Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Can you help me by ID-ing this bike?

Old 06-15-19, 05:42 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3779 Post(s)
Liked 3,283 Times in 2,145 Posts
-----

have been thimking for some time that the forum should bestow upon him a title such as Professor/Professeur/Professore...

...AHA! I've got it...DCI

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 06-15-19, 06:28 PM
gbi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
DCI MauriceMoss.....sounds good
Likes For gbi:
Old 06-18-19, 06:52 AM
Silvestru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello guys,

Thank you all for your time and efforts invested in this thread!

The past week has been full of work for me, therefore I didn't have much time for investigating and so on. Still, I contacted a page on Facebook - "Velo Liberia Grenoble" and after explaining everything, they too offered an ID ->> Liberia Gran Luxe.
I could not find information about this model yet but I'll continue in doing so and see how can I match it with mine.
If anybody has details about this model or any links, I would forever be grateful.

Regarding the frame and fork restoration, I'll start searching for some paint shops.
The right thing to do here is to get rid of the old paint, treat the steel and repaint it, correct? I would love to keep the old paint but given the rust in some places, I guess that's not a good ideea.

Last edited by Silvestru; 06-18-19 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-18-19, 09:59 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
Normally I would say leave it alone but the rust blisters under the paint make me lean toward repaint. The scrapes and abrasions just add to the justification. It is a very personal thing. I would do what you want to do and not take too much stock in what others have to say. Just consider their arguments one way or the other to make your decision.

Congrats on a great buy!
Old 06-19-19, 12:49 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
Here is a post I did a while back with links to online material on Liberia. It comes from a thread I started a while back on my introduction to the brand, a c.1972 Liberia that may be a Grand Luxe variant that was originally sold out of a bike shop in Columbia SC. I have been very pleased with mine, and it is exhibit A for the statement, "The French have a way with gaspipe." I suspect it is built with what later became Liberia 102 (unlike Carbolite 103, which was purely a Peugeot product made in house), and on a metric-gauged frame with a 28.0 mm seat tube exterior it takes a 25.8 mm seatpost, so a whisker over 1 mm-thick tube walls isn't too shabby for what was sold originally as a campus bike in the early 70s.

Liberia isn't seen too often in the U.S. because they apparently were doing well enough selling bikes in the Grenoble region. The majority of them I see appear to be in the Southeastern U.S. and date from the great bike boom, when distributors were combing Europe looking for product to sell.
Old 06-21-19, 02:39 AM
Silvestru

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Here is a post I did a while back with links to online material on Liberia. It comes from a thread I started a while back on my introduction to the brand, a c.1972 Liberia that may be a Grand Luxe variant that was originally sold out of a bike shop in Columbia SC. I have been very pleased with mine, and it is exhibit A for the statement, "The French have a way with gaspipe." I suspect it is built with what later became Liberia 102 (unlike Carbolite 103, which was purely a Peugeot product made in house), and on a metric-gauged frame with a 28.0 mm seat tube exterior it takes a 25.8 mm seatpost, so a whisker over 1 mm-thick tube walls isn't too shabby for what was sold originally as a campus bike in the early 70s.

Liberia isn't seen too often in the U.S. because they apparently were doing well enough selling bikes in the Grenoble region. The majority of them I see appear to be in the Southeastern U.S. and date from the great bike boom, when distributors were combing Europe looking for product to sell.
Thank you! It is full of Liberia history and information.
I started searching for Liberia and was aware of your post since Maurice shared his knowledge.
Old 06-21-19, 02:52 AM
Silvestru

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Even though there is a good chance for the frame to be Liberia made, I don't want to come off as disrespectful or anything and I'm still searching for other producers. Somebody suggested this frame may be a France-Loire.

On this note, I removed the BB cable guide (looks made from aluminium) and discovered there is a star shape stamp. Does this mean something?
Don't know if there are some other stamps under the paint. I decided to treat and remove the old paint and then, I'll inspect the frame more carefully, searching for clues.

Last edited by Silvestru; 06-21-19 at 03:18 AM.
Old 06-29-19, 05:49 PM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

have been thimking for some time that the forum should bestow upon him a title such as Professor/Professeur/Professore...

...AHA! I've got it...DCI

-----
I suddenly have an urge to get a pipe. And a hat. Maybe a mustache is in order, too.
Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 06-29-19, 05:58 PM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvestru
Even though there is a good chance for the frame to be Liberia made, I don't want to come off as disrespectful or anything and I'm still searching for other producers. Somebody suggested this frame may be a France-Loire.
I don't think that continuing the search is disrespectful at all. You should always look for the most evidence you can get to support a theory.
When it comes to frame IDs, in most cases, the best one can hope for is to be able to say that the features of a mystery frame are consistent with this manufacturer or that artisan. Or, if you're non-committal, that features aren't inconsistent with a certain known marque.

As for the suggestion that this is a Cycles France-Loire; it could be. Did the person who made that suggestion provide more conclusive supporting evidence? If so, it'd be great if you could post here, for future reference.

Last edited by MauriceMoss; 06-30-19 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-30-19, 03:39 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3779 Post(s)
Liked 3,283 Times in 2,145 Posts
Originally Posted by MauriceMoss
I suddenly have an urge to get a pipe. And a hat. Maybe a mustache is in order, too.
-----

...and lettuce not forget the knitted tie and eccentric vintage automobile...

...perhaps a Bristol would be in order for DCI Maurice...

-----
Old 07-01-19, 02:57 AM
Silvestru

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MauriceMoss
I don't think that continuing the search is disrespectful at all. You should always look for the most evidence you can get to support a theory.
When it comes to frame IDs, in most cases, the best one can hope for is to be able to say that the features of a mystery frame are consistent with this manufacturer or that artisan. Or, if you're non-committal, that features aren't inconsistent with a certain known marque.

As for the suggestion that this is a Cycles France-Loire; it could be. Did the person who made that suggestion provide more conclusive supporting evidence? If so, it'd be great if you could post here, for future reference.
I registered on Tonton Velo forum and began chatting with the folks there. Here is the link to the thread: https://forum.tontonvelo.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40762

People suggested a possible France Loire ID because of the colour, equipment and also the whistles of stay cables.
Old 07-01-19, 03:33 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
It's a Liberia

As per Mssr @MauriceMoss post:

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a Liberia...

Case closed!

We sold entry level and a few mid range Liberia bikes back in 1975-77. They rode nicely for what they were.

There were a number of large French bicycle manufacturers like Manufrance and Starnord that contract built lower priced bikes for other bike manufactures and also large bike shops throughout France. Buy enough bikes and they would put any name you wanted on them.

The swagged seat stay caps combined with the Vitus dropouts, lugs, and fork crown matches the photos of Liberia frames posted by @MauriceMoss.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 07-02-19, 08:55 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Some kind of late 80's Peugeot? resprayed frame not top of the line? but looks like nice frame.
I was going to say Peug too, until we got to the rear dropouts. Totally wrong. Definitely French, though... Gitane maybe?
Old 09-30-19, 02:06 PM
Nodesktophero

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you could identify it. The cable guides are the same as my Payan, an old french brand.
Old 12-02-19, 09:48 AM
Silvestru

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello guys!

So... some time passed and in the meantime I slowly developed the project and now, the frame is repainted, the handlebar has been polished and dressed in leather, consumables have been bought, etc.
Still need to find a matching seat post, some white perforated leather to cover my existing saddle and Mafac hoods.
Besides that, all I need to do now is to give the parts a good clean (looking for some products), buy decals and piece everything up together.

On this note, was wandering if somebody can spot if the tubing is really Reynolds and what type is it.

Last edited by Silvestru; 12-02-19 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-02-19, 01:06 PM
Hagiadiz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice piece!
Old 12-02-19, 01:54 PM
Silvestru

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
uploading some pics for the more curious

Old 12-02-19, 01:55 PM
Silvestru

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Old 12-04-19, 02:11 AM
mikemikes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
true, i think it is not a Peugeot
Old 12-04-19, 04:20 AM
Silvestru

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Could you help me determine if the tubing is Reynolds 531 or Super Vitus 980? Or maybe even Liberia 102?

Many thanks,