Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1985 Miyata Six Ten College Build

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1985 Miyata Six Ten College Build

Old 07-18-18, 01:09 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2011 Surly Troll, 2015 Borealis Yampa, 1985 Trek 720

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowegian View Post
On second look that is still a beautiful bike. Very nice update!
I've convinced my college-age son that fenders are actually pretty nice when your bike is your only transportation. Have you considered fenders for this bike? Seems like they would fit and even when dry, gravel will nick up a frame in no time without them.
My son actually brought up fenders. We really can't do cheap plastic with this build. Some kind of shiny silver. Also, pedals are on order: DMR V8.
Old 07-18-18, 01:11 PM
revcp 

Originally Posted by Hudson308 View Post
Gorgeous bike! Another notch for the Powdercoat man? It will probably be safer at Luther than at any typical Twin Cities college bike rack, but you may consider registering it (for free) on the Minneapolis Police Bike Registry. I know Iowa is a bit of a distance for a stolen bike to travel back, but at the very least you'll have a margin of proof that you own it if the worst should happen. I also would discourage keeping that Brooks on a college bike. You can buy a cheap "pleather" facsimile from Origin8 that will hold up to inclement weather a bit better. (I spotted the bonnet stuffed under the saddle, but sometimes weather happens when you're nowhere around.)
Indeed, another notch for Doug. We do plan on registering it. My son is type AA, so I'm sure he will keep the saddle bonnetted (is that a word?) at all times. Also, I'll be super gluing ball bearings into the bolt heads of the seatpost and saddle clamp.

Last edited by revcp; 07-18-18 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-18-18, 02:17 PM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp View Post
My son actually brought up fenders.
smart kid!

We really can't do cheap plastic with this build. Some kind of shiny silver.
smart dad!
Old 07-18-18, 02:33 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I'll be super gluing ball bearings into the bolt heads of the seatpost and saddle clamp.
Now THAT'S a clever theft deterrent!
Old 07-18-18, 02:45 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 419 Post(s)
Quoted: 5362 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 61 Posts
Indeed, another notch for Doug. We do plan on registering it. My son is type AA, so I'm sure he will keep the saddle bonnetted (is that a word?) at all times. Also, I'll be super gluing ball bearings into the bolt heads of the seatpost and saddle clamp.
Consider using solder. That might be easier to undo. But what do I know.

Have you considered dynamo powered lights? If you use a hub dynamo, he won't even have to switch the lights on or off. I like 'em a lot.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-18-18, 04:34 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, 81 miyata 912 and 86 miyata 312.

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
consider using solder. That might be easier to undo. But what do i know.

Have you considered dynamo powered lights? If you use a hub dynamo, he won't even have to switch the lights on or off. I like 'em a lot.
+1
Old 07-19-18, 12:30 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (in USA)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh, my! That's nice! I think the 610 is an even-better platform for what you built here than the highest-end touring bikes.

You might also consider some theft-resistant wheel skewers, though I'm not sure how well the rears work with horizontal dropouts. Those are some nice, flashy wheels... Sometimes these things also come with a replacement for the seatpost clamp, which may or may not work with that frame.
Old 07-19-18, 06:05 PM
revcp 

Originally Posted by DiegoFrogs View Post
Oh, my! That's nice! I think the 610 is an even-better platform for what you built here than the highest-end touring bikes.

You might also consider some theft-resistant wheel skewers, though I'm not sure how well the rears work with horizontal dropouts. Those are some nice, flashy wheels... Sometimes these things also come with a replacement for the seatpost clamp, which may or may not work with that frame.
I've actually been studying up on anti theft skewers. So far the reasonably priced ones all seem to be pretty easily defeated.
Old 07-20-18, 06:47 AM
revcp 

Consider using solder. That might be easier to undo. But what do I know.

The wheels my sister-in-law contributed were already built up, so for now I really didn't think about adding a dynamo hub. His former bike is outfitted with lights front and rear (Princeton Tec on the front, Serfas on the rear, both AAA), so we'll switch those over. The elder son, who lives in Minneapolis, has the powder coated and rebuilt 1991 Stumpjumper, and that build does have a dynamo hub with Busch + Muller front and rear lights.
Old 07-20-18, 01:12 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1977 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1700 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 32 Posts
He is a XC and track runner, and a swimmer, so the hills will be just what he's looking for. He's decided not to do college sports, as for the past several years so much of his time has been dominated by athletics. He's looking forward to being able to spontaneously take days and weekends to get out.
Our little boy went to state 2 years in a row for doubles in tennis. He went to University of MN- with his doubles partner- neither of them played- the college game was far beyond the HS game- even at "state" level.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 07-20-18, 01:50 PM
revcp 

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy View Post
Our little boy went to state 2 years in a row for doubles in tennis. He went to University of MN- with his doubles partner- neither of them played- the college game was far beyond the HS game- even at "state" level.
Yeah, it's tough competition at that level. Our son went to state in swimming, and would have had a mid-term time in the fly at Luther, but studies are going to lock him up enough Apart from that he wants his freedom.
Old 06-18-19, 04:18 AM
Dordetin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This bike is just great. When I was at university, I could only dream of such. I lived far away from the university and therefore every morning I went to classes by bicycle. I also liked to ride around the city, it really inspired me. I love to draw, although not a professional in this, but I do it much better than writing an essay. For me, there is nothing worse than writing such work. So, my real salvation was https://ca.edubirdie.com/buy-an-essay-online, where really professionals work. I do not know a single service where you can buy an essay online and at the same oo will be written very high quality. So I could safely enjoy cycling and also earn money by delivering the necessary documents or items to people.

Last edited by Dordetin; 06-21-19 at 03:21 AM.
Old 06-18-19, 09:29 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 419 Post(s)
Quoted: 5362 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 61 Posts
Now that the thread is revived, @revcp, is there an 11-month review from your son?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-18-19, 01:26 PM
revcp 

Now that the thread is revived, @revcp, is there an 11-month review from your son?
Ha! I'm the proud father of a zombie thread! My son loves his bike. No one there knows what it really is, of course, but he has really enjoyed exploring the roads and trails around Decorah. I'm actually responding to this post 730 miles into my 4000 tour on another classic, a 1985 Trek 720.
Old 07-01-19, 05:12 AM
Katie Webber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a great option for college.
Old 07-01-19, 06:25 AM
NoControl 
Look Ma! No Hands!

Bikes: Troll, Raleigh Twenty, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I'll probably send a dozen or so with him. I'll also tell him that if something happens to the bike, something happens to the bike. He's the kind of kid who would take it hard and feel personally responsible if it were to get stolen or damaged. Can't have that.
My son went to college in Boston. Two bikes stolen. My nephew went to college in NY. Two bikes stolen. Daughter went to college in NH, one bike stolen. I got smart with my niece and gave her a beater (but very serviceable) old Phillips. She never had to lock it, and it never got stolen.

"You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending" -C.S. Lewis

"Sobriety sucks." -Me
Old 07-07-19, 11:37 AM
Katie Webber

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In college, many of my friends had bicycles. It is very convenient to get to college in the morning. It saves a lot of time. Some were even professional cyclists. We had the best bike parking in college. It was styled by the Tour de France. We received help from funds that are engaged in the development of cycling. One of the main activists was my friend research proposal writer about which you can read if you click here. After college, he set up his bike service. This is a very popular place in our city as it has an unusual design. It is styled as a garage of the 70s. You can see the photo below.
Old 07-07-19, 11:42 AM
Natalie Cascarr

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the first post on this forum that I read and immediately found a person from my city
Old 07-07-19, 03:01 PM

Bikes: Cinelli SC 1971, Daccordi 1985

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great build!
What size are those tires? What's te maximum tire size the frame would take?