offline  
Likes For Sp1990:
Old 06-21-19, 04:28 PM
  #15  
2cam16
Senior Member
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 2,605

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Subbed!
2cam16 is offline  
Old 06-21-19, 04:46 PM
  #16  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 9,507

Bikes: '76 Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Burley Samba, Terra Trike

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I love it! By the time of my childhood the only remaining "muscle bikes" were for girls because boys all got BMX.

For some reason I always notice now that underneath the ape hangers and tall banana seat for adolescents, there's a 20" kid's size cruiser frame, and I wonder how it would look with a regular seat and cruiser bars.

It also makes me wonder how something like a Cleary would look with a banana seat and ape hangers.
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 06-21-19 at 04:50 PM.
Darth Lefty is offline  
Old 06-21-19, 05:59 PM
  #17  
Sp1990
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts


When kids got tired of of jumping their stingray


They did this. A soulless stingray lol (not my bikes)
I've seen a few stingrays converted to bmx. Looks like a stingray that had its soul sucked out lmao.kids that couldn't afford new bmx bikes converted their old stingrays. The ones I've seen were beat to hell but they took the abuse.
Sp1990 is offline  
Old 06-21-19, 06:04 PM
  #18  
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic
 
Jeff Wills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: other Vancouver
Posts: 8,960
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
^^^^ Oh that would be sweet. And way easier to source tires for modern rims; IIRC, Schwinn had their own 20" "standard" BITD.

Perhaps some more modern pedals as well (OEM style look cool, but are clunky).
Yes, the Schwinn size was 20 x 1 3/4" while BMX-ish tires are 20 x 1.75"... and they don't interchange. Bicycle tire sizes are weird.

You can install 20 x 1.75" wheels pretty easily, but I'm not certain that alloy rims with coaster-brake hubs are available. No doubt someone will point to some. Also, the fork accepts a 5/16" diameter axle while most "BMX" wheels use a 3/8" diameter axle... at least they did when I was working in a bike shop (40 years ago...). A little work with a file will enlarge the slots enough for the larger axle.
__________________
Jeff Wills

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Jeff Wills is offline  
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 06-21-19, 06:19 PM
  #19  
Sp1990
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills View Post
Yes, the Schwinn size was 20 x 1 3/4" while BMX-ish tires are 20 x 1.75"... and they don't interchange. Bicycle tire sizes are weird.

You can install 20 x 1.75" wheels pretty easily, but I'm not certain that alloy rims with coaster-brake hubs are available. No doubt someone will point to some. Also, the fork accepts a 5/16" diameter axle while most "BMX" wheels use a 3/8" diameter axle... at least they did when I was working in a bike shop (40 years ago...). A little work with a file will enlarge the slots enough for the larger axle.
thank you this is the kind of info I need!!
Sp1990 is offline  
Old 06-21-19, 07:54 PM
  #20  
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 23,516

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
...there's a 20" kid's size cruiser frame, and I wonder how it would look with a regular seat and cruiser bars.
I kid you not, I pitched the idea of modernizing three Lil' Chiks as kid-proof bike rodeo bikes for a non-profit once. It's still a sound idea...

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline  
Old 06-21-19, 08:00 PM
  #21  
Sp1990
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
I kid you not, I pitched the idea of modernizing three Lil' Chiks as kid-proof bike rodeo bikes for a non-profit once. It's still a sound idea...

-Kurt
What is a kid proof rodeo bike?
Sp1990 is offline  
Old 06-21-19, 08:06 PM
  #22  
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 23,516

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Sp1990 View Post
What is a kid proof rodeo bike?
Any bike that can survive five years of kids crashing them into any immovable object - including the floor - and then be transported back to an office under a pile of other bikes...

...and not need major maintenance for five years of said regular abuse.

Said non-profit still has some Giant Brass 1's (totally unsuited and oversized) in their fleet. One of the kids was able to crash it hard enough to loosen the swedged steerer tube in its fork crown (though I'll blame the fork design partially for this).

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline  
Old 06-21-19, 09:01 PM
  #23  
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic
 
Jeff Wills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: other Vancouver
Posts: 8,960
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
Any bike that can survive five years of kids crashing them into any immovable object - including the floor - and then be transported back to an office under a pile of other bikes...

...and not need major maintenance for five years of said regular abuse.

Said non-profit still has some Giant Brass 1's (totally unsuited and oversized) in their fleet. One of the kids was able to crash it hard enough to loosen the swedged steerer tube in its fork crown (though I'll blame the fork design partially for this).

-Kurt
I think that beats "Giant Iguana" for bike brand/model combinations.
__________________
Jeff Wills

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Jeff Wills is offline  
Old 06-21-19, 09:08 PM
  #24  
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 23,516

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills View Post
I think that beats "Giant Iguana" for bike brand/model combinations.
I've been looking at those pieces of crap for five years, and only now did the pun just click.


Must mention it to the staff on Monday. More justification for kicking those things out of a kids' program


-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline  
Old 06-21-19, 09:29 PM
  #25  
Sp1990
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Giant brass 1 and giant iguana are bikes lmao what we're they thinking with those names!?
Sp1990 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.